Believers, Non-Believers & Morality

Believers, Non-Believers & Morality

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
17 Apr 18

Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
Yes, you're right.

Explain to Romans how we were both using a word in the context of the thread. He might listen to you. I think he struggles with 'hence my use of the word.'
Why then did you say I introduced the word?

F

Moves
17 Apr 18
1 edit

Originally posted by @dj2becker
Theology is the study of the nature of a divine being or beings and the religious beliefs and doctrines attendant thereto.

Religious belief concerns the worship of this divine authority and the kinds of religious observance that involve obedience to its supposedly divine laws.

Romans1009 would have the forum believe that he genuinely thought Ghost of a Duke - who is an atheist and who therefore has "no notion of divine law" - did not know all this despite studying theology at university.

As Ghost of a Duke pointed out, Romans1009 was obviously being disingenuous.

Moves
17 Apr 18

Originally posted by @fmf
Theology is the study of the nature of a divine being or beings and the religious beliefs and doctrines attendant thereto.

Religious belief concerns the worship of this divine authority and the kinds of religious observance that involve obedience to its supposedly divine laws.

Romans1009 would have the forum believe that he genuinely thought Ghost of a ...[text shortened]... at university.

As Ghost of a Duke pointed out, Romans1009 was obviously being disingenuous.
I'm simply pointing out that Ghost said I introduced the word whereas you in fact did so it was a lie.

F

Moves
17 Apr 18
1 edit

I'm simply pointing out that Ghost said I introduced the word whereas you in fact did so it was a lie.
If his error was, in fact, a "lie", as you claim, then it took him only a few minutes to set the record straight and, I suppose ~ to your way of thinking ~ to make an honest man of himself. He used the word in response to you using it.

Moves
17 Apr 18

If his error was, in fact, a "lie", as you claim, then it took him only a few minutes to set the record straight and, I suppose ~ to your way of thinking ~ to make an honest man of himself. He used the word in response to you using it.
You introduced the word, not me so it is inaccurate for him to say I did regardless of how you spin it.

F

Moves
17 Apr 18

You introduced the word, not me so it is inaccurate for him to say I did regardless of how you spin it.
I haven't 'spun' anything. Your use the word "lie" is inaccurate.

Moves
17 Apr 18

Because when I said that I hadn't spotted FMF had used it also in his OP. (Obviously).

"Yes, you're right,' indicated this.

Moves
17 Apr 18

I haven't 'spun' anything. Your use the word "lie" is inaccurate.
So you believe it was in fact me that introduced the word and not you? 🙄 If not how is uttering an untruth not a lie?

Moves
17 Apr 18

Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
Because when I said that I hadn't spotted FMF had used it also in his OP. (Obviously).

"Yes, you're right,' indicated this.
So you agree it was a lie? 😉

F

Moves
17 Apr 18

So you believe it was in fact me that introduced the word and not you? 🙄 If not how is uttering an untruth not a lie?
A lie an intentionally false statement for the purpose of deception.

Moves
17 Apr 18

So you agree it was a lie? 😉
With your use of an emoticon, I'm assuming that's a joke, but even so, I don't know why you are making an issue out of this.

I responded to your post that used the word 'notion' and wrongly said to Roman's that you had introduced the word. When it was pointed out that FMF had used it first in his OP I confirmed this for myself and responded, 'yes you're right.'

Nobody lied.

S. Korea

Moves
17 Apr 18

What can non-believers ~ and contemporary secular society more broadly ~ learn about morality from religious people and religious institutions once the notions of everlasting life, divine law and "sin" are taken out of the equation?
This is potentially a trick question.

You can always answer "Ah ha! But we already know that. Because, muh rationalisms."

Perhaps that has even been what the other 85 replies have been about.

Moves
17 Apr 18

A lie an intentionally false statement for the purpose of deception.
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/lying

lying: 'marked by or containing untrue statements'

F

Moves
17 Apr 18

Originally posted by @philokalia
This is potentially a trick question.
It's not intended as such.

F

Moves
17 Apr 18

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/lying

lying: 'marked by or containing untrue statements'
A "lie" - the word you have used inaccurately - according to the same https://www.merriam-webster.com website you referred to - is "an assertion of something known or believed by the speaker or writer to be untrue with intent to deceive".