A wonderful universe

A wonderful universe

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

m

Moves
14 May 08

Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
Assume the windpipe is as big as you like.
This is slightly off-topic.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
14 May 08

Originally posted by mjolnir
This is slightly off-topic.
The scenario I've sketched out is just somebody else's 'wonderful universe'. Why should experiencing the universe as a sociopath be any less wonderful, if not more, than it is more people blessed or burdened with a conscience?

m

Moves
14 May 08

The scenario I've sketched out is just somebody else's 'wonderful universe'. Why should experiencing the universe as a sociopath be any less wonderful, if not more, than it is more people blessed or burdened with a conscience?
I have the conscience of a small young girl. It is in a jar on my desk.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
14 May 08

I have the conscience of a small young girl. It is in a jar on my desk.
I gave up collecting years ago. It came to seem pointless and distracting. Now I'm into property and blue rinse franchises.

m

Moves
14 May 08

I gave up collecting years ago. It came to seem pointless and distracting. Now I'm into property and blue rinse franchises.
Collecting is fun... I prefer stamps. Ones that cover the mouths of the ignorant.

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
15 May 08

What else do they tell you?
One life. Live it to the full. Try to maximise my enjoyment of it by staying alive, but allowing myself to take moderate risk.

Having children at some point probably isn't a bad idea either. Or probably "child", singular, overcrowding, see?

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
15 May 08
1 edit

Collecting is fun... I prefer stamps. Ones that cover the mouths of the ignorant.
Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver.

Cape Town

Moves
15 May 08

Wouldn't suicide be a beautiful consummation of your relationship with the here and now? It'd be difficult to conceive of a more intense experience.
I don't see why it would be particularly 'intense'. Neither do I think it would be a particularly enjoyable experience. If intense was all I wanted I could try getting tortured, walking around naked till I get arrested etc etc.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
15 May 08

Originally posted by twhitehead
I don't see why it would be particularly 'intense'. Neither do I think it would be a particularly enjoyable experience. If intense was all I wanted I could try getting tortured, walking around naked till I get arrested etc etc.
Use your imagination. Or read 'Crash' as a prompt.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
15 May 08

Originally posted by scottishinnz
One life. Live it to the full. Try to maximise my enjoyment of it by staying alive, but allowing myself to take moderate risk.

Having children at some point probably isn't a bad idea either. Or probably "child", singular, overcrowding, see?
'Maximise my enjoyment'. Sex? Drugs? Bird-watching?

I fail to see how that would give your life meaning. But it would help to pass the time.

Why insist on having a meaningful life at all? Surely meaning is ripe for the scrapheap.

Cape Town

Moves
15 May 08

'Maximise my enjoyment'. Sex? Drugs? Bird-watching?
He did list having children. As a father I can testify that having a child is better than bird watching. Drugs have the disadvantage of having the potential to make the enjoyment short lived.

I fail to see how that would give your life meaning. But it would help to pass the time.
Why insist on having a meaningful life at all? Surely meaning is ripe for the scrapheap.

I guess one needs to delve into what you mean by meaning.

g

Moves
16 May 08

It seems to me that if we live in a Godless universe, then all meaning and morality is merely a matter of personal preference, while if we were created by God, then our meaning in life is to please our creator.,

S

Moves
22 Nov 08

Originally posted by LittleFox
Any god that created the requirements for life (killing and eating other living things), must be pretty cruel.
I agree. I've always said that I could surely come up with a better system with both hands tied behind my back. What kind of cruel, vicious freak would set things up so that you had to kill or be killed? Or eat or starve? Or arrange so that some organisms (like certain wasps) hatch and eat their way out of another living being? WTF?

rc

Moves
22 Nov 08

Originally posted by scottishinnz
I was just thinking as I was working in the lab about 2 common theistic arguments, which seem to contradict each other.

1) The universe is so wonderful there must be a creator.

2) Without a creator life has no purpose.

Irrespective of whether a creator exists or not, I think we can all agree the universe is a pretty spiffy place. I know I like ...[text shortened]... rpose in their lives? Who could live amongst such wonder and require a god to give them meaning?
actualy the idea is this, inasmuch as it is propounded that life has arisen due to accident or chance and therfore did not occur purposely logicaly and of nessessity we conclude it must be without purpose, the antithesis of this for the theist is that if life was the direct action of a beneficent and intelligent designer, then it must have been created with a purpose.

the universe is indeed stageringly beautiful!

rc

Moves
22 Nov 08

Originally posted by Sandnshore
I agree. I've always said that I could surely come up with a better system with both hands tied behind my back. What kind of cruel, vicious freak would set things up so that you had to kill or be killed? Or eat or starve? Or arrange so that some organisms (like certain wasps) hatch and eat their way out of another living being? WTF?
if you could make fairy cakes you would be doing well!😛