Best evidence

Best evidence

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
14 Sep 09

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
another sabre tooth tiger dodger that has evolved the sense to read a persons motives, incredible! and you know how we feel about your profanities noobster old son ! We Christians like to conduct ourselves with at least a degree of dignity, and while it cannot be guaranteed by those who have not adopted the Christ as their model, we would appreciate ...[text shortened]... her than sprawled across cyber space like a pestilent bug that has been smeared on a windscreen!
Arse and dildo are profanities??!!!! Gimme strength you lilly-livered, soft-tart of a Jock. Sheesh.

Did i sum up your position though Robster?! I'll copy it again to spare you the trouble of looking for it.

God created the Earth a long time ago, and decided to put mankind place mankind on Earth 6,000yrs ago.

Evolution doesn't really exist, and all the countless scientists who have dedicated their lives to researching the evolutionary theory have somehow got it all wrong.

Any evidence here on Earth that suggests mankind has been around for longer than 6,000yrs, is either not really credible evidence at all, and evidence which is somehow credible cannot be dated accurately because all our dating techniques aren't reliable.

P

weedhopper

Moves
14 Sep 09

Originally posted by Proper Knob
If i could ask, do you believe mankind evolved along with the Earth? Or whether as some Christains believe God created us and put us on this Earth around 6,000yrs ago?
I believe we too evolved. I'm no anthropologist, bit I have to go with the fossil record, and I'm pretty sure that dates us back further than 6K years.

P

weedhopper

Moves
14 Sep 09

Originally posted by menace71
Well the issue is if you look at it objectively you have scientist saying the earth is 4.5 billion years old and scientist saying the universe is in the 10-20 billion. Christians who agree with this & some who say no the earth is a lot younger than this it poses a problem for the thinking mind at least.
How do you reconcile Science with what you believe th ...[text shortened]... id God create the stars first? These are all very valid questions not to be dismissed.

Manny
Perhaps you don't/can't dismiss these questions; I have no problem doing so.

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
14 Sep 09

Originally posted by PinkFloyd
I believe we too evolved. I'm no anthropologist, bit I have to go with the fossil record, and I'm pretty sure that dates us back further than 6K years.
Thanks for the reply.

I ask because i get the impression that for all the Christians who post on these forums, all would probably post a different answer to the same question.

What denomination are you?

rc

Moves
14 Sep 09

Arse and dildo are profanities??!!!! Gimme strength you lilly-livered, soft-tart of a Jock. Sheesh.

Did i sum up your position though Robster?! I'll copy it again to spare you the trouble of looking for it.

God created the Earth a long time ago, and decided to put mankind place mankind on Earth 6,000yrs ago.

Evolution doesn't really exist, and ...[text shortened]... omehow credible cannot be dated accurately because all our dating techniques aren't reliable.
you know my stance noobster old son, there is no need for repeating it again. and yes, in Scotland, arse and dildo are profanities!

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
14 Sep 09

you know my stance noobster old son, there is no need for repeating it again. and yes, in Scotland, arse and dildo are profanities!
William Wallace must be turning in his grave.

rc

Moves
14 Sep 09
1 edit

William Wallace must be turning in his grave.
i am supping on a rather large glass of single malt, Bunnahabhain 12 year old as we speak Noobster my friend, i honour the memory of Wallace, and to your health my Cornish friend! to the restoration of the King of Cornwall and the King of Scotland , Slainte mhath! (m and h are aspirated and sounds like slate vah - good health to you).

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
14 Sep 09

i am supping on a rather large glass of single malt, Bunnahabhain 12 year old as we speak Noobster my friend, i honour the memory of Wallace, and to your health my Cornish friend! to the restoration of the King of Cornwall and the King of Scotland , Slainte mhath! (m and h are aspirated and sounds like slate vah - good health to you).
Single malt eh? Sounds lovely.

I don't mind a wee dram myself every now and again.

Enjoy the rest of your evening.

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
14 Sep 09

[b]And the bottom line is why does it matter how old the universe and the earth are?

Because we as a race like to seek knowledge and understanding of the world and universe we live in. How do you think we are sitting here able to have this conversation?? The answer has nothing to do with religion.

