Christianity: Religion of love?

Christianity: Religion of love?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

T

Moves
24 Dec 10
2 edits

There have been a number of threads and posts that are Islamophobic or Homophobic in nature. From what I can tell, the vast majority have been posted by Christians and/or supported by Christians. It also seems that the vast majority of those speaking out against such hatred have been non-Christians.

Based on that, it seems that Christianity is more a religion of hatred rather than of love. Many Christians speak about love and forgiveness, yet show their hypocrisy.

rc

Moves
24 Dec 10

Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
It seems to me that all such expressions are an inverted concept that Love is God, not that God is love.

rc

Moves
24 Dec 10
2 edits

There have been a number of threads and posts that are Islamophobic or Homophobic in nature. From what I can tell, the vast majority have been posted by Christians and/or supported by Christians. It also seems that the vast majority of those speaking out against such hatred have been non-Christians.

Based on that, it seems that Christianity is more a ...[text shortened]... rather than of love. Many Christians speak about love and forgiveness, yet show their hypocrisy.
Christians speak about love and forgiveness, yet show hypocrisy - finkoffun

we are under no duress to accept any acts or a morality that is contrary to scripture. Christ upheld the word of God and so do we, and no attempt to either water it down or make it politically correct will nullify this. We are not in the habit of pandering to convenience store religionists who pick and chose what they want to accept and/or reject, depending upon their own life choices and self established morality.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
24 Dec 10

Based on that, it seems that Christianity is more a ...[text shortened]... rather than of love. Many Christians speak about love and forgiveness, yet show their hypocrisy.
It seems to me a lot of hate gets posted here and it isn't just Christians doing it
either. You have hate baiters looking for ways to condemn Christians or to cast
them into bad light. The human race acts this way it isn't a Christian trait, the
reason we do need a savior is because of our sins, our hate, our unkindness, and
so on. With respect to hating some here, simply disagreeing with them is enough
to be called hateful, standing for a standard others don't agree with is enough to
be called hateful. Non-Christians hating others Christian or not shows us that
all people have this ability to hate within them. You attempting to cast Christians
in this light shows us your not ammune to it either in my opinion.
Kelly

T

Moves
24 Dec 10
2 edits

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
Christians speak about love and forgiveness, yet show hypocrisy - finkoffun

we are under no duress to accept any acts or a morality that is contrary to scripture. Christ upheld the word of God and so do we, and no attempt to either water it down or make it politically correct will nullify this. We are not in the habit of pandering to convenience ...[text shortened]... nt to accept and/or reject, depending upon their own life choices and self established morality.
Seems unlikely that perpetuating hateful stereotypes about Muslims and homosexuals is something that Jesus would have condoned.

T

Moves
25 Dec 10

Originally posted by KellyJay
It seems to me a lot of hate gets posted here and it isn't just Christians doing it
either. You have hate baiters looking for ways to condemn Christians or to cast
them into bad light. The human race acts this way it isn't a Christian trait, the
reason we do need a savior is because of our sins, our hate, our unkindness, and
so on. With respect to hatin ...[text shortened]... to cast Christians
in this light shows us your not ammune to it either in my opinion.
Kelly
Christians on this forum cast themselves in this light. I'm merely pointing it out.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
25 Dec 10

Seems unlikely that going out of ones way to perpetuate hateful stereotypes about Muslims and homosexuals is not something that Jesus would have condoned.
Ditto
Kelly

rc

Moves
25 Dec 10
4 edits

Seems unlikely that going out of ones way to perpetuate hateful stereotypes about Muslims and homosexuals is not something that Jesus would have condoned.
Can you think of one homosexual act or act of violence that Christ advocated, no neither can I. Indeed Gods word condemns them both! If an innocent women is facing death because of an unjust law enshrined by an Islamic republic then i think its good and proper to draw attention to that injustice, as for homosexual acts, they too stand condemned in scripture. It seems to me that once again this post is in danger of descending into a personal attack, as if it was of course intended for serious debate in the beginning.

T

Moves
25 Dec 10

Originally posted by KellyJay
Ditto
Kelly
I have no idea what you mean by that. Also note that I reworded my post since it did not convey my intended meaning.

T

Moves
25 Dec 10
3 edits

Can you think of one homosexual act or act of violence that Christ advocated, no neither can I. Indeed Gods word condemns them both! If an innocent women is facing death because of an unjust law enshrined by an Islamic republic then i think its good and proper to draw attention to that injustice, as for homosexual acts, they too stand condemned in s ...[text shortened]... ing into a personal attack, as if it was of course intended for serious debate in the beginning.
Portraying the heinous acts of a small percentage of Muslims as "Islamic Justice" is akin to portraying heinous acts perpetuated by a small percentage of Christians as "Christian Justice".

