Christ as The Angel of Jehovah

Christ as The Angel of Jehovah

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
20 Dec 21
2 edits

The Angel of Jehovah and Jehovah are interchangeable in the Isrealites being led by God into the good land of Canaan.

1.) Jehovah promises to send His Angel before them as they enter.

"I am now sending an Angel before you to keep you in the way and to bring you into the place which I have prepared. Be careful before Him, and listen to His voice; do not rebel against Him, for He will not pardon your transgression; for My name is in Him." (Exodus 20:20,21)

Galveston would say this is just representation. Surely that is not wrong to say that. But how this Angel is behaves as God Himself cannot be missed. And the words "My name is in Him" is no small thing. It means God Himself is in Him. He is not to be rebelled against. He deals with iniquities and transgressions.

2.) Jehovah God Himself was the one going before Israel into Canaan!

"Know therefore today that Jehovah your God is the One crossing over before you as a consuming fire; it is He also who will destroy them, and it is He who will subdue them before you, so that you may dispossess them and destroy them quickly, as Jehovah has said to you.

Do not say in your heart when Jehovah your God drives them out from before you, Because of my righteousness, Jehovah has brought me in to possess this land. Rather, it is because of the wickedness of these nations that Jehovah is about to dispossess them from before you." (Deuteronomy 9:3,4)

The Angel of Jehovah was Jehovah.
Jehovah's name is in the Angel.

The mysterious triune-ness of God is glimpsed into again in the Old Testament.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
21 Dec 21

@galveston75

Also in that scripture did you catch that Jesus very clearly is called a GOD but he is not called the Almighty God here and in fact as other scriptures clearly show he sits at the right hand or a subordinate position to his Father Jehovah.
You really should do a little more research and do some prayer in trying to get your beliefs straightened out.

There are many names associated with Jehovah in the Hebrew Bible. It is not necessary that each and every name always appear.

In the above example the Angel of Jehovah was sent by God (Exodus 23:20-21). That certainly indicates submission. Yet God says it was the Sender God who went before them and led them into the land (Deut. 9:3,4)[/b]

To say the Angel is representative is not wrong.
But it is also not wrong to see clearly it was God Himself in the representative.

I believe that is the significance of "My name is in Him" among other things.

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
23 Dec 21

@sonship said
@galveston75
[quote] Also in that scripture did you catch that Jesus very clearly is called a GOD but he is not called the Almighty God here and in fact as other scriptures clearly show he sits at the right hand or a subordinate position to his Father Jehovah.
You really should do a little more research and do some prayer in trying to get your beliefs straightened out. [/qu ...[text shortened]... ative.

I believe that is the significance of "My name is in Him" among other things.
Geeez. Do you really not see how messed up this is? I've met many including a couple relatives I have that were on the edge of completely being misunderstand able, but my friend you are out there. Your reasoning and play on words is really one to remember.
This is nothing personal at all. I'm sure your a great guy....

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
23 Dec 21
1 edit

@galveston75

If I had only this passage (either Exo. 23:20-21 or Deut 9:3) then I would probably not be so clear. It is the accumulation of many passages which gives me the confidence to understand that THAT is probably what is meant.

I do not say the Israelites might have said - "Wait, Jehovah said to our fathers He would send an Angel, and to us He said He Himself went before us."

No I do not necessarily say that was the case. But the bird's eye view of the history of God's move indicates His triune nature.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
23 Dec 21
1 edit

In Judges 13 a man of God called the Angel of Jehovah appeared to the parents of Samson.

"And the Angel of Jehovah appeared to the woman . . . " (v3) . He gave her instructions about the child she would bear.

She goes and tells her husband about the unusual Visitor.

"Then the woman came and told her husband, saying, A man of God came to me; and His appearance was like the appearance of an angel of God, very awesome. And I did not ask Him where He was from, nor did He tell me His name." (v.6)

This was Jehovah God appearing as a man with glorious awesomeness.
Manoah the woman's husband was not there. But he entreats God in prayer to meet the same Visitor.

"Then Manoah entreated Jehovah and said, Oh, my Lord! Let the man of God, whom You sent, come again to us, I pray, and let Him teach us what we should do with the boy that is to be bon. And God hearkened to the voice of Manoah and the Angel of God came again to the woman while she was sitting in the field, but Manoah her husband was not with her." (v.9)

This is a window into the triune nature of Jehovah God also. The account is deliberate as everything in the Bible is purposeful and deliberate.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
23 Dec 21

And the woman hurried and ran off, and she told her husband and said to him, The man who came to me that day has just appeared to me. (v.10)

She does not yet know that this is the Angel of Jehovah. He is a man, she calls a man of God.

