Calling out the faithful

Calling out the faithful

Spirituality

A fun title

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
16 Jun 07

Originally posted by scottishinnz
The God of the bible has no explanatory power. For example, an explanation (theory / supported hypothesis) in science must have predictive power. "Goddunnit" is nothing most that an excuse, another way to say "we don't know" without having to say "we don't know".
As far as I know there is no scientific way to prove the existence of God. But nevertheless I see the "proof" all around me.

I read somewhere recently that atheism is a philosophical impossibility. That in order to know that there is know God, one would have to know everything there is to know.

What do you think of this?

a
Andrew Mannion

Melbourne, Australia

Moves
16 Jun 07

Originally posted by josephw
As far as I know there is no scientific way to prove the existence of God. But nevertheless I see the "proof" all around me.

I read somewhere recently that atheism is a philosophical impossibility. That in order to know that there is know God, one would have to know everything there is to know.

That's as fallacious as the reverse - that in order to know there is a god you must know everything.
I'm guessing you read it in some sort of Christian apologia, or some rant against atheists. Everyone can rally support for their position or they wouldn't hold that position. But I wouldn't read too much into any stereotypical account of atheists or atheism. The truth is, we're pretty much the same as you.

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
16 Jun 07

It's rubbish. You can be an atheist in the same way you can be a theist, with incomplete evidence. Atheism is "not believing" in God, not "knowing there is no God".

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
16 Jun 07

You, scotty, are a worthy opponent!

Do you mind, "scotty"? I've seen someone use it before.
Thanks! And no, I don't mind one bit.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
17 Jun 07

So what's the problem Kelly? Only the judges will be critiquing the "sermons". It'll be fun to hear what they have to say.
Even Jesus hung out with the sinners. Which was everybody that was there at the time. I bet he had a smile on his face most of the time. Except when he was talking to the pharisees.

After all, it's really no different than any other ...[text shortened]... ink there's anything wrong with a good fight, do you?

I'm rambling again...
I'm at the end of a road trip, we drove half way across country, we are
on our way back now. I have my lap top with me, but don't always find
myself in a place I can connect to the internet. I should be home
soon, then we will see.
Kelly

Outkast

With White Women

Moves
17 Jun 07

Originally posted by KellyJay
I'm at the end of a road trip, we drove half way across country, we are
on our way back now. I have my lap top with me, but don't always find
myself in a place I can connect to the internet. I should be home
soon, then we will see.
Kelly
Catch you in the next round. Rest up.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.