Christian Voice

Christian Voice

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Apologist

Moves
01 Mar 05

Originally posted by Redmike
Interestingly, Islamic African countries have the lowest infection rates.
Are you suggesting we should institute the death penalty for sex outside of marriage, as they do?

I'm sure it would work, but it seems a bit extreme to me.

R
Godless Commie

Glasgow

Moves
01 Mar 05

Originally posted by Darfius
Are you suggesting we should institute the death penalty for sex outside of marriage, as they do?

I'm sure it would work, but it seems a bit extreme to me.
Not at all, I'm just replying to the (unsubstantiated) point about catholic areas in Africa having lower infection rates.
And I don't think many of them have the death penalty for extra-marital sex.

p

Graceland.

Moves
01 Mar 05

Originally posted by belgianfreak
Another argument (that I don't claim to know much about) is: what is the difference between a bunch of cancer cells & a foetus? We wouldn't hesitate to remove one. One answer to this is that if one can survive on it's own then it is alive - therrefore a foetus that is incapable of living outside of the mother is not yet alive.

Belgian, I believe we are responsible for every life we end. Ending lives is part of our daily routine, whether purposefull or accidental. Without ending something else's life, we would not ourselves survive. I may ask that you respect a great old oak tree. One that perhaps has been in your garden since you were a child. You may feel some soft of guilt for chopping down this tree, just because you would rather install a tennis court.

I've thought about the 'potential life' argument before. If we claim it is a crime to not let a foetus develop to it's full potential how is this different to not ensuring that every potential life comes about by ensuring that every egg a woman produces is fertalised?

I don't believe we've attributed life to an unfertilised egg. In that regard without modern science, we wouldn't even know when a woman has an unfertilised egg. It is not our responsibility to create life, but rather not purposefully prevent life from happening in the first place. True, you might argue that we kill weeds, however weeds kill grass and plants. Every organism realises its a dog eat dog world, but for an intelligent species such as ourselves to have reached the extreme where we actively kill our own living organisms because they would cramp our lifestyle is nothing but selfish. That is taking away an opportunity we were given, a chance at only one life in this entire universe.

This aside, I was not arguing the merits of abortion, rather expressing my concern about a group that is planning to use terror tactics to force their views on the UK in the name of God.

Ok, I would be rather surprised should such actions reach extremes and no-doubt the media (much life they always do) is blowing the story out of proportion. I do however ask you to question to what extremes you would go for your family.

cheers

p

Graceland.

Moves
01 Mar 05

Originally posted by Redmike
Really? We're talking about a children's cancer charity here.

I realise that. I am opposed to accepting blood money, irrespective of the requirement. I would rather have the whole village be sacked, than sacrifise a virgin to the barbarians. Just my view I guess.