Athlete criticized because of his faith...

Athlete criticized because of his faith...

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
07 Dec 11

Originally posted by Ullr
As an NFL fan I listen to a lot of talk radio, watch espn, watch games every weekend including Broncos games, and so on. I'm not seeing the hate. What I see is a lot of criticism being directed at Tebow not because he is a outspoken Christian but because he is a very unorthodox style Quarterback for the NFL. Many have predicted that he would not succeed in t ...[text shortened]... to portray themselves as victims? Is this just part of the psychology of being a Christian?
"Mostly other Christians" hehehe. That makes me wonder what you call
a Christian.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
07 Dec 11

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
Well said. My response was simply one of curiosity as to whether the media had now become emboldened

to the extent described. Maybe the media was just mucking around for something sensational, maybe not.
Some may not want him to do well for other reasons, like he's from the
wrong school or something. The Jesus thing just adds fuel to the fire.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
07 Dec 11

Originally posted by FreakyKBH
Well, you asked...

It is my opinion that there exists a general consensus among people of all stripes--- and especially those who have been exposed to immoderate vagaries of human existence--- a certain level of contempt toward expressions of extreme. Being essentially centrist in nature, we tend to revile those who purposely move themselves to ...[text shortened]... ablished and know that repeated 'sharing' doesn't always serve the purposes intended.
Yes, people tend to like people that are like themselves or like they wish they
were.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
07 Dec 11

Originally posted by galveston75
I like Tebow and the Broncos. I know he's excited and no doubt thankful for the succes he and the Broncos are having.

But my two issues are this:

Jesus himself gave us the model prayer to show us the things we should pray for.

This is at Matt 6: 9-13,

9 “YOU must pray, then, this way:
“‘Our Father in the heavens, let your name be sanctifi ...[text shortened]... but the second part shows us all how are personal prayers should be and that is in private.
Nobody said that God cares who wins a game. The OP has nothing to do
with that. Why don't you JWs get your head out?

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
07 Dec 11

But when it's not true then its either that or paranoia. I asked ChessPraxis to show me evidence of HATRED towards Tebow by another player and he posts an article about Jake Plummer's comments where he says for example:

“I don’t hate him because of that, I just would rather not have to hear that every single time he takes a good snap or makes a good handoff ...[text shortened]... 't expressing hatred and he's not even an opposing player at any rate.
Where is your poof that it is not true? If you could produce it. Maybe that
would shut people up.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
07 Dec 11

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
dude are you having a bad hair day? that was pretty bang out of order, Ullr only asked
for evidence.
But where is Ullr's evidence to the contrary?

rc

Moves
07 Dec 11

Originally posted by RJHinds
But where is Ullr's evidence to the contrary?
what are you slavering about now? goodness sake old man, for your sixty seven
years on the planet you sure talk some nonsense and not even deliberately at that, Ullr
was asking for confirmation of hatred, that is all, he did not need a lecture on how he
was stabbing the Christ with a sword again, all he wanted was some evidence, he
doesn't have to produce anything to the contrary.

C
Cowboy From Hell

American West

Moves
07 Dec 11

dude are you having a bad hair day? that was pretty bang out of order, Ullr only asked
for evidence.
No Rob, I'm fine, I just don't cotton to trolls insinuating I'm web tough. He used SINGULAR words in his question to me at first, then he changed it.
It is not my fault he is too thick to see the question has been answered. You may blame that on God or inferior genetics.

25% is pathetic too BTW maybe more chess less trolling.

rc

Moves
07 Dec 11

Originally posted by ChessPraxis
No Rob, I'm fine, I just don't cotton to trolls insinuating I'm web tough. He used SINGULAR words in his question to me at first, then he changed it.
It is not my fault he is too thick to see the question has been answered. You may blame that on God or inferior genetics.

dude Ullr is as far removed from an internet troll as one can imagine, seriously, its just
misunderstanding, thats all, thats all these things ever are.

Moves
07 Dec 11

[b]Athlete criticized because of his faith...

NFL Analysts: Tim Tebow Hated Because of His Faith
By Paul Wilson | October 21, 2011 | 08:13

"Outspoken Christian athlete Tim Tebow, now the starting quarterback for the Denver Broncos, has been widely criticized by many in the media. NFL analysts are starting to admit that criticism, in large par ...[text shortened]...
Your impressions, opinions, insights?

gb[/b]
Do you think he'd still be doing this if the NFL allowed it? Do they allow it? Would you find it objectionable?

Just curious.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/12/05/john-16-33-tim-tebows-eye_n_381435.html

Moves
07 Dec 11

[b]Athlete criticized because of his faith...

NFL Analysts: Tim Tebow Hated Because of His Faith
By Paul Wilson | October 21, 2011 | 08:13

"Outspoken Christian athlete Tim Tebow, now the starting quarterback for the Denver Broncos, has been widely criticized by many in the media. NFL analysts are starting to admit that criticism, in large par ...[text shortened]...
Your impressions, opinions, insights?

gb[/b]
Here;s another interesting factoid:

http://chalkboard.blogs.gainesville.com/2011/04/campus-statue-of-tim-tebow-includes-bible-verse/

The only thing is, it's not a very good likeness.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
07 Dec 11

Sounds like this athlete is one of those annoying God Squad types that can't say anything without bringing his religion into it. I've met the type.

Moves
07 Dec 11

dude Ullr is as far removed from an internet troll as one can imagine, seriously, its just
misunderstanding, thats all, thats all these things ever are.
Thanks Robbie.

I'll own my own garbage too. In my original reply I asked these following questions.

"Why do Christians so often have to portray themselves as victims? Is this just part of the psychology of being a Christian?"

In hindsight I admit that was probably out of order and a bit offensive. So I apologize for it.

Moves
07 Dec 11

Originally posted by ChessPraxis

"He used SINGULAR words in his question to me at first, then he changed it.
It is not my fault he is too thick to see the question has been answered."

What did I change exactly? Go back and read my question to you again. You said:

"The local news stations and papers have had much negative press coming from his opponents regarding his faith."

I then asked in reply:

"What opponent of the Broncos made a negative comment about Tebow's faith and what did they say exactly? "

In reply you give me Jake Plummer. He's not an opponent of the Broncos. He's a retired ex-Bronco player in the media and what he had to say was pretty benign. Maybe you and I are just using the word opponent differently? I consider an opponent of the Broncos to be someone that is an active player in the NFL that plays against the Broncos. Is that not what you meant by opponent?

Oh and I'm still waiting for an explanation as to how my original post as a "sticking the sword into the body of Christ". I think your explanation of that would be interesting.

rc

Moves
08 Dec 11

Thanks Robbie.

I'll own my own garbage too. In my original reply I asked these following questions.

"Why do Christians so often have to portray themselves as victims? Is this just part of the psychology of being a Christian?"

In hindsight I admit that was probably out of order and a bit offensive. So I apologize for it.
man thats nuthin, feel easy!