Altruism ~ Nature or Nurture?

Altruism ~ Nature or Nurture?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ENGLAND

Moves
02 Oct 16

Originally posted by apathist
Stand. As in make a stand. It's an american thing, means to make a determined effort to defend something or to stop something from happening. What are you on about. What are you defending. Your tactic isn't working, so try actually explaining yourself.
You sound like Fetchmyjunk.

Moves
02 Oct 16

Originally posted by divegeester
No that doesn't follow at all. Sometimes people do extraordinary acts of kindness where there is demonstrable effort and self sacrifice , Pergaps in time, money or other loss. However these people will always be acting on some level of personal self interest also. There will always be a combination of a sense of internal need to help and of personal grat ...[text shortened]...
It's stil a good thing, but to say there is no personal interest is simply false in my opinon.
"There will always be a combination of a sense of internal need to help and of personal gratification in having done so.It's still a good thing, but to say there is no personal interest is simply false in my opinion."

What of altruistic acts that are detrimental to the self and bring no personal gratification or self interest? I can think of many examples.

ENGLAND

Moves
02 Oct 16

Originally posted by apathist
Stand. As in make a stand. It's an american thing, means to make a determined effort to defend something or to stop something from happening. What are you on about. What are you defending. Your tactic isn't working, so try actually explaining yourself.
The onus is on you to explain how anything I've said in this thread indicates that I think doing good things is "offensive". It's your claim, not mine.

ENGLAND

Moves
02 Oct 16

Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
What of altruistic acts that are detrimental to the self and bring no personal gratification or self interest? I can think of many examples.
You need to firstly remove the word "altruistic" from your question as it is pre-determining the outcome.

ENGLAND

Moves
02 Oct 16

You need to firstly remove the word "altruistic" from your question as it is pre-determining the outcome.
Then you need to remove "bring no gratification or self interest" as these are assumptive claims, not proven.

ENGLAND

Moves
02 Oct 16

Actually GoaD I don't think your question is very well constructed as it is completely biased towards your opinion.

ENGLAND

Moves
02 Oct 16

My premise here is that there are no acts undertaken whereby the actor has no personal interest, gain or psychological or biological benefit, however small.

Moves
02 Oct 16

What of acts 'that help other people' that are detrimental to the self and bring no personal gratification or self interest?

Are those acts not altruistic in the commonly understood definition?

ENGLAND

Moves
02 Oct 16

What of acts 'that help other people' that are detrimental to the self and bring no personal gratification or self interest?

Are those acts not altruistic in the commonly understood definition?
As I've said several times in this thread we need to agree on a definition of altruism.

Currently it seems to include the claim that an act deemed to have been altruistic will have no personal gain or self interest whatsoever. I dispute that there any act carried out anywhere by anyone that meet this criteria. If you have a different criteria or definition then we can discuss that?

Moves
02 Oct 16

As I've said several times in this thread we need to agree on a definition of altruism.

Currently it seems to include the claim that an act deemed to have been altruistic will have no personal gain or self interest whatsoever. I dispute that there any act carried out anywhere by anyone that meet this criteria. If you have a different criteria or definition then we can discuss that?
I'm not sure how we can arrive at a definition for something that you have already stated doesn't exist.

For me, an altruistic act is an act that puts other people first. The most beautiful kind of altruism is where there is no personal benefit, but even an act that does contain some level of self interest is still an act of altruism.

Cape Town

Moves
02 Oct 16
1 edit

No but I suspect you are you try to claim you have no self interest in caring for your children.
I think you are trolling. You have bastardised the word 'altruism' as well as the term 'self interest'. That you know this is obvious by the fact that you refuse to define either term or answer clarifying questions.

I do maintain that by the standard meaning of 'self interest', I have no self interest in caring for my children. I do not consider carrying out innate desires to be 'self interest'. For me 'self interest' is something that I believe will bring me personal benefit.

Although 'mental satisfaction' may be termed 'self interest' I am neither convinced that it is a satisfactory use of the term except in extreme cases and I am also convinced that that is not always the case anyway.

ENGLAND

Moves
02 Oct 16
1 edit

I'm not sure how we can arrive at a definition for something that you have already stated doesn't exist.

For me, an altruistic act is an act that puts other people first. The most beautiful kind of altruism is where there is no personal benefit, but even an act that does contain some level of self interest is still an act of altruism.
Forget the word altruism and think about what it means.

I agree that putting other people first is a good thing and happens frequently. However I maintain that there is always an element of self interest. Doing something for your kids is obvious, doing it for charity could be obvious as perhaps YOU care about the cause and YOU want to support it, doing so gives YOU a sense of purpose, contribution and well being. Diving into to save a drowning person is less obvious but there is still self interest, perhaps you know the person, perhaps you have known someone who drowned, perhaps YOU just can't bear to stand back and feel compelled to help.

These are all still good things but I believe there is always a driver from the self somewhere.

Cape Town

Moves
02 Oct 16

Yet you dodge around actually arriving at a definition.

ENGLAND

Moves
02 Oct 16
1 edit

Originally posted by twhitehead
Yet you dodge around actually arriving at a definition.
I don't believe it exists so how can I define it.

You define it and I'll tell you if I agree with you.

Cape Town

Moves
02 Oct 16

These are all still good things but I believe there is always a driver from the self somewhere.
Given that that claim flies in the face of all evidence, I think you need to substantiate it.