You post does not address the following:
"Seems unlikely that going out of ones way to perpetuate hateful stereotypes about Muslims and homosexuals is not something that Jesus would have condoned.

rc

Moves
25 Dec 10
2 edits

Portraying the heinous acts of a small percentage of Muslims as "Islamic Justice" is akin to portraying heinous acts perpetuated by a small percentage of Christians as "Christian Justice".
Its enshrined in the laws of an entire state, that is representative of around 140 million Muslims, how is that in any sense of the word, a small minority? And no its not the same as Christian justice, for the comparison was made and i asked how many Christians were motivated to acts of violent reprisal against the cartoonists and their publishers and not one was to be found, what is more, when they were published, entire countries condemned them leading violent marches throughout the Islamic world! How is that in any way shape or form the same, for a clear comparison can be made?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
25 Dec 10

Firstly, you did not point out any examples of homophobia by Christians. Certainly a number of Christians on this forum morally disapprove of homosexual acts and certainly I know some people on this forum have not diplomatically expressed this view. The instances of homophobia however are few and I suspect you exaggerate here.

Secondly, it is ridiculous to extrapolate any generalisation about Christianity from what you read on this forum. Two posters are from JW organisation, which is in fact a minority religion and not recognised as Christian anyway by mainstream churches. Two or three others are fundamentalist Christians, repudiating evolution altogether. That leaves maybe a few non-regular Christian posters whose religious affiliations are not clearly known to me. There are perhaps three Catholics in total who post irregularly, as well as Daniel58, but that hardly represents the Catholic Church . You do not have a representative sample of Christians here.

Thirdly, if anyone is guilty of homophobia, it is vishvahetu and karoly aczel. vishvahetu believes that a homosexual orientation, as well as black skin, is the result of bad karma in a past life. karoly aczel believes that homosexuality is a transitional stage in human evolution which is likely to disappear soon anyway. It is this kind of bizarre psychobabble, not articulated by any Christian, that deserves criticism. But, hey, you've got your own agenda.

T

Moves
25 Dec 10

Its enshrined in the laws of an entire state, that is representative of around 140 million Muslims, how is that in any sense of the word, a small minority? And no its not the same as Christian justice, for the comparison was made and i asked how many Christians were motivated to acts of violent reprisal against the cartoonists and their publishers a ...[text shortened]... ent marches! How is that in any way shape or form the same, for a clear comparison can be made?
Your reasoning is once again terribly flawed. By your "reasoning", one can just as easily point to the US invasion of Iraq or a lynching by the KKK.

You missed my edit:
"For all your rhetoric, it doesn't address the following:
Seems unlikely that perpetuating hateful stereotypes about Muslims and homosexuals is something that Jesus would have condoned."

rc

Moves
25 Dec 10
1 edit

Your reasoning is once again terribly flawed. By your "reasoning", one can just as easily point to the US invasion of Iraq or a lynching by the KKK.

You missed my edit:
"For all your rhetoric, it doesn't address the following:
Seems unlikely that perpetuating hateful stereotypes about Muslims and homosexuals is something that Jesus would have condoned."
no its not, the invasion of Iraq was politically motivated by greed, not be religion, although given the record of American right wing neo cons i could very well be persuaded that it was religious. The truth of the matter is very easy to establish for a comparison can be made between the Christian reaction to the portrayal of religious figures and the Islamic one, you have offered nothing to the contrary and have sought to diminish its import on some irrelevant and unrelated basis.

I have no comment with regard to your assertion for as Conrau points out, i see no basis for any phobic posting from Christians other than your assertion that there was such and i am certainly not going to give your assertion any credence by commenting upon it, for to do so, would be to validate it.

T

Moves
25 Dec 10

Originally posted by Conrau K
Firstly, you did not point out any examples of homophobia by Christians. Certainly a number of Christians on this forum morally disapprove of homosexual acts and certainly I know some people on this forum have not diplomatically expressed this view. The instances of homophobia however are few and I suspect you exaggerate here.

Secondly, it is ridiculous ...[text shortened]... ot articulated by any Christian, that deserves criticism. But, hey, you've got your own agenda.
Perhaps you missed the following:
"Based on that, it seems that Christianity is more a religion of hatred rather than of love."

The OP was a call for Christians on this forum to live up to a higher standard than what has been exhibited.