A question to atheists

A question to atheists

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

w

Moves
14 Jun 06

Originally posted by googlefudge
we create mathmatical arguments/proofs for things we don't comprehend every day. you can't comprehend an 11 dimensional space time but we can describe it mathematicaly with ease.
A 11 dimensional space time?

C
Ego-Trip in Progress

Phoenix, AZ

Moves
14 Jun 06

Originally posted by whodey
You cannot mathmatically prove a being which you cannot fully comprehend. This is only common sense. However, there are evidences such as the one I provided that become rather uncomfotable to explain away.
Uhm.. yes... "evidences" such as vague writings which are open to interpretation (both in language and meaning) and both written and "proven" in the same book.

Sorry, doesn't cut it for me, I'm afraid.

-JC

Moves
14 Jun 06
1 edit

11 is a perfectly respectable number of dimensions. other common sugestions include 2, 7, 21, 3, and 4. the point was they can be described mathematicaly. they don't nesecerily represent reality (and the evidently can't all represent reality). experiments are being devised that might be able to detect some of these hypotosised other dimensions. 11 by the way is the number preferred by M theorists.

Edit: and technically it is 'AN 11 dimensional space time'. I know I am the last person to correct other peoples grammer but that one just sounds nasty. apologys if it was a typo.

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
14 Jun 06

Originally posted by whodey
Do you believe that Pluto exists? It is a small dark planet that is largely invisible, no? You do believe it exists as a result of being told it exists by people you respect.
If he was so inclined though, he could go out get a couple of degrees, buy a big telescope and look at it. Not something you can do with god.

B

Moves
15 Jun 06

Originally posted by Conrau K
Do you reject the afterlife?

I suppose if you are a true sceptic you would. But if you just hate religion then there is no necessity to repudiate an afterlife.
What religion doesn't believe in an afterlife of some description?

l

London

Moves
15 Jun 06
1 edit

Originally posted by scottishinnz
If he was so inclined though, he could go out get a couple of degrees, buy a big telescope and look at it. Not something you can do with god.
Actually, you can do the same with God. Go out and get a couple of degrees in philosophy, history and theology.

Alternatively, you can learn to look deep within your own soul.

S

Moves
15 Jun 06

Originally posted by lucifershammer
Actually, you can do the same with God. Go out and get a couple of degrees in philosophy, history and theology.

And if there's no sch thing as a soul? How would one begin such an inquiry?

l

London

Moves
15 Jun 06

Originally posted by Starrman
And if there's no sch thing as a soul? How would one begin such an inquiry?
In the Thomistic sense, the soul is just the essence of the living being. If you exist, then you have an essence. Ergo, you have a soul.

S

Moves
15 Jun 06

In the Thomistic sense, the soul is just the essence of the living being. If you exist, then you have an essence. Ergo, you have a soul.
And what makes you think all people will find god if they look into this notion of a soul?

Cape Town

Moves
15 Jun 06

The big difference being that everyone who buys the telescope agrees on the position and existence of Pluto. No so for people with degrees in philosophy, history and theology. Thier opinions tend to disagree so wildly that what they say can not be taken as an indication of an underlying truth unlike the independant verification for the existance of pluto.

C
Ego-Trip in Progress

Phoenix, AZ

Moves
15 Jun 06

You incorrectly assume a universal result. As twhitehead mentions, everyone will find Pluto - same place, same time.

Those who "look deep within their own souls" are not guaranteed to agree with your perspective. Some will find intrinsic, rather than extrinsic, Truths.

-JC

l

London

Moves
15 Jun 06
1 edit

Originally posted by twhitehead
The big difference being that everyone who buys the telescope agrees on the position and existence of Pluto. No so for people with degrees in philosophy, history and theology. Thier opinions tend to disagree so wildly that what they say can not be taken as an indication of an underlying truth unlike the independant verification for the existance of pluto.
Alright, so maybe people will agree on the existence (?) and position of Pluto. But you'll find disagreement as to whether Pluto is a planet or not. If you get into theories of the origin of the Universe, or what happens within singularities, you will get even more disagreement. Does that mean that the origin of the Universe does not have an underlying truth value?

EDIT: Besides, there's a more basic category error here. You cannot simply apply the methods of science to every single area of human knowing. For instance, do you know if your partner/spouse loves you? How would you prove it?

l

London

Moves
15 Jun 06

Originally posted by Starrman
And what makes you think all people will find god if they look into this notion of a soul?
Because, quite simply, you find something of the artist in his artwork.

C
Ego-Trip in Progress

Phoenix, AZ

Moves
15 Jun 06

Because, quite simply, you find something of the artist in his artwork.
And why shouldn't I find myself as the artist?

-JC

l

London

Moves
15 Jun 06
1 edit

Originally posted by Churlant
And why shouldn't I find myself as the artist?

-JC
Because you didn't create yourself. You can take something that's already there and modify it - but you're not responsible for your existence in the first place.