Those who want to believe that some man made ...[text shortened]... ature, the so called laws you believe God set. Come on Steve, a little more intelligence please.
So where did the idea and the equipment come from to do carbon dating? Monkeys?

Can't win a game of

38N Lat X 121W Lon

Moves
15 Sep 09

Originally posted by galveston75
LOL 🙂

P

weedhopper

Moves
15 Sep 09

I'd say the idea came from the creator of all the natural and physical laws we see around us, and that would be God. God created the elements, including those that are radioactive. He created our brains, and did such an expert job that we were able to come up with things like half-lifes of elementary particles and such, and to then extrapolate this and get data on the age of certain pieces from antiquity with an amazing degree of accuracy.
I know--there are plenty of stories, anecdotal and verifiable, where some of the methods have been very wrong, either intentionally or purely due to inadequacy. But really, there IS good solid science behind it, with plenty of people who have no axe to grind in the theological vs. scientific debate--they just want to find answers.
And I think God wants us to do want that as well. Did Paul not praise the Bereans for doing research and studying before blindly believing him? They didn't take it on blind faith that Paul was a prophet, and he commended them for it. Since I believe Paul was a man of God (though perhaps not the most amiable guy to work with), I have to think God likes people who use their brains as well.

Can't win a game of

38N Lat X 121W Lon

Moves
15 Sep 09

I'd say the idea came from the creator of all the natural and physical laws we see around us, and that would be God. God created the elements, including those that are radioactive. He created our brains, and did such an expert job that we were able to come up with things like half-lifes of elementary particles and such, and to then extrapolate this and g ...[text shortened]... most amiable guy to work with), I have to think God likes people who use their brains as well.
I agree with this good post.

Manny

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
15 Sep 09

I'd say the idea came from the creator of all the natural and physical laws we see around us, and that would be God. God created the elements, including those that are radioactive. He created our brains, and did such an expert job that we were able to come up with things like half-lifes of elementary particles and such, and to then extrapolate this and g ...[text shortened]... most amiable guy to work with), I have to think God likes people who use their brains as well.
Well of course God wants us to use our brains and learn, explore and make or lifes better by science if we can. I'm all for that as most people would.
But when unproven science or should I say' theories' that are trying to take aways God amazing power of creation and the wisdom it takes that we could never understand more then what we could hold in our hand, yes that is not exceptable.
It's no different then if you designed, and built a house beyond any other house ever on this planet but ones that have no clue how incredible this house really is, to say well, this house just happened to some how build itself, by some accidentel mistake when a spark of lightning hit a puddle of scum or whatever and sometime in the next gazillion years then this house appeared.
Just doens't make sence and it would be very insulting to you....

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
15 Sep 09

Well of course God wants us to use our brains and learn, explore and make or lifes better by science if we can. I'm all for that as most people would.
But when unproven science or should I say' theories' that are trying to take aways God amazing power of creation and the wisdom it takes that we could never understand more then what we could hold in our ...[text shortened]... n this house appeared.
Just doens't make sence and it would be very insulting to you....

As the old saying goes 'you can't have your cake and eat it'!!! You and Robbie both have the same stance on this issue, which isn't really surprising since you are both JW's. Science is fine, if it enriches your life that's great, but any science which contradicts your Christian faith somehow it's all completely wrong.

You both also adopt the same 'lets-poke-fun-at-it' attitude when confronted by the contradictory science. It seems like a self-defence mechanism and i find a big conincidence that both of you are of the same denomination. Maybe it's just me.

Out of curioisty are thre any other branches of science you think are all wrong?

rc

Moves
15 Sep 09

[b]Well of course God wants us to use our brains and learn, explore and make or lifes better by science if we can. I'm all for that as most people would.

As the old saying goes 'you can't have your cake and eat it'!!! You and Robbie both have the same stance on this issue, which isn't really surprising since you are both JW's. Science is fi ...[text shortened]... .

Out of curioisty are thre any other branches of science you think are all wrong?[/b]
we do not hold that science is the problem noobster, only that evolution is unscientific. please note we are not the only ones, irreducible complexity is a barrier, regardless of what has been portrayed in the media and in court cases like the Dover trial, that is not easily refuted. for even if the components existed, as in the case of the flagellum with its sophisticated outboard motor, the agents needed to assemble them must also somehow have been in place, making even the assembly process irreducibly complex.