Are Christians permitted to own slaves?

Are Christians permitted to own slaves?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rc

Moves
18 Jan 13

Originally posted by FMF
Perhaps everyone can see that you are spending a lot of your time directing personal remarks at me instead of engaging properly in this discussion, robbie.
everyone can see that you are a troll, it is enough for me.

F

Moves
18 Jan 13
2 edits

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
forced out into the open, i have nothing to hide, i was perfectly aware of the Biblical position before your trolling tried to make it some kind of issue, when in fact there is none.
On the contrary. Anyone reading Thread 150734, especially the latter stages, page 10 onwards, will see that you were behaving in a peculiar way, a peculiar kind of stonewalling. You refused to answer the question about whether slaves are still permitted by God in the 21stC, you refused to answer it countless times. And then there was this exchange for example:

FMF: According to your own understanding of the Bible, do you believe slavery is still permitted?

robbie: permitted? as among Gods servants? or among the populace as a whole?

FMF: Permitted in the same way as it was permitted by your version of God in OT times?

robbie: We are no longer under the mandates of the Law, it was specific to Jewish people, we are Christians.

But shortly afterwards you were apparently forced out into the open and it was no longer a case of it being "no longer under the mandates of the Law" and "specific to Jewish people", but instead you started to assert that Christians are permitted by God to own slaves. So, contrary to what you say, there is an issue here. And the issue has been brought to the fore. No amount of personal remarks aimed at me is going to alter this fact.

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
18 Jan 13

everyone can see you are a troll uninterested in honest and legitimate discussion, there is nothing personal about stating facts.
If you want to speak for everyone Robbie, you should at least ask their permission first.

F

Moves
18 Jan 13

Nice try but i think you would be used to failure by now considering your entire posting history is the biggest failure, i am thankful in fact for the post for it demonstrates the type of poster you are, an internet troll, trolling for some kind of emotive response, EPIC FAIL!
I don't see how these personal remarks aimed at me are helping you to make your case.

F

Moves
18 Jan 13

what is there to discuss with you? do tell? you were asked to provide the refutation and you cowardly hid behind your question because you cannot do so, repeating it three times, you were asked to discus the differences between the Biblical stance and oppressive forms of slavery, you would not do so, what is there to discuss with you, nothing, because your posts are empty.
We have been talking about slavery as described and permitted by your version of God in the OT all along. Thread 150734

F

Moves
18 Jan 13

Originally posted by galveston75
LOl. It never ends does it?
* BUMP for galveston75 *

Do you agree with robbie? Are Christians permitted by God to own slaves?

Suzianne and Zahlanzi reckon that Christians are not permitted by God to own slaves. Do you agree with them or robbie?

rc

Moves
18 Jan 13
2 edits

Originally posted by avalanchethecat
If you want to speak for everyone Robbie, you should at least ask their permission first.
If you can refute the statement cat dude then please do so, in fact, can you point me to where FMF has provided a shred, no a slither, nay, a bare thread worth of discussion? for try as i might i cannot find any myself, now why would anyone post on such an emotive issue and such an apparently serious issue as slavery if they were uninterested in discussing it within the terms of the questions that they themselves posed as is evident here. If you cannot find an answer then the statement stands. I apologise if i have been presumptuous, but these things seem self evident to me.

rc

Moves
18 Jan 13
1 edit

why do forum trolls exist

There is no definite answer to this. In most cases, the forum troll desires attention (be it due to a lack of attention elsewhere, or some other reason). Sometimes the troll simply enjoys causing conflict and/or harassing others for personal pleasure. The shroud anonymity the internet provides the common forum troll with is also a significant factor in their existence for several reasons. Knowing there will likely be no repercussions to their actions, as a result of their anonymity, forum trolls are free to post as they please. Often, this is a way for the forum troll to air their personal grievances or to boast a disfavored ideology such as racism or sexism. Anonymity also allows the internet troll to take on a new persona, one which is often unrepresentative and far from their true self. For some trolls, this is a means to boost their ego and build up their low self-esteem. In addition to the reasons already mentioned, there are numerous other explanations as to why forum trolls exist. One fact that is certain: the forum troll is a sadistic creature. You must abstain from satisfying its perverse needs.

http://forums.atlusonline.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=7635

