Baptism

Baptism

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

C
Cowboy From Hell

American West

Moves
13 Jan 11

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
Well how convenient for Christians, dont you think!

(Romans 10:14-15) However, how will they call on him in whom they have not put faith? How, in turn, will they put faith in him of whom they have not heard? How, in turn, will they hear without someone to preach? How, in turn, will they preach unless they have been sent forth? Just as it is writ ...[text shortened]... e feet of those who declare good news of good things!” - not so convenient for them, apparently
If we missed you earlier, I am sorry, it is just hard to imagine anyone in the modern world who hasn't heard the Gospels before.
Better late than never, you're alive now, Jesus is here now, now's the time.
๐Ÿ˜€

D

St. Peter's

Moves
13 Jan 11

Well, its rather interesting, the only persons i can remember were, Mormon missionaries (who were speaking about something other than the good news of Gods Kingdom) and this dude who was a wee bit crazy who used to live near me who got fired from his secular work for preaching about the Lord, and that was it.
so the wee bit crazy guy was preaching and you wern't listening? Adding insult to injury this poor fellow was persecuted for his beliefs....he must have been doing the Lords work for sure.

D

St. Peter's

Moves
13 Jan 11

Actually the term Jehovahs Witnesses come from the book of Isaiah, for we hold that everyone that bears witness about God, is a witness, therefore all the Biblical characters from Abel through to the Apostles are, by definition, considered Witnesses.

My point still remains unanswered, if Christ was being preached everywhere as you say, why was h ...[text shortened]... the things that were profitable nor from teaching you publicly and from house to house.

???
Please understand Robbie, i am not calling you a liar, but it seems highly unlikely that no one told you the Good News. I am a Christian and somebody tries to share the good news with me at least 2 or 3 times a month, and I live in a very non-religous area (very very non-religous). the truth is you were not ready

rc

Moves
13 Jan 11

Originally posted by ChessPraxis
If we missed you earlier, I am sorry, it is just hard to imagine anyone in the modern world who hasn't heard the Gospels before.
Better late than never, you're alive now, Jesus is here now, now's the time.
๐Ÿ˜€
There is a difference about hearing the gospel and being taught! Of course one recites the Lords prayer during assemblies at school, learns stories about David and Goliath at Sunday school, but its not being taught, there is never any meaning put into it, its aloof, impractical and has no relevance! Teaching takes effort and time!

rc

Moves
13 Jan 11
1 edit

Originally posted by Doward
so the wee bit crazy guy was preaching and you wern't listening? Adding insult to injury this poor fellow was persecuted for his beliefs....he must have been doing the Lords work for sure.
Yes i was listening, in fact i lent him a book that he wanted from my library, Alexander Hyslops, the Two Babylon's, which he returned after a time. I listened to him at great length, but he was not teaching, he was merely preaching, dumping lots of information on me at great length, giving me Genesis to Revelation and then back again, with no meaning, no practical application. The usual trite admonitions, 'take him into your heart and you'll be saved', etc

rc

Moves
13 Jan 11

Please understand Robbie, i am not calling you a liar, but it seems highly unlikely that no one told you the Good News. I am a Christian and somebody tries to share the good news with me at least 2 or 3 times a month, and I live in a very non-religous area (very very non-religous). the truth is you were not ready
sooo many Christians and not one to teach me, shame on you!

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
13 Jan 11

Actually the term Jehovahs Witnesses come from the book of Isaiah, for we hold that everyone that bears witness about God, is a witness, therefore all the Biblical characters from Abel through to the Apostles are, by definition, considered Witnesses.

My point still remains unanswered, if Christ was being preached everywhere as you say, why was h ...[text shortened]... the things that were profitable nor from teaching you publicly and from house to house.

???
Exactly. I'm 54 and I've never had any Christian come to my door and say" Hey I'm here to teach you the Bible and the Good News that Jesus taught and told us to teach. So here I am."
My Mom and Dad are in the late 70's and the only one to ever, ever knock on there door was a Witness.
So where are they? Where are these Christains at? They must be tricked by their churches that it's not important to do what Jesus said.
But the Witnesses spend over a billion hours a year doing this trying to find ones that are looking for truths and wanting to know where we are at in this sysytem and wanting to have a relationship with God.
So yes there is some token teaching and preaching..mostly just preaching..that is done on the boob tube but that's not teaching anything to anyone.
If the TV worked so good why does anyone attend schools and colleges? Just put it on TV and we can all become doctors.

Check it out. Were very serious..........

http://www.watchtower.org/languages.htm

D

St. Peter's

Moves
13 Jan 11

Yes i was listening, in fact i lent him a book that he wanted from my library, Alexander Hyslops, the Two Babylon's, which he returned after a time. I listened to him at great length, but he was not teaching, he was merely preaching, dumping lots of information on me at great length, giving me Genesis to Revelation and then back again, with no meani ...[text shortened]... plication. The usual trite admonitions, 'take him into your heart and you'll be saved', etc
sounds to me like he was teaching...and you wern't ready to truly listen.

