Back to Spirituality

Back to Spirituality

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
11 Oct 20

@divegeester said
The book of proverbs is philosophy. Spirituality is, as the word indicates, appertaining to the spirt which is a supernatural entity.
SPIRIT
1. the nonphysical part of a person which is the seat of emotions and character; the soul.
"we seek a harmony between body and spirit"

2. those qualities regarded as forming the definitive or typical elements in the character of a person, nation, or group or in the thought and attitudes of a particular period.
"the university is a symbol of the nation's egalitarian spirit"

Definition #2 works for me.

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
11 Oct 20

@bigdoggproblem said
SPIRIT
1. the nonphysical part of a person which is the seat of emotions and character; the soul.

2. those qualities regarded as forming the definitive or typical elements in the character of a person, nation, or group or in the thought and attitudes of a particular period.

I think we all recognise somebody who has spirit, and it indeed has nothing to do with the supernatural.

F

Moves
11 Oct 20

@divegeester said
I find it interesting that some atheists are possessive over the term “spiritual” when they don’t believe in the supernatural, ie. they don’t accept that humans have a spirit.
I don't think I am being "possessive". I am just trying to get to the heart of what is going on when people talk about "spirituality". I think the word you need to describe what you are talking about is basically "theism". I think you and I do not have "theism" in common; however, I think you and I - and everyone else here - DO have the component parts of "spirituality" in common. You say atheists "don’t accept that humans have a spirit". Well, I think they do, and I have defined it.

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
11 Oct 20

@divegeester said
Spirituality appertains to matters of the spirit. In order to have “a spirituality” one must accept that there is a “spirit”.

I find it interesting that some atheists are possessive over the term “spiritual” when they don’t believe in the supernatural, ie. they don’t accept that humans have a spirit.
The spirit sits outside of religion. Indeed, religion itself wouldn't exist without human spirit.

You do have ownership of such things as 'sin,' but not spirit.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
11 Oct 20

@bigdoggproblem said
SPIRIT

If choosing that definition helps to confirm your own bias and help you overcome the comfortably soothing irrationality of using the phrase “spirituality” when you are referring to a state of mindfulness, an attitude of egalitarianism and maintaining psychological well being, then good for you.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
11 Oct 20

@ghost-of-a-duke said
I think we all recognise somebody who has spirit, and it indeed has nothing to do with the supernatural.
Having “spirit” is not spirituality.

But I can see how, especially within the dynamics of this particular forum exchange, that you would choose to attach yourself to that conflation.

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
11 Oct 20

@divegeester said
If choosing that definition helps to confirm your own bias and help you overcome the comfortably soothing irrationality of using the phrase “spirituality” when you are referring to a state of mindfulness, an attitude of egalitarianism and maintaining psychological well being, then good for you.
I guess we atheists should all just leave this forum, since we don't believe the subject matter even exists, eh?

Where have I heard that tired argument before?

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
11 Oct 20
2 edits

@fmf said
I am just trying to get to the heart of what is going on when people talk about "spirituality".
For me spirituality refers to the attitudes and particularly the beliefs associated with the aspect of the spirit. A spirit is a ghostly supernatural element of the human condition.

When I say that some atheists are possessive over the term I and referring to the desire to hang on to the emotive interpretations of the word, rather than to the rational and scientific descriptions of the same behaviours, thoughts and attitudes, as I described in my post to bigdoggproblem above.

It is entirely possible to hold to the same values, morals, attitudes, thoughts, beliefs, behaviours and practices without being “spiritual”. When one doesn’t believe in the supernatural.

I acknowledge that you believe that a person has a “spirit” but I contend that this “spirit” is supernatural, it is ghostly, it is of a non rational constituency, as described in most dictionaries.

I’m talking about definitions not at all about one person who is not supernatural in their mindset, is capable of in comparison to another who is.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
11 Oct 20

@bigdoggproblem said
I guess we atheists should all just leave this forum, since we don't believe the subject matter even exists, eh?

Where have I heard that tired argument before?
Of you could just flounce off to your bedroom.

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
11 Oct 20

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
11 Oct 20

@divegeester said
For me spirituality refers to the attitudes and particularly the beliefs associated with the aspect of the spirit. A spirit is a ghostly supernatural element of the human condition.

When I say that some atheists are possessive over the term I and referring to the desire to hang on to the emotive interpretations of the word, rather than to the rational and scientific d ...[text shortened]... one person who is not supernatural in their mindset, is capable of in comparison to another who is.
It is theists like yourself who attach emotion to the term and are reluctant to let people use it who aren't carrying a tambourine.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
11 Oct 20

@ghost-of-a-duke said
It is theists like yourself who attach emotion to the term and are reluctant to let people use it who aren't carrying a tambourine.
No not theists “like me” at all.

I have no emotional attachment to the word, I simply enjoy contesting with you right on hard atheists who seem to want to indulge in the spiritual [sic] while denying the irrationality of your position which is to remain rooted in science and rational thinking.

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
11 Oct 20

@divegeester said
No not theists “like me” at all.

I have no emotional attachment to the word, I simply enjoy contesting with you right on hard atheists who seem to want to indulge in the spiritual [sic] while denying the irrationality of your position which is to remain rooted in science and rational thinking.
You think it is irrational to hold a position rooted in science and rational thinking?!

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
11 Oct 20

@ghost-of-a-duke said
You think it is irrational to hold a position rooted in science and rational thinking?!
That is not what I meant and you know it.

But let’s descend into your usual pedantry when you’re trying to slowly back-pedal...

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
11 Oct 20

@divegeester said
That is not what I meant and you know it.

But let’s descend into your usual pedantry when you’re trying to slowly back-pedal...
Accusing others of pedantry is as laughable as you accusing people of hypocrisy.

Donut.