1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    04 Dec '15 14:24
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    I define my own morality and every other sane person does too. (Some
    may wish to find a particular flavour of religion which aligns with their morality)

Getting your morality from an outside agency (which presumably you don't
    agree with else it would be your morality) is surely a cause for concern.
    We tend to adopt the morality of those we perceive are in authority over us.

Example: Before slavery illegal it was deemed OK by the majority of population
    After slavery made illegal for over a century slavery deemed immoral.

Same can be said for abortion. Moral codes change depending on the direction of the statist wind.

We are truly sheep.
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    04 Dec '15 14:42
    Originally posted by whodey
    Ok, what is God's will?
    It is what theists like you perceive to be the demands or instructions of their God figure. This perception (or religious narrative) shapes what values such theists have. Therefore, if they fall short of these values (transgress) then they perceive themselves to be "sinning". Perhaps you should explain how your concept of "sin" is different from Obama's. He seems to be rooting his in the notion that it's about a personal failure to live up to a required or desired standard. Do you not frame your own "sin" in terms of your own personal responsibility to adhere to standards and values?
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    04 Dec '15 14:45
    According to the mythology you subscribe to, your God figure deemed it to be OK for thousands of years. Do you think slavery is "immoral" now? If so, why?
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    04 Dec '15 14:47
    Same can be said for abortion. Moral codes change depending on the direction of the statist wind.
    How is your own moral code regarding abortion affected by "the direction of the statist wind"?
  5. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    04 Dec '15 17:33
    Originally posted by FMF
    According to the mythology you subscribe to, your God figure deemed it to be OK for thousands of years. Do you think slavery is "immoral" now? If so, why?
    "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you" was spoken by Jesus and is considered the golden rule. Based on this statement, it is up to each of us to determine if slavery was ever moral. I'll let you consider your own heart to answer your own questions on this subject. 😏
  6. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    04 Dec '15 17:40
    We tend to adopt the morality of those we perceive are in authority over us.

We are truly sheep.
    Making slavery illegal has not stopped the practice, because all men's hearts have not been softened. The same is true for abortion and other immoral practices.
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    04 Dec '15 19:47
    Originally posted by FMF
    Clearly, your 'given' is incorrect.
  8. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    04 Dec '15 19:58
    Originally posted by FMF
    It is what theists like you perceive to be the demands or instructions of their God figure. This perception (or religious narrative) shapes what values such theists have. Therefore, if they fall short of these values (transgress) then they perceive themselves to be "sinning". Perhaps you should explain how your concept of "sin" is different from Obama's. He seem ...[text shortened]... e your own "sin" in terms of your own personal responsibility to adhere to standards and values?
    Mark Twain once said something to the effect, "I'm not troubled by what I don't understand when reading the Bible, rather, I'm troubled by what I do understand."

That pretty much sums up the matter. Righteousness should not be based upon what we think is right, because deep down, we know that we are all full of poo.
  9. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    04 Dec '15 20:03
    Originally posted by FMF
    Even though slavery was allowed in certain circumstances, the Bible shows us that God took a stand against the concept by sending Moses to free the Hebrew slaves.

In addition, God made sure that slaves had a day of rest, and he made sure that they would be set free after so many years of service.

For me, this speaks volumes. It was the first stand against slavery in recorded history, albeit not stamped out entirely. From my vantage point, slavery was a way to survive when you did not have a tribe to help you survive. It is a far cry from rich plantation owners going to a foriegn land and kidnapping people so they could live high on the hog and justify it by suggesting that they are genetically inferior.

Slavery in the Bible should be seen as divorce. Jesus once commented that God never planned for people to get divorced, much like he never planned on them being slaves. However, divorce was allowed due to the sinful nature of the people. It was a means of helping them refrain from far worse things happening.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    05 Dec '15 00:20
    That pretty much sums up the matter. Righteousness should not be based upon what we think is right, because deep down, we know that we are all full of poo.
    So you disagree with what Obama said about "sin"?

You don't feel you have to live your life according to standards and values ~ i.e. what is right?
  11. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    05 Dec '15 04:081 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    So you disagree with what Obama said about "sin"?

You don't feel you have to live your life according to standards and values ~ i.e. what is right?
    Not Obama's Muslim standards and values. What is right is another thing, 😏
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    05 Dec '15 05:08
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Not Obama's Muslim standards and values. What is right is another thing, 😏
    Do you feel you have to live your life according to the standards and values that your religious beliefs give you, and that failing to do so is "sin"? Yes, presumably.
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    05 Dec '15 08:19
    Originally posted by FMF
    Do you feel you have to live your life according to the standards and values that your religious beliefs give you, and that failing to do so is "sin"? Yes, presumably.
    My guess is that it is more "do as I say, not as I do", like some others here.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    05 Dec '15 08:25
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    My guess is that it is more "do as I say, not as I do", like some others here.
    Are you referring to RJHinds' comment?
  15. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    05 Dec '15 11:36
    Obama’s response when asked what his definition of sin is: “Being out of alignment with my values.”
    That's a pretty good definition of sin for anyone with a decent moral compass.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree