Being rational ..... and forgiveness

Being rational ..... and forgiveness

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
19 Feb 07

Is the act of forgiveness a rational or (?) logical act from the perspective of your own convictions, religious or secular ? Can you give an explanation or reasons for your stance ?

j

CA, USA

Moves
19 Feb 07

Originally posted by ivanhoe
Is the act of forgiveness a rational or (?) logical act from the perspective of your own convictions, religious or secular ? Can you give an explanation or reasons for your stance ?
If rational means .. makes sense to me, then yes, from my experence forgiveness makes perfect sense.

My reason being that holding onto bitter, resentful hatred only eats one up from the inside.

Have your say and let it go.

s

Moves
19 Feb 07

Originally posted by jammer
If rational means .. makes sense to me, then yes, from my experence forgiveness makes perfect sense.

My reason being that holding onto bitter, resentful hatred only eats one up from the inside.

Have your say and let it go.
Now, that is pure wisdom, right there. Have a rec. 🙂

S

Moves
19 Feb 07

I'd say it's probably contextually relative.

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
19 Feb 07

Originally posted by Starrman
I'd say it's probably contextually relative.
... and what does this mean ?

S

Moves
19 Feb 07

... and what does this mean ?
It means that sometimes I will be logical and forgiving, sometimes logical and not forgiving, sometimes illogical and forgiving, sometimes illogical and not forgiving. It depends on the context of the situation.

Outkast

With White Women

Moves
20 Feb 07

It goes against reason and logic for me personally. I tend to hang on to anger and resentments, however, recently I tried to forgive someone whom I was really really mad at. As it turned out, we get along fine now. For me, forgiveness is mostly an effort that requires discipline and patience.

Immigration Central

tinyurl.com/muzppr8z

Moves
20 Feb 07

Yes. The iterated prisoner's dilemma shows why:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prisoner's_dilemma#The_iterated_prisoner.27s_dilemma

L

Moves
20 Feb 07

I don't really understand the question. Are you asking if there are reasons to promote acts of forgiveness (whether the reasons be agent-neutral or agent-relative)?

l

London

Moves
20 Feb 07

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
Yes. The iterated prisoner's dilemma shows why:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prisoner's_dilemma#The_iterated_prisoner.27s_dilemma
Do you believe that the IPD correctly captures the essence of most (all?) life situations calling for forgiveness?

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
20 Feb 07

Originally posted by LemonJello
I don't really understand the question. Are you asking if there are reasons to promote acts of forgiveness (whether the reasons be agent-neutral or agent-relative)?
Let's shake hands ! I don't understand your question either.

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
20 Feb 07

Originally posted by Starrman
It means that sometimes I will be logical and forgiving, sometimes logical and not forgiving, sometimes illogical and forgiving, sometimes illogical and not forgiving. It depends on the context of the situation.
Can you give an example of all four situations you describe ? ... and do you think that in this context being "RATIONAL" and being "LOGICAL" has exactly the same meaning ?

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
20 Feb 07
1 edit

Originally posted by kirksey957
It goes against reason and logic for me personally. I tend to hang on to anger and resentments, however, recently I tried to forgive someone whom I was really really mad at. As it turned out, we get along fine now. For me, forgiveness is mostly an effort that requires discipline and patience.
Kirk: "It goes against reason and logic for me personally"

Does foregiving go against rationality stating that it goes against reason and logic ? In other words: Is forgiving "irrational" ?

I

Moves
20 Feb 07

I think this is difficult to answer as a general question. Are you talking about forgiving a friend or some stranger who has done something to you? Are you talking about a minor disagreement or some unpleasant act?

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
20 Feb 07

Originally posted by Ian68
I think this is difficult to answer as a general question. Are you talking about forgiving a friend or some stranger who has done something to you? Are you talking about a minor disagreement or some unpleasant act?
All of those. Why do you want to make these distinctions ? It is easier to forgive someone you love then someone you dislike. Is that the heart of your question ?