F

Moves
18 Jan 13

why do forum trolls exist

There is no definite answer to this. In most cases, the forum troll desires attention (be it due to a lack of attention elsewhere, or some other reason). [b]Sometimes the troll simply enjoys causing conflict and/or harassing others for personal pleasure.
The shroud anonymity the internet provides the common forum troll with is also a significant factor in their existence for several reasons. Knowing there will likely be no repercussions to their actions, as a result of their anonymity, forum trolls are free to post as they please. Often, this is a way for the forum troll to air their personal grievances or to boast a disfavored ideology such as racism or sexism. Anonymity also allows the internet troll to take on a new persona, one which is often unrepresentative and far from their true self. For some trolls, this is a means to boost their ego and build up their low self-esteem. In addition to the reasons already mentioned, there are numerous other explanations as to why forum trolls exist. One fact that is certain: the forum troll is a sadistic creature. You must abstain from satisfying its perverse needs.[/b]

I believe this question of your version of God permitting Christians to own slaves in the twenty first century is an interesting, legitimate and serious topic. I don't see how raising it is "sadistic" or "perverse" at all.

F

Moves
18 Jan 13
2 edits

If you can refute the statement cat dude then please do so, in fact, can you point me to where FMF has provided a shred, no a slither, nay, a bare thread worth of discussion? for try as i might i cannot find any myself, now why would anyone post on such an emotive issue and such an apparently serious issue as slavery if they were uninterested in disc ...[text shortened]... ment stands. I apologise if i have been presumptuous, but these things seem self evident to me.
Why do you think galveston75 has apparently and pointedly refused to support y our claims on this issue thus far?

edit: On the thread about 'JWs being in agreement', galveston75, again, just a moment ago, has shown himself reluctant to express "full and complete agreement" [indeed no agreement at all] with you on this slavery issue. He is dodging questions about the JW stance on slavery.

F

Moves
18 Jan 13

Originally posted by Suzianne
Good grief, if this is all you atheists have to try and turn people against God, then you have a long, uphill fight ahead of you. I don't know how much more clearly I can say it: For (hopefully) the last time, mosaic laws do not apply to Christians. Nor anyone in this day and age, but this is in my humble opinion only.
First, I don't consider myself to be an atheist. Secondly, it is not me but robbie corrobie who claims that twenty first century Christians are permitted by God to own slaves, in so far as if they are permitted by local secular laws to do so. Do you think that robbie's claim could "turn people against God"?

Moves
18 Jan 13

If you can refute the statement cat dude then please do so, in fact, can you point me to where FMF has provided a shred, no a slither, nay, a bare thread worth of discussion? for try as i might i cannot find any myself, now why would anyone post on such an emotive issue and such an apparently serious issue as slavery if they were uninterested in disc ...[text shortened]... ment stands. I apologise if i have been presumptuous, but these things seem self evident to me.
You said about FMF that "everyone can see that you are a troll, it is enough for me."

To which avalanchethecat said... "If you want to speak for everyone Robbie, you
should at least ask their permission first."

The burden of proof lies with you to demonstrate that everyone, or at least a majority agree with
you in your assessment of FMF as a troll.

given the number of times in which I and others have told you flat out that we agree with FMF
and regard you as the one who lies and evades questions it would seem presumptuous and foolish
in the extreme for you to claim that WE agree with YOU that FMF is a troll.

I certainly don't. avalanchethecat doesn't seem to.

And I don't in fact see anyone (with the possible exception of G75) siding with, or agreeing with
you on this.

The onus is thus on you to demonstrate that the majority here agree with you that FMF is a troll.

My suspicion is that the majority would regard you as a troll rather than FMF.

You constantly 'talk to the gallery' like you were the hero in a play making mocking asides to the audience
who is rooting for you.

This strikes me as being highly delusional because as far as I can tell the majority of people here are
not on your side and don't agree with you.

Now I can't be certain about that.

But if I were you I would stop assuming everyone watching the discussion is on your side and agrees with you.

And if we're being literal. I am part of everyone. I don't think FMF is a troll. You are thus wrong.

F

Moves
18 Jan 13

Originally posted by googlefudge
And I don't in fact see anyone (with the possible exception of G75) siding with, or agreeing with you on this.
galveston75 has pointedly declined to offer robbie any public support over this issue and has refused to answer questions about whether Jehovah's Witnesses are in agreement about this 21stC slavery issue.

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
18 Jan 13

Originally posted by FMF
galveston75 has pointedly declined to offer robbie any public support over this issue and has refused to answer questions about whether Jehovah's Witnesses are in agreement about this 21stC slavery issue.
So dumb........

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
18 Jan 13

I don't see FMF as "a troll uninterested in honest and legitimate discussion". So your statement is refuted, unequivocally.

I think FMF's point is entirely valid. Those who would hold the bible up as the literal word of god or an unquestioned source of moral guidance must presumably find themselves in support of the abominable (to my mind, anyway) practice of slavery. By the same token, those who find slavery unacceptable must presumably question the validity of scriptural guidance on this issue at the very least.