"And Manoah rose up and followed his wife and came to the man. And he said to Him, Are you the man who spoke to this woman? And He aid, I am." (v.11)

There is no question that this is a man. He says He was that man the woman spoke of. These things are not miscellaneous insignificant trivialities. The Holy Spirit is giving a foretaste of God as Christ the man to come for our redemption.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
23 Dec 21
3 edits

The triune nature of God is seen in the relationship between the man / the Angel of Jehovah with Manoah and his wife.

"And the Angel of Jehovah said to Manoah, Observe all that I spoke to this woman." (v.13)

They continue to converse until Manoah asks for the name of the man of God who we are told is the Angel of Jehovah many times.

"Then Manoah said to the Angel of Jehovah, What is Your name, so that when Your words come to pass, we may honor You? And the Angel of Jehovah said to him,

Why do you ask about My name, since it is wonderful?" (v.18)

This is God Himself who will become incarnate and be called Wonderful in Isaiah 9:6. That also means hard to comprehend, beyond our powers to fully explain, fantastic. The Triune God is Wonderful.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
23 Dec 21
3 edits

Then this Wonderful One, this man of God, the Angel of Jehovah ascended from there with the smoke of an offering the couple sacrificed for Him. And when they saw it they realized that they had seen God.

"And Manoah took a kid with the meal offering and offered it up upon the rock to Jehovah; and He acted wondrously, while Manoah and his wife looked on. And when the flame went up from the altar to heaven, the Angel of Jehovah went up in the flame of the altar, while Manoah and his wife looked on; and they fell on their faces to the ground." (vs.19,20)

This was like the ascension of Christ before His birth, life, death, resurrection and ascension in the New Testament. Nothing is wasted or accidental here. We are being given a glimpse into God's economical move. in His Trinity.

"And the Angel of Jehovah did not appear again to Manoah and his wife. Then Manoah knew that He was the Angel of Jehovah." (v.21)
And they knew that they had seen God.

"And Manoah said to his wife, We will surely die, for we have seen God.

But his wife said to him, If Jehovah had been pleased to kill us, He would not have taken a burnt offering and a meal offering from our hand, nor would He have shown us all these things or let us hear a thing like this at this time." (v.23)

Christ is the fulfillment of the offerings to God in the Old Testament.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
25 Dec 21
2 edits

In Exodus God said His name was in the Angel of Jehovah.
" . . . My name is in Him" (See Exo. 23:20,21) .
In Judges Manoah and his wife saw the Angel of Jehovah and knew that they had seen God.

Sometimes the OT may not specify a particular Angel. It may say "an angel". Few notable places in which Jehovah and the Angel of Jehovah are interchangeable titles.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
25 Dec 21

That's what I mean. The case is pretty strong. Its hard to deny.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
25 Dec 21
3 edits

The Old Testament is not a miscellaneous scrap book of unrelated pieces of trivialities.

The instance of the Angel of Jehovah ascending WITH the offering to Jehovah strongly foreshadows of what is to come. That is that the Son of God being the fulfillment and the reality of all the offerings to Jehovah.

The Spirit who breathed out the book of Judges to the writer Samuel, was WAY ahead of all of us. It gave this symbolic glimpse among many other little windows into Christ the Son offering Himself to God that we be justified rather than slain because of our uncleaness and iniquity.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
25 Dec 21
1 edit

After He ascended wondrously with the offering of the kid with the meal They expected to die because of seeing God Almighty.

"We will surely die, for we have seen God. But his wife said to him, If Jehovah had been pleased to kill us, He would not have taken a burnt offering from our hand. . . ." (Judges 13:22,23)

Not only so the fact that God revealed to them anything had to have been that He wanted to preserve them for His purpose.

"He would not have taken a burnt offering and a meal offering from our hand, nor would He have shown us all these things or let us hear a thing like this at this time." (v.23)

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
25 Dec 21

That's what I mean. The case is very strong.

Moves
27 Dec 21

@sonship said
I am a following brother.
What does mean within the context of the Recovery movement, does it mean you are permitted to teach?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
27 Dec 21
5 edits

@divegeester

I am encouraged by the New Testament which is our constitution (so to speak) to be a normal functioning member of the Body of Christ.

That is just like any other Christian here who has a burden to teach something of the word of Christ.

Teaching the word of God is something like learning to cut hair. You have to practice it to learn more. I make mistakes. I will make more mistakes. But like others here, I do try to make some things clear and with a attitude of patience and love. I may not be always successful.

In my journey from darkness to the light of Christ, all who helped me were human, imperfect, and not infallible. But I did get help.

I never insisted that I only am officially "authorized" in any sense to come here and explain to some opened hearts and minds the salvation of Christ.

You seem to be hunting and hunting for indications of hierarchical organization.
Is that all you're familiar with in your spiritual search?