San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    06 Jun '19 02:42
    @kellyjay said
    [youtube] BKzizwPwNWU [/youtube]
    Are God and Faith Anti-Science and Anti-Reason? John Lennox
    1:10
    Faith is about dogma.
    Faith has little to do with truth and logic.
    Fact: Moses and the Exodus never existed. Even Israeli archaeologists have agreed for decades. Yet when I posted that fact here many disagreed immediately rather than examine the facts. Faith is not about truth.
  3. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    06 Jun '19 03:47
    @caissad4 said
    Faith is about dogma.
    Fact: Moses and the Exodus never existed. Even Israeli archaeologists have agreed for decades. Yet when I posted that fact here many disagreed immediately rather than examine the facts. Faith is not about truth.
    Well, thank you for your opinion.
    Difficult to be proven wrong when you only look at one side of the argument.
    Your facts look more like opinions than anything else.

I believe God created the universe, the universe is here due to a cause. You have some other explanation as to why everything is here? God is self-existent, He does not need anything to be, He is the same yesterday, today, and forever. So with God there isn’t an endless list of cause and effect taking place. Without a self-existent cause, what is left?

Your facts again appear more like opinions, the strength of your pronouncement is even Israeli archaeologist have agreed, well if people agree it must be a fact, or it’s an opinion at the moment that could change with new data? Frankly I think the OT records do that rather well, as showing an historical account of the beginning of everything even many of the races we see in the world today.

You have faith, you just fail to acknowledge it, mainly due to the fact you have woven the word ‘faith”, to be strictly a religious term. Faith’s meaning is much more than that. I assume you believe the universe can be understood by study don't you? You also believe your mind is a product of an unguided, uncaring, purposeless evolutionary process correct? Yet I assume you have faith in your own judgments, you trust your mind’s conclusions even with how it was made, evolving without any plan or purpose over time.

Would you trust a computer's output if it was all unguided, and purposeless, I doubt it. So you have faith in your mind, your brain, your understanding because, why? Was it all of the non-effort applied to making it trustworthy? Was it the lack of design and purpose put into it? Was it knowing that the outcome was as meaningless as everything else that did, or didn’t evolved over time till today? Was it your beliefs about your brain’s origins, that allows you to put your faith in your reasoning, to discern what is true and real?
  4. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    06 Jun '19 03:54
    @KellyJay

When opinion becomes fact, then it is dogma.
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    06 Jun '19 08:50
    @kellyjay said
    Your facts look more like opinions than anything else.
    The irony...
  6. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    06 Jun '19 09:45
    @divegeester said
    The irony...
    You ever wonder why so many of your posts are insults, either directly or indirectly at others? Some people you just follow around calling them out over this, than that, and anything else as if that were your calling in life. Do you ever try to direct others to Christ, do you try to lift burdens off people instead of attempt to put them on them?
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    06 Jun '19 10:24
    @kellyjay said
    You ever wonder why so many of your posts are insults, either directly or indirectly at others? Some people you just follow around calling them out over this, than that, and anything else as if that were your calling in life. Do you ever try to direct others to Christ, do you try to lift burdens off people instead of attempt to put them on them?
    What you said WAS ironic, though.
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    06 Jun '19 11:191 edit
    @caissad4

Caissad4 could you prove to us that the scientific method leads to truth.
    Do so without using circular reasoning please.
  9. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    07 Jun '19 00:52
    @kellyjay said
    They don't have to be.

To me, religion and spirituality are suited for answering questions such as, "why are we here?" and "what is our purpose in life?" and "how should I live life, from a moral standpoint?" and in general, questions more of a philosophical bent.

Science is suited for questions like, "how old is the earth/universe?" and "how did life start on earth?" and "how far away is the Sun?" and in general, questions about how, specifically, the physical universe works.

The problems start when people read religious books as if they were Science treatises [when clearly they were never intended to be such, and obviously lack the rigor and precision of a good Scientific text], or when people become so enamored with the Scientific Method that they think it can answer any question [when clearly it is not always the right tool for the job].
  10. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    07 Jun '19 00:56
    @BigDoggProblem

Science answers questions about what can be observed and repeated. What are the laws of nature? How can we interact with the physical world.

At least that is how I see it.
  11. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    07 Jun '19 00:58
    @eladar said
    @BigDoggProblem

Science answers questions about what can be observed and repeated. What are the laws of nature? How can we interact with the physical world.

At least that is how I see it.
    I have no issue with that definition.

My main issue is with people of the sort who insist the Earth is only 6000 years old because of a string of "begats" they read in the Bible. Talk about an unreliable method of getting that answer!
  12. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    07 Jun '19 01:06
    @kellyjay said
    Anti-Science is definitely a Christian Creationist attribute. You should actually read many of their mission statements where they clearly state that contrary scientific evidence to their beliefs is of no consequence and all that matters is what they believe and what the Bible says. That is definitely not science and calling it such is a deliberate lie.
    As I said, faith has little to do with truth and logic.
  13. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    07 Jun '19 01:09
    @caissad4 said
    Anti-Science is definitely a Christian Creationist attribute. You should actually read many of their mission statements where they clearly state that contrary scientific evidence to their beliefs is of no consequence and all that matters is what they believe and what the Bible says. That is definitely not science and calling it such is a deliberate lie.
    As I said, faith has little to do with truth and logic.
    But, are there limits to "truth" and logic?

Say, it may be a fact that human scientific knowledge may eventually hit a wall, because of our physical limitations.

[I share your disgust with people who ignore scientific evidence. I just thought it might be more interesting to talk with you than one of those types.]
  14. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    07 Jun '19 01:10
    @bigdoggproblem said
    I have no issue with that definition.

My main issue is with people of the sort who insist the Earth is only 6000 years old because of a string of "begats" they read in the Bible. Talk about an unreliable method of getting that answer!
    If God exists and the universe was the result of a miraculous creation, science would never be able to calculate age.
  15. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    07 Jun '19 01:111 edit
    @eladar said
    If God exists and the universe was the result of a miraculous creation, science would never be able to calculate age.
    Ahh, but it depends.

Did God try to hide what he did, or not?

If he did not, there is no reason Science can't find out how God did things.

I suppose much of this hinges on one's definition of "miracle".

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree