Can God make a rock that He cannot lift?

Can God make a rock that He cannot lift?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
13 Oct 12

I was once asked this question. Can God make a rock/stone so big He could not lift it?
Your thoughts? This actually will lead to another very big question.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
13 Oct 12

Originally posted by checkbaiter
I was once asked this question. Can God make a rock/stone so big He could not lift it?
This question was asked here awhile back. I think the following link gives an adequate answer:

http://www.str.org/site/News2?page=NewsArticle&id=5160

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
13 Oct 12

The question has been asked about 100 times. It's part of the continually recycling thread topics. Wait another few months and it'll pop up yet again.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
13 Oct 12

Originally posted by RJHinds
This question was asked here awhile back. I think the following link gives an adequate answer:

http://www.str.org/site/News2?page=NewsArticle&id=5160
The site has merit, but I can build something I could not lift, so does not the question still apply? They also miss the point God cannot lie.
The bigger question is this....Is God in total control of every thing that happens?

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
13 Oct 12
1 edit

The site has merit, but I can build something I could not lift, so does not the question still apply? They also miss the point God cannot lie.
The bigger question is this....Is God in total control of every thing that happens?
God has the ability to exercise total control of every thing that happens. However, he allows things to happen that He does not control because of His secret plan that no person knows but Him. So God can do as He pleases, because he can exercise total control whenever He wishes. God knows the likely outcomes for all actions He allows to happen and, therefore, can tell the end from the beginning. He is the master of all masters at the chessboard of life.

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
13 Oct 12

God has the ability to exercise total control of every thing that happens. However, he allows things to happen that He does not control because of His secret plan that no person knows but Him. So God can do as He pleases, because he can exercise total control whenever He wishes. God knows the likely outcomes for all actions He allows to happen and, therefo ...[text shortened]... can tell the end from the beginning. He is the master of all masters at the chessboard of life.
Does god know the likely outcome for all actions, or does god know absolutely the outcome of every action?

jb

Moves
13 Oct 12

Originally posted by rwingett
Does god know the likely outcome for all actions, or does god know absolutely the outcome of every action?
Maybe god doesn't want to know.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
13 Oct 12

Originally posted by rwingett
Yes you are right. I was typing ahead of my slow thinking again. Certainly He knows the absolute outcome of every action that a free-will creature of His making will likely choose.

Moves
13 Oct 12

Can God ask a question He cannot answer?

F

Moves
13 Oct 12
1 edit

[God] allows things to happen that He does not control because of His secret plan that no person knows but Him.
Can God not keep the existence of his "secret plan" secret?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
13 Oct 12

Originally posted by JS357
Can God ask a question He cannot answer?
I would have to refer to RJ's website...

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
13 Oct 12

God has the ability to exercise total control of every thing that happens. However, he allows things to happen that He does not control because of His secret plan that no person knows but Him. So God can do as He pleases, because he can exercise total control whenever He wishes. God knows the likely outcomes for all actions He allows to happen and, therefo ...[text shortened]... can tell the end from the beginning. He is the master of all masters at the chessboard of life.
I agree with you in part, yes He has the ability but He is not restrained due to a "secret plan" as you say. I believe He is restrained because of His honor, His righteousness, because He is holy.
He has the ability to stop Satan but is restrained because all authority was passed to Satan, legally, by Adam.
When he tempted Jesus, he offered Jesus all the kingdoms of the world that "were delivered to him". They were delivered by Adam, so Satan is called "the god of this world". Satan is the one who holds control over this world. God can intervene when He is "asked". That is one of the reasons for prayer.
However, Satan has been defeated, by the works of Jesus Christ. The full completion of this event is still being held in abeyance until the full "restitution of time", or when God says "enough", and sends Jesus back for His church.
Then Satan will be cast in the fiery lake along with his host(demons) and those who chose not to believe in our Savior.

V

Windsor, Ontario

Moves
13 Oct 12

that depends on how you define god. the answer could be yes or no.

if you define god with limitations then the answer would be yes.
if you define god as omnipotent, the answer is no.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
13 Oct 12
4 edits

Originally posted by VoidSpirit
that depends on how you define god. the answer could be yes or no.

if you define god with limitations then the answer would be yes.
if you define god as omnipotent, the answer is no.
Yes and No, He is omnipotent but limits Himself, by honoring what is right. If Satan was "given" all authority by Adam, then how could God take it away, since He gave it to Adam in the first place?
He gave it to Adam without strings attached. Adam, though deceived gave it to Satan.
Very simple really. Omnipotent? Yes, God knew this would happen and planned how to restore things with mankind through His Son.
His manifold wisdom is beyond what I can comprehend, but I understand this much.
He has retaken this authority and had a plan....
1 Cor 2:6-9
Howbeit we speak wisdom among them that are perfect: yet not the wisdom of this world, nor of the princes of this world, that come to nought:

7 But we speak the wisdom of God in a mystery, even the hidden wisdom, which God ordained before the world unto our glory:

8[/b] Which none of the princes of this world knew: for had they known it, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory.

9 But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.
KJV

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
13 Oct 12

highlighting paradoxes in the universe is on the path to understanding