Christians...Please be careful!

Christians...Please be careful!

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

b
Enigma

Seattle

Moves
08 Feb 14
1 edit

To all the Christians on this site (and you know who you are), a few suggestions if I may:

Please be careful when debating and/or discussing matters of faith with non believers. There is often a fine line between exchanging of views and heated debates. It must be remembered that faith is a gift, some are given this gift early in their lives, and others in old age. Non believers have their views for many different reasons i.e. Some are trying to use human logic and reason to find spiritual truth, some have seen the institutions of Christanity used in a dishonest or destructive way, some have seen those claiming to be Christians doing very un-Christian things. Whatever the reasons, please be respectful and friendly to non believers. Sometimes it's better to say nothing and simply try to set a good example. Remember, these folks who say they are non believers, are often struggling with the concept of spirituality deep in there own thoughts, debating the concept of Christianity forceful manner will only drive them away. I became a Christian many years ago by attending a high school young life group, we met for 30 min. and sang songs, and read small bits of scripture. I can tell you however, if someone had tried to win me over by winning a debate with me, I'd still be a non believer!...so please be careful. Sometimes less is more.πŸ™‚

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
08 Feb 14

Originally posted by bill718
To all the Christians on this site (and you know who you are), a few suggestions if I may:

Please be careful when debating and/or discussing matters of faith with non believers. There is often a fine line between exchanging of views and heated debates. It must be remembered that faith is a gift, some are given this gift early in their lives, and others i ...[text shortened]... a debate with me, I'd still be a non believer!...so please be careful. Sometimes less is more.πŸ™‚
For your comments to carry any real weight, I think you need to be a regular poster here yourself demonstrating what this looks like.

Black Beastie

Scheveningen

Moves
08 Feb 14

Please be careful when debating and/or discussing matters of faith with non believers. There is often a fine line between exchanging of views and heated debates. It must be remembered that faith is a gift, some are given this gift early in their lives, and others i ...[text shortened]... a debate with me, I'd still be a non believer!...so please be careful. Sometimes less is more.πŸ™‚
Methinks faith is just a decision, and mind alone the root of everything. Feel free to make decisions according to the evaluation of your mind;
May All Beings Be Happy
😡

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
08 Feb 14
1 edit

Faith is mysterious.

But it is only one half of the matter. The other half is the faithfulness of the God in whom we put faith.

If God were not faithful, all the faith in the world would mean nothing. God is faithFUL. Otherwise ...

" Lord Jesus, please protect these people from my blunders."

Infidel

Moves
08 Feb 14

Remember, these folks who say they are non believers, are often struggling with the concept of spirituality deep in there own thoughts...

Pfff...... puh-lease! Theist number 857 who thinks that an atheist is just a theist trying to break free.

How many of you are there??

Can't win a game of

38N Lat X 121W Lon

Moves
08 Feb 14

Preach the Gospel at all times and when necessary use words.
Francis of Assisi

πŸ™‚

Manny

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
08 Feb 14

Originally posted by Great King Rat
[b]Remember, these folks who say they are non believers, are often struggling with the concept of spirituality deep in there own thoughts...

Pfff...... puh-lease! Theist number 857 who thinks that an atheist is just a theist trying to break free.

How many of you are there??[/b]
Be careful, they may try to poison you with their beliefs...

/sarcasm off

Pffffft, Atheist #452 who thinks a theist is just an atheist who's been deluded to believe in fairy tales and what they've been promised to get in these fairy tales. Because who would believe in fairy tales unless they've been promised all kinds of 'stuff'.

Infidel

Moves
08 Feb 14

Originally posted by Suzianne
Be careful, they may try to poison you with their beliefs...

/sarcasm off

Pffffft, Atheist #452 who thinks a theist is just an atheist who's been deluded to believe in fairy tales and what they've been promised to get in these fairy tales. Because who would believe in fairy tales unless they've been promised all kinds of 'stuff'.
Don't worry, I won't be "poisoned". I have reality to hold on to.

I don't think a theist is just an atheist who's been deluded. When have I said so? The moment you believe these fairy tales you are not an atheist.

And yes, based on what the various believers of this forum have said, I have concluded that "stuff" is very important. At it's simplest form people believe "because it makes me happy", at it's saddest form it's because people fear they might not get the afterlife that they wish (see the various death- and destruction threats uttered by GB).

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
08 Feb 14
1 edit

1 Peter 3:14-16 (NASB) "14 But even if you should suffer for the sake of righteousness, you [a] are blessed. And do not fear their [b] intimidation, and do not be troubled, 15 but [c] sanctify Christ as Lord in your hearts, always being ready to make a [d] defense to everyone who asks you to give an account for the hope that is in you, yet with gentleness and [e] reverence; 16 [f] and keep a good conscience so that in the thing in which you are slandered, those who revile your good behavior in Christ will be put to shame." "Footnotes: a.1 Peter 3:14 Or would be; b.1 Peter 3:14 Lit fear; c.1 Peter 3:15 I.e. set apart; d.1 Peter 3:15 Or argument; or explanation; e.1 Peter 3:15 Or fear; f.1 Peter 3:16 Lit having a good."

Moves
08 Feb 14

hi bill, i like the cut of your jib, you sound like a good atheist in the making. we will welcome you with open arms when the penny drops.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
09 Feb 14

Originally posted by black beetle
Methinks faith is just a decision, and mind alone the root of everything. Feel free to make decisions according to the evaluation of your mind;
May All Beings Be Happy
😡
Hi, bb.... yes, it's all about a point in time decision.

Moves
09 Feb 14

Lately on this forum, it seems to me that both sides have been hardening their offensives and defenses (speaking as if the offenses and defenses can be distinguished from one another).

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
09 Feb 14

Christ said do not cast your pearls before swine, and to shake the dust off your feet and walk away. I guess 2000 years later the advice would be not to waste time participating in threads the purpose of which is to condemn the faithful.

Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness? And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel? And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people. Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you, (2 Corinthians 6:14-17 KJV)

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
09 Feb 14

Originally posted by Great King Rat
Don't worry, I won't be "poisoned". I have reality to hold on to.

I don't think a theist is just an atheist who's been deluded. When have I said so? The moment you believe these fairy tales you are not an atheist.

And yes, based on what the various believers of this forum have said, I have concluded that "stuff" is very important. At it's simple ...[text shortened]... get the afterlife that they wish (see the various death- and destruction threats uttered by GB).
I think maybe it's more important to get along with each other while we're here. People can make up their own minds about the serious stuff. Although, on the other hand, a close friend of mine died in 2008 of a stroke (probably because he either stopped taking his medication, or because he was too poor to afford it and was too proud to ask for help) and even though I had known him a long time, I had never pressed him about religion. He died an agnostic, never really knowing God. He was not yet 50. I regret not having prayed with him/for him more.

"Don't worry, I won't be "poisoned". I have reality to hold on to."

So do I, thank God. πŸ™‚

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
09 Feb 14

Originally posted by Rajk999
Christ said do not cast your pearls before swine, and to shake the dust off your feet and walk away. I guess 2000 years later the advice would be not to waste time participating in threads the purpose of which is to condemn the faithful.

Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? an ...[text shortened]... Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you, (2 Corinthians 6:14-17 KJV)
We are commanded to be "fishers of men". But I agree, this does not mean we have to be bashing our heads against brick walls. There is a time to walk away.