abortion

abortion

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
28 Oct 05
1 edit

Originally posted by Halitose
Why do you use history when refuting my claim of theism and then philosophy when substantiating for atheism? This is like adding x to y to prove z. If you want to look at history, just dwell for a while on (atheistic) communism and its great respect for human life.
What did you do to the real Halitose? He's not this thickheaded.

You stated :

I think that is one of the fundamental differences between the theist and atheist: the basic right to - and sanctity of life.

Since you assert it as a "fundmental difference" I need only show that some theists don't believe in sanctity of life and that some non-theists do. I did so. I don't have to show that all non-theists believe in any sanctity of life as you claimed the difference is fundamental it is up to you to show that ALL theists believe in such a concept and ALL nontheists don't. You haven't and can't as it ain't so. A suicide bomber is a theist, isn't he?

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
28 Oct 05

Originally posted by RatX
[b]Those mass murders were obscene, stupid and ignorant.

What are those mystical "those" you keep talking about?

And while you're at it - please post your "social contract".[/b]
Read John Locke's Two Treatises of Government or Part 2 of Tom Paine's Rights of Man.

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
28 Oct 05
1 edit

Originally posted by no1marauder
What did you do to the real Halitose? He's not this thickheaded.

You stated :

I think that is one of the fundamental differences between the theist and atheist: the basic right to - and sanctity of life.

Since you assert it as a "fundmental difference" I need only show that some theists don't believe in sanctity of life ...[text shortened]... heists don't. You haven't and can't as it ain't so. A suicide bomber is a theist, isn't he?
You're right... I should have been more specific.

R

Hamelin: RAT-free

Moves
28 Oct 05
1 edit

Originally posted by no1marauder
Read John Locke's Two Treatises of Government or Part 2 of Tom Paine's Rights of Man.
As you know it - give me the jist of it... If you'd be so kind.

And wasn't John Locke a theist?

a

Meddling with things

Moves
28 Oct 05

[b]Nothing I have said belittles the value of life. I can think of nothing with higher value.

My bad. I read too deeply into your post...

Any right which is undeliverable or u8nenforcable is not a right, whether that right is a construct of humans or if it is a 'god given' right.

I think the right to life is enforcable; doesn't a mur ...[text shortened]... when he violates another's right? When applying this to abortion, I fail to see the difference.[/b]
A child in Africa with diarrhea has a right to life but do we deliver that right by ensuring the child has clean water and rehydration supplements?

Before anyone snorts in derision diarrhea is the single largest killer of infants in the third world.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
28 Oct 05

Originally posted by aardvarkhome
A child in Africa with diarrhea has a right to life but do we deliver that right by ensuring the child has clean water and rehydration?
A killer on Death Row has the right to life for that matter.

Bah, what am I thinking, getting involved in a thread on abortion?

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
28 Oct 05

Originally posted by aardvarkhome
A child in Africa with diarrhea has a right to life but do we deliver that right by ensuring the child has clean water and rehydration supplements?

Before anyone snorts in derision diarrhea is the single largest killer of infants in the third world.
I agree with ya. Malaria, (which is curable) is currently the biggest killer in Africa.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
28 Oct 05

As you know it - give me the jist of it... If you'd be so kind.

And wasn't John Locke a theist?
Since it keeps coming up, I'll start a thread in Debates when I get a chance. It's rather sad that some people in the US seem to be unfamiliar with the political philosophy that was the basis for our founding documents.

Yes, Locke was a theist as was Paine (Tom was a different type of theist than Locke). Lockean Fundamental Rights theory does not necessarily require a higher power, though that has been debated here as well.

R

Moves
28 Oct 05

Originally posted by Bosse de Nage

But didn't the killer forfeit his right to life when he infringed (for lack of a harsher word) on the right to life of a fellow human?

Indeed.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
28 Oct 05

[b]A killer on Death Row has the right to life for that matter.But didn't the killer forfeit his right to life when he infringed (for lack of a harsher word) on the right to life of a fellow human? [/b]
An inalienable right is one that cannot be taken away.

R

Moves
28 Oct 05

Here is the concept of restitution - if I take something of yours, I must give it back, or repay you (if illegally, with interest). If I take your life (removing your right to life), the law relinquishes my right to life (not by reducing the value of my life, but rather as just restitution to my crime). My two-cents...

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
28 Oct 05
1 edit

Back to the abortion debate... As I've clearly stated my position on the start of human life, I request those who disagree to give their proposed stage of initiation for a further consolidation of thought. Step up or step down, folks.

w
Stay outta my biznez

Moves
28 Oct 05

Back to the abortion debate... As I've clearly stated my position on the start of human life, I request those who disagree to give their proposed stage of initiation for a further consolidation of thought. Step up or step down, folks.
Your position is clearly stated and understood Halitose. People simply disagree with it. I disagree and choose to err on the side of freedom. You choose to err on the side of your faith or "beliefs".

I'll stick with facts when I have to make a decision regarding someone else's rights or their actions within those rights.

Your personal faith has no place in anyone else's private life.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
28 Oct 05

That does mean that it cannot be forfeited.

R

Moves
28 Oct 05

Originally posted by wib
Your position is clearly stated and understood Halitose. People simply disagree with it. I disagree and choose to err on the side of freedom. You choose to err on the side of your faith or "beliefs".

I'll stick with facts when I have to make a decision regarding someone else's rights or their actions within those rights.

Your personal faith has no place in anyone else's private life.

Conception, in most medical circles, is the beginning of human life. It is a unique and complete human being - all it needs is nutrition and oxygen to develop into a mature baby. It is simply a matter of development. One cannot really take any other point in development as a referance, as they all happen gradually (developmental) and are different from case to case.

The ethical and moral decision on this are then based on those facts and the belief system (theist or atheist). So the question stands - when does life begin (on your definition of life) and on what grounds is it sacred (for lack of a better word, but you get the implications...)?

Looking forward to your answers tomorrow, it's pretty late over here. Later... 😴