After Life

After Life

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
15 Jan 22
1 edit

Just finished the new S3 after rewatching S1 and 2.

Throughout the telling Gervais weaves a gruelling yet often humour-filled story of dealing with the loss of his wife through the eyes of an atheist, while exploring the positive and negative impact of his behaviour on those around him and how that plays back to him.

All three series touch on the various aspects of religion and other supernatural beliefs as related to bereavement. I found it compelling thought provoking viewing.

Has anyone else here seen it? Thoughts?

F

Moves
15 Jan 22

@divegeester said
Just finished the new S3 after rewatching S1 and 2.

Throughout the telling Gervais weaves a gruelling yet often humour-filled story of dealing with the loss of his wife through the eyes of an atheist, while exploring the positive and negative impact of his behaviour on those around him and how that plays back to him.

All three series touch on the various aspects of ...[text shortened]... reavement. I found it compelling thought proving viewing.

Has anyone else here seen it? Thoughts?
I thought series 1 was a masterpiece and hoped upon hope he'd leave it at that.

I approached series 2 with trepidation but it was really good, one element aside, which I thought was a 'gag' that got flogged to death. I hoped upon hope he'd leave it at that. Together, series 1 and 2 had been a minor masterpiece.

Now I suppose I approach series 3 with trepidation.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
15 Jan 22

@fmf said
I thought series 1 was a masterpiece and hoped upon hope he'd leave it at that.

I approached series 2 with trepidation but it was really good, one element aside, which I thought was a 'gag' that got flogged to death. I hoped upon hope he'd leave it at that. Together, series 1 and 2 had been a minor masterpiece.

Now I suppose I approach series 3 with trepidation.
Which gag? Yes there were a few like that, most worked though.

The only element of all three series which I thought didn’t work at all was the psychiatrist scenes.

F

Moves
15 Jan 22

@divegeester said
Which gag? Yes there were a few like that, most worked though.

The only element of all three series which I thought didn’t work at all was the psychiatrist scenes.
Yes. That was the element I was referring to. Gervais indulging his glee at shocking people rather than indulging his considerable penchant for being subtle and observant.