Atheists do better at IQ tests

Atheists do better at IQ tests

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
24 May 18

'Religious people are less intelligent on average than atheists because faith is an instinct and clever people are better at rising above their instincts, researchers have claimed.

The theory — called the 'Intelligence-Mismatch Association Model' — was proposed by a pair of authors who set out to explain why numerous studies over past decades have found religious people to have lower average intelligence than people who do not believe in a god.

According to the 2013 review, the more intelligent a child is, even during early years, the more likely it is to turn away from religion. In old age, above-average-intelligence people are less likely to believe in a god.'

“If religion is an evolved domain then it is an instinct, and intelligence — in rationally solving problems — can be understood as involving overcoming instinct and being intellectually curious and thus open to non-instinctive possibilities,” explained Mr Dutton.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/atheists-more-intelligent-than-religious-people-faith-instinct-cleverness-a7742766.html

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
24 May 18
1 edit

Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
'Religious people are less intelligent on average than atheists because faith is an instinct and clever people are better at rising above their instincts, researchers have claimed.

The theory — called the 'Intelligence-Mismatch Association Model' — was proposed by a pair of authors who set out to explain why numerous studies over past decades ha ...[text shortened]... /science/atheists-more-intelligent-than-religious-people-faith-instinct-cleverness-a7742766.html
No surprise there. Smart people keep away from the church. Good people live good lives and understand that the church is no authority. There is god in every man, and those who can, harness this power within are the ones who are able to obey the commandments of Christ.

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
24 May 18
1 edit

Originally posted by @rajk999
No surprise there. Smart people keep away from the church. Good people live good lives and understand that the church is no authority. There is god in every man, and those who can, harness this power within are the ones who are able to obey the commandments of Christ.
I like Dutton's portrayal of 'religious instinct' and how people may reach out for God on a purely instinctive/emotional level, and that atheists are individuals who have resisted this instinctive behaviour by being intellectually curious and open to more rational possibilities.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
24 May 18

I like Dutton's portrayal of 'religious instinct' and how people may reach out for God on a purely instinctive/emotional level, and that atheists are individuals who have resisted this instinctive behaviour by being intellectually curious and open to more rational possibilities.
Many people reach out to God purely because of hardship and this is easily seen in third world countries. You are going to see people from developed countries lambaste me for saying this because they probably cannot see it in their own countries. Bit all over say South America the churches are full of poor people who need to believe in somethng. Now this is not nexessarily a bad thing but when it is done just so that the church can help you along materially and the believers heart is in the wrong place then it is of no use. God is displeased with that kind of false worship.

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
24 May 18

More rational possibilities.
Not sure if that's just poor word choice or irony.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
24 May 18
1 edit

Many people reach out to God purely because of hardship and this is easily seen in third world countries. You are going to see people from developed countries lambaste me for saying this because they probably cannot see it in their own countries. Bit all over say South America the churches are full of poor people who need to believe in somethng. Now this is ...[text shortened]... t is in the wrong place then it is of no use. God is displeased with that kind of false worship.
Many people only reach out to God in times of hardship because hardship is what it takes for them to set aside their sinful pride and chest puffing. And hardship exists in developed countries.

It’s “not necessarily a bad thing” for poor people to turn to God and go to church?

Your hatred of the church is truly repulsive.

Edit: Sick!

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
24 May 18
1 edit

Atheists don’t reach out to God because they’re too prideful. It’s that simple.

Many atheists who have been able to set aside their sinful pride and chest puffing and review the evidence for the Resurrection of Christ and (more importantly) read the Bible with an open heart and open mind have come away believers.

But God and human pride do not coexist. That theme exists throughout the Bible though even someone who claims to possess a theology degree fails to see it.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
24 May 18

There is God in every man? Where’s your Biblical support for that?

You previously said the Holy Spirit didn’t exist and that the idea of the Holy Spirit indwelling Christians was nonsense. Now you think the Holy Spirit indwells everyone?

Could you please stick to what you claim to believe for longer than a few days? Or does your pride require you to believe you have to have all the answers all the time?

Aficionado of Prawns

Texas

Moves
24 May 18

atheists like to believe that people get saved because we reached out to God in desperation, needing some kind of crutch to make us feel better.

While people do that in extreme, harsh conditions like poor health or being in prison. It's not true for everyone and certainly not true for me or many of my brothers and sisters who are former atheists themselves.

Isa 65:1
"I revealed myself to those who did not ask for me; I was found by those who did not seek me...."

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
24 May 18

The theory — called the 'Intelligence-Mismatch Association Model' — was proposed by a pair of authors who set out to explain why numerous studies over past decades ha ...[text shortened]... /science/atheists-more-intelligent-than-religious-people-faith-instinct-cleverness-a7742766.html
“The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.”

(Psalm 14:1)

I’ll take the Bible over psychobabble any day.

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
24 May 18

Originally posted by @freakykbh
More rational possibilities.
Not sure if that's just poor word choice or irony.
Some (weak) theists will cling to the idea that atheists don't accept the idea of God due to pride etc. Or that, 'Hallelujah!' atheists find God in times of crisis. (Forget the fact that many theists 'lose' God in times of crisis).

In the real world, there are far more rational possibilities than 'Goddidit.' There really are. (Well, for the intellectually curious at least).

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
24 May 18

“Atheism is a non-prophet organization.”

George Carlin.

Aficionado of Prawns

Texas

Moves
24 May 18

Someone's busying themselves thumbing down posts--apparently just because of who posted them, regardless of the content.

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
24 May 18
1 edit

Originally posted by @tom-wolsey
Someone's busying themselves thumbing down posts--apparently just because of who posted them, regardless of the content.
That happens here. Romans will play the victim in this regard but is by far the biggest protagonist.

Edit: I just thumbed down your previous post to take the counter to 2, to demonstrate the first thumbs down wasn't from me.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
24 May 18

I haven’t looked at the link but I wonder if the correlation is linear; I.e. the more religious you are, the less intelligent you are.