Are God and Faith Anti-Science and Anti-Reason? John Lennox

Are God and Faith Anti-Science and Anti-Reason? John Lennox

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
08 Jun 19
1 edit

@vivify said
2 Corinthians 5:7:

"We walk by faith, not by sight".

In other words, Christians live based on their beliefs, not by what they can observe. This is antithetical to science and reason.
If you pull one verse out of scripture you can make any point, so take in the whole. Many of the foundational men and women in science were theist, your understanding is not taking it all in. The conflict isn't faith and science, but the world view conflict where people's foundational views on the beginning.

rain

Moves
08 Jun 19

@kellyjay said
If you pull one verse out of scripture you can make any point, so take in the whole. Many of the foundational men and women in science were theist, your understanding is not taking it all in. The conflict isn't faith and science, but the world view conflict where people's foundational views on the beginning.
That verse isn't out of context; if it were, I'm sure you would've pointed out why. The Bible makes it clear it wants it's followers to believe it over what they can observe.

Many scientists were religious; but it's also religious people who have impeded science throughout history. It's only religious people who argue against evolution or the age of the earth. It's mainly Republicans, made up of the Christian right, who argue against climate change despite scientific evidence for it.

There's even a documentary called "The Principle" that argues for the earth being the center of the universe, based on Biblical scriptures. And let's not forget, of course, the Catholic Church, which held Galileo as a heretic for saying the earth revolves around the sun.

rain

Moves
08 Jun 19

@kellyjay said
Did you watch the video?
I'm not inclined to watch random videos that are an hour and ten minutes long. If there are any points fro, the video you feel are noteworthy, post them.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
08 Jun 19

@vivify said
That verse isn't out of context; if it were, I'm sure you would've pointed out why. The Bible makes it clear it wants it's followers to believe it over what they can observe.

Many scientists were religious; but it's also religious people who have impeded science throughout history. It's only religious people who argue against evolution or the age of the earth. It's mainl ...[text shortened]... , the Catholic Church, which held Galileo as a heretic for saying the earth revolves around the sun.
I said that we need to view the whole of scripture. We are to love the Lord with our mind as with the rest of our being, we are told to reason. Faith is not shutting down our brains it is trusting in what is trustworthy.

rain

Moves
08 Jun 19

@kellyjay said
I said that we need to view the whole of scripture. We are to love the Lord with our mind as with the rest of our being, we are told to reason. Faith is not shutting down our brains it is trusting in what is trustworthy.
I once started a thread asking religious people what would be required for them to *not* believe in their religion: Thread 149108

No one answered the question. This lead to the logical conclusion that no matter what evidence, logical argument, or event in the world happens, there is nothing that will make Christians stop believing. This is the exact opposite of science and reason. But believing no matter what is considered a virtue in your religion.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
08 Jun 19

@vivify said
I once started a thread asking religious people what would be required for them to *not* believe in their religion: Thread 149108

No one answered the question. This lead to the logical conclusion that no matter what evidence, logical argument, or event in the world happens, there is nothing that will make Christians stop believing. This is the exact opposite of science and reason. But believing no matter what is considered a virtue in your religion.
I started this for another reason.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
08 Jun 19
1 edit

@vivify said

You assume because no one cared to answer, your justified in making assumptions about the answers?

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
08 Jun 19

@vivify said

My answer to your question is if the scripture painted or described the universe around me differently than what I see I would have to reject it.

rain

Moves
08 Jun 19
1 edit

@kellyjay said
My answer to your question is if the scripture painted or described the universe around me differently than what I see I would have to reject it.
Which is exactly what science has done to the Bible, because it describes the universe differently from science (6,000 yr age of earth, Global Flood, humans returnin to dust, etc.). Yet, Christians still choose to believe in spotential of evidence and reason.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
08 Jun 19

@vivify said
Which is exactly what science has done to the Bible, because it describes the universe differently from science (6,000 yr age of earth, Global Flood, humans returnin to dust, etc.). Yet, Christians still choose to believe in spotential of evidence and reason.
Personally I think that is debatable, the more we learn the harder it is to believe many things people use to take for granted.

rain

Moves
08 Jun 19

@kellyjay said
Personally I think that is debatable, the more we learn the harder it is to believe many things people use to take for granted.
The only reason you think so is because science contradicts your faith. You'd have no reason to think it's "debatable" otherwise.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
08 Jun 19

@vivify said
The only reason you think so is because science contradicts your faith. You'd have no reason to think it's "debatable" otherwise.
Really, the only reason why you believe it is because of your faith!
There are many reasons, not that you are interested in looking at them.

rain

Moves
09 Jun 19

@kellyjay said
Really, the only reason why you believe it is because of your faith!
There are many reasons, not that you are interested in looking at them.
And 100 percent of those "reasons" come from religious people.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
09 Jun 19

@vivify said
And 100 percent of those "reasons" come from religious people.
🙂 Is that how you sleep at night?

rain

Moves
09 Jun 19

@kellyjay said
🙂 Is that how you sleep at night?
Do you have any non-religious sources for the 6,000 year age of earth or for evidence against evolution?