A Site for All Spirituality Forum Debaters

A Site for All Spirituality Forum Debaters

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

C

Moves
27 Jun 07

Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
That's what I'm trying to get you to decide. Which morality supersedes which when the two conflict?
Ok, that's a tough question.

The answer is that God's law (morality) should supersede mine when they clash. In reality that is often the case but not always (due to my falibility).

Does that help to answer your question?

C

Moves
27 Jun 07

I see. So, you are saying that's God's law is a sort of relative morality. What is wrong for you under God's law may be right for somebody else. For example, there might be some people for whom committing murder is morally correct.
No, I'm not saying that - I'm saying that I have no right to assume or judge what is right or wrong for another person.

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
27 Jun 07

Originally posted by Crita

Does that help to answer your question?
Yes, at long last.

Let us stipulate that God's law supersedes any other morality.

Given that God's law calls for worshiping only him, why would you tolerate people worshiping other Gods, when their natural right to such worship is overruled by God's law?

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
27 Jun 07

No, I'm not saying that - I'm saying that I have no right to assume or judge what is right or wrong for another person.
To whom do God's Commandments apply? Just those who believe in God?

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
27 Jun 07
1 edit

I'm saying that I have no right to assume or judge what is right or wrong for another person.
That's just what I said. For example, there may be people for whom murdering is morally correct; you can't say otherwise.

C

Moves
27 Jun 07
1 edit

Yes, at long last.

Let us stipulate that God's law supersedes any other morality.

Given that God's law calls for worshiping only him, why would you tolerate people worshiping other Gods, when their natural right to such worship is overruled by God's law?
ha ha ha - you're going around in circles! And not listening to what I'm saying because you're angling for me to say 'yes, I think we should kill anyone who doesn't worship God!' lol

No, I didn't say 'God's law supersedes any other morality' - I said God's law supersedes my own morality when they clash. Entirely different point.

Why do you insist on trying to get me to worry about what other people are thinking/doing etc? Whether someone worships Allah, Buhdda, or anything else is none of my business. What I am responsible for is my relationship with God and THAT IS IT. No one else's. I am commanded (by God) not to judge others and I refuse to tell someone else what I think is right or wrong for them.

See my point?

w
Chocolate Expert

Cocoa Mountains

Moves
27 Jun 07

For example, there are Mormon sects whose male leaders force and manipulate children in their community into sex and polygamous marriages, believing it is their God-given right.
I don't consider that religion. I consider it an act allegedly supported by religion, similar to Islamic extremists who commit unspeakable actions in the name of Islam.

Such actions are not religion; thus, I do not show "religious" tolerance for them.

C

Moves
27 Jun 07

To whom do God's Commandments apply? Just those who believe in God?
More or less.

C

Moves
27 Jun 07

That's just what I said. For example, there may be people for whom murdering is morally correct; you can't say otherwise.
Correct.

w
Chocolate Expert

Cocoa Mountains

Moves
27 Jun 07

ha ha ha - you're going around in circles! And not listening to what I'm saying because you're angling for me to say 'yes, I think we should kill anyone who doesn't worship God!' lol

No, I didn't say 'God's law supersedes any other morality' - I said God's law supersedes my own morality when they clash. Entirely different point.

Why do you insist on tryi ...[text shortened]... efuse to tell someone else what I think is right or wrong for them.

See my point?
You keep on taking the words right out of my mouth.

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
27 Jun 07
1 edit

you're going around in circles!
Trust me, you're the one to blame for this. I've been trying to break us out of the orbit, and you are the one persisting in equivocating and speaking out of both sides of your mouth. I can call in some impartial judges for a second opinion if you don't believe me.

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
27 Jun 07

Correct.
Then you are a very bad person.

w
Chocolate Expert

Cocoa Mountains

Moves
27 Jun 07
1 edit

Since this whole discussion began around the site www.religoustolerance.org, I'd like to take a quote from it.

"...religious tolerance means: to extend religious freedom to people of all religious traditions, even though you may well disagree with their beliefs and/or practices."

and for the sake of clarity,

"Religious freedom means that you can: without oppression, believe, worship and witness (or practice freedom from belief, worship and witness), as you wish..."

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
27 Jun 07

Originally posted by wittywonka
I don't consider that religion. I consider it an act allegedly supported by religion, similar to Islamic extremists who commit unspeakable actions in the name of Islam.

Such actions are not religion; thus, I do not show "religious" tolerance for them.
What does it mean to you to exercise religious tolerance?

For example, does it entail refraining from criticizing beliefs that you believe to be false?

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
27 Jun 07
1 edit

Originally posted by wittywonka

Was Abraham's hauling his son to the altar to slay him a religious act? Would you have tolerated the slaying?