This is why most Christians find the JW false doctrine that they are the only ones truly teaching to be so completely deluded and rediculous.

m
Ajarn

Wat?

Moves
13 Jan 11

To get back to the original topic, baptism; what happens to the man/woman who is baptised as a baby, unknowingly, who happens to choose a different religion in life, at a later age. Is he/she still accepted by the Catholic God, when the time arises, in order to enter so called heaven and eternity?

Specifically myself, who was baptised as a baby as a Catholic but later, after learning about philosophy and making my own choices, chose to reject Catholicism for what it isn't to me, and to study Buddhism and exist without a God. Am I condemned, in the eyes of bespoken Lord? Is Peter going to tell me to go do one?

๐Ÿ˜‰

rc

Moves
13 Jan 11
3 edits

sounds to me like he was teaching...and you wern't ready to truly listen.

This is why most Christians find the JW false doctrine that they are the only ones truly teaching to be so completely deluded and rediculous.
and you were there and heard everything and are able to make an sound assessment?

(Proverbs 18:13) . . .When anyone is replying to a matter before he hears [it], that is foolishness on his part and a humiliation.

telling is not teaching, preaching is not teaching, no wonder you people become emotional for your faith is emotionally based, look at the statement, 'take him into your heart and you will be saved', it tells you nothing! The real admonition of a teacher is,

(John 17:3) . . .This means everlasting life, their taking in knowledge of you, the only true God, and of the one whom you sent forth, Jesus Christ. (please note the two separate entities)

not some trite and hackneyed emotionally based assertion. In order for a person to take in knowledge you need to be taught, not one so called Christian in my entire years on this planet took the time to teach me, shame on you!

D

St. Peter's

Moves
13 Jan 11

and you were there and heard everything and are able to make an sound assessment?

(Proverbs 18:13) . . .When anyone is replying to a matter before he hears [it], that is foolishness on his part and a humiliation.

telling is not teaching, preaching is not teaching, no wonder you people become emotional for your faith is emotionally based, look a ...[text shortened]... so called Christian in my entire years on this planet took the time to teach me, shame on you!
whatever๐Ÿ™„

rc

Moves
13 Jan 11

whatever๐Ÿ™„
Yes, that seems to be the attitude of almost all Christians that have never visited my home, who have never shared even one iota of a verse from the Bible with me and who haven't taught me anything about the Good News of Gods Kingdom, whatever!

D

St. Peter's

Moves
13 Jan 11

Yes, that seems to be the attitude of almost all Christians that have never visited my home, who have never shared even one iota of a verse from the Bible with me and who haven't taught me anything about the Good News of Gods Kingdom, whatever!
because they like me get frustrated with your insistance to an absurdity.

rc

Moves
13 Jan 11
1 edit

because they like me get frustrated with your insistance
I see, you have no real evidence why its simply a perfunctory faith, based on nothing but unfounded emotionalism and cannot therefore answer a simple question without recourse to nothingness, that is, why you have abandoned the Christian ministry as directed by the son of God , Jesus Christ, and as exemplified in the life of the early Apostles. Squillions of Christians and not one, no, not a single one, willing to help a poor sinner understand the good news of the Kingdom of God by taking the time to teach them! Its no wonder God has abandoned your churches! for they have

(Revelation 18:2) . . .become a dwelling place of demons and a lurking place of every unclean exhalation . . .

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
14 Jan 11

Originally posted by mikelom
To get back to the original topic, baptism; what happens to the man/woman who is baptised as a baby, unknowingly, who happens to choose a different religion in life, at a later age. Is he/she still accepted by the Catholic God, when the time arises, in order to enter so called heaven and eternity?

Specifically myself, who was baptised as a baby as a Cath ...[text shortened]... od. Am I condemned, in the eyes of bespoken Lord? Is Peter going to tell me to go do one?

๐Ÿ˜‰

The mark of baptism (i.e. remission of original sin) is indelible and so the Catholic Church teaches that there is only one baptism. Now should the child eventually convert to Buddhism, the baptism still remains valid. They are not suddenly plunged back into original sin. Of course, this does not mean that the child is saved. Baptism is necessary but not sufficient. As an adult, this person's salvation rests in their commitment to lead a morally good life. That is what the Catholic Church teaches.

Specifically myself, who was baptised as a baby as a Catholic but later, after learning about philosophy and making my own choices, chose to reject Catholicism for what it isn't to me, and to study Buddhism and exist without a God. Am I condemned, in the eyes of bespoken Lord? Is Peter going to tell me to go do one?

That is a difficult question. Your conversion to Buddhism was technically an act of apostasy, which the Catholic Church teaches is gravely sinful. However, if you made this decision in good faith believing Buddhism more plausible and Catholicism untenable, I think a good pastor would judge that you were not morally culpable for this act of apostasy. Whether you were condemned to hell, then, would be subjective, depending on your motivations to convert -- and obviously too whether you deliberately commit other mortal sins would matter. The Catholic Church after all has never taught that any single person is definitely in hell.