Biblical literalists and literalisms

Biblical literalists and literalisms

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
27 Sep 17

Originally posted by @josephw
Is your god too small to do that? God created the whole universe and all life on earth in six literal days. Why is that so difficult for you to believe?
Does your all-literal no-allegory perspective, make your version of the Christian god 'bigger' than divegeester's version, to your way of thinking?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
27 Sep 17
3 edits

Originally posted by @divegeester
Are you accepting GoaD's claim that it is an "error" in the bible?
A copyist error among the many MSS of the Bible.
There are thousands of them among the thousands of manuscripts from antiquity.

It is by these many discrepancies that scholars are helped rather than hindered to ascertain likely original versions.

To those interested in more details of the general debate about biblical textural criticism :

A Formal Debate Between NT scholar (agnostic) Dr. Bart Erhman author of popular - (Misquoting Jesus) and Dr. James White prolific Christian scholar on the reliability of the text of the New Testament.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
27 Sep 17
2 edits

When was the last time you saw a tree that didn't have "leaves and roots and photosynthesis etc?"

To imagine that the genesis account of creation is anything other than literal is to think in unbelief. Jesus taught that the genesis account was real and literal.

Matthew 19:4
And he answered and said unto them, Have ye not read, that he which made them ...[text shortened]... universe and all life on earth in six literal days. Why is that so difficult for you to believe?
Why do you always conflate the issue? Did I even mention Adam and Eve?

I'm asking you if you believe the trees of life and knowledge were literal trees; and if they were, then where are they now?

Please don't respond about dinosaurs or rainbows or amoebas or creation timelines or whatever else pops into your head.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
27 Sep 17

Originally posted by @sonship
A copyist error among the many MSS of the Bible.
There are thousands of them among the thousands of manuscripts from antiquity.

It is by these many discrepancies that scholars are helped rather than hindered to ascertain likely original versions.

To those interested in more details of the general debate about biblical textural criticism :

A Forma ...[text shortened]... verses James White prolific Christian author -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moHInA9fAsI
Is it an error or not?

What is it with you lot and straight answers! I'm not judging I'm just asking a straight forward question.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
27 Sep 17
1 edit

Is it an error or not?

What is it with you lot and straight answers! I'm not judging I'm just asking a straight forward question.
I was not talking to you.
I know you started the thread. But I was not addressing you.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
27 Sep 17

I was not talking to you.
I know you started the thread. But I was not addressing you.
But your reply is to me 😕

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
27 Sep 17

But your reply is to me 😕
I saw your OP. I can respond to someone's input on this thread without engaging you on your OP. Get use to it.

If and when I think i want to talk about the OP with you, maybe I will.

A fun title

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
27 Sep 17

Are you accepting GoaD's claim that it is an "error" in the bible?
A copyist's mistake does not an error make. At least the translators had the integrity to not add or subtract from the manuscript.

Seriously, try and find a real error in the scriptures. Something important like in the area of doctrine. Like a major error that would cast real doubt on the veracity of the truth of God's Word.

Why do some people seem to wet themselves over such menial and trivial issues over a single word?

Go for something big like the doctrine of the resurrection of the dead. Find an error in the Bible that contradicts what the Bible teaches concerning the resurrection of Jesus Christ for example.

A fun title

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
27 Sep 17

Why do you always conflate the issue? Did I even mention Adam and Eve?

I'm asking you if you believe the trees of life and knowledge were literal trees; and if they were, then where are they now?

Please don't respond about dinosaurs or rainbows or amoebas or creation timelines or whatever else pops into your head.
What's the matter geester? Can't you believe what the Word of God say?

By the time you finish with this textural criticism they'll be nothing left for you to believe. Either it's all true or none of it is. I don't have time to sit around listening to you cherry pick the Bible to death.

A fun title

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
27 Sep 17

Originally posted by @fmf
Does your all-literal no-allegory perspective, make your version of the Christian god 'bigger' than divegeester's version, to your way of thinking?
2 Timothy 2:23
But foolish and unlearned questions avoid, knowing that they do gender strifes.

My God is an awesome God. He created all that exists in six literal days just as He said He did. That is the God of the Bible. For someone to say otherwise only diminishes God and exalts one's self above God. It is the root cause of man's separation from the life of God.

"Hath God said?" A foolish question.

F

Moves
27 Sep 17

My God is an awesome God. He created all that exists in six literal days just as He said He did. That is the God of the Bible. For someone to say otherwise only diminishes God and exalts one's self above God. It is the root cause of man's separation from the life of God.
How would the six days story being allegorical "diminish" your god figure?

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
27 Sep 17

I saw your OP. I can respond to someone's input on this thread without engaging you on your OP. Get use to it.

[b] If and when
I think i want to talk about the OP with you, maybe I will.[/b]
Your post which I responded to was a direct reply to my post in this thread; go back and check before getting angry.

A fun title

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
27 Sep 17

So what people does Luke 12:10 apply to?
To those that blaspheme the Holy Ghost. Just as it says.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
27 Sep 17
2 edits

A copyist's mistake does not an error make. At least the translators had the integrity to not add or subtract from the manuscript.

Seriously, try and find a real error in the scriptures. Something important like in the area of doctrine. Like a major error that would cast real doubt on the veracity of the truth of God's Word.

Why do some people seem t ...[text shortened]... that contradicts what the Bible teaches concerning the resurrection of Jesus Christ for example.
But I'm not looking for errors Joesphw. I'm just responding to sonship's evaisiveness.

All I'm interested in is people's opinions on what is literal and what isn't literal; you seem reluctant to be clear on this for some reason.,

A fun title

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
27 Sep 17

Why would you think I believed "God's grace" exists?
You've made it clear you don't, so why would I think you do?