A question to atheists

A question to atheists

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

w

Moves
14 Jun 06
5 edits

Originally posted by Churlant
Ironic.

Belief in Santa is much like belief in God. We are taught to believe in him. The authority figures around us - immediate family, friends, community - reinforce that faith in Santa. We even get evidence of his existence, once a year, every year.

Eventually we find out there is no real evidence for Santa. Our parents manufacture his visits. Inst dence", we find there is no honest proof for his existence at all. All fraud. Very sad.

-JC
Not so. My analogy fits because as a child you were told that Santa exists, no? You then probably believed this as a result based on others you respect telling you this to be fact. However, it is only later in life as you see lack of evidence of Santa's existence and the fact that your freind begin to tell you that Santa does not exist and the fact the people who told you that he existed don't really seem to believe this, that you begin to question this belief. The belief in God can be similair in that you may have been taught as a child that he exists. However, do to other evidence which seems to contradict his existence such as a parent who does not seem to be "practicing" the beliefs they claim to believe, or your school teaching you about evolution with the implication that God has no part in the scenerio, you may begin to question those beliefs based on these evidences. Conversely, if you have a parent that not only proports to believe in God but also demonstrates that their faith has changed their lives in a meaningful way, this is evidence to contradict the evidence they may see from their nonbelieving friends and secular based education.

Do you believe that Pluto exists? It is a small dark planet that is largely invisible, no? You do believe it exists as a result of being told it exists by people you respect. You may have also been taught the science behind the evidence that you use to believe this fact such as the math used to discover its existence. There is no voice that inserts doubt into the matter as to its existence. However, if someone you respect tells you that it does not exist and shows you the math or science behind their belief as to why it does not exist, you may change your belief as a result.

Just as a side note, I will conceede that convincing your kids that Santa is real is sad. I don't believe in doing so. I think it, in the end, detracts from the credibility of the sources that they came to such a belief in the first place.

C
Ego-Trip in Progress

Phoenix, AZ

Moves
14 Jun 06
2 edits

Originally posted by whodey
Not so. My analogy fits because as a child you were told that Santa exists, no? You then probably believed this as a result based on others you respect telling you this to be fact. However, it is only later in life as you see lack of evidence of Santa's existence and the fact that your freind begin to tell you that Santa does not exist and the fact the peo nce behind their belief as to why it does not exist, you may change your belief as a result.
You have a serious problem understanding the difference between "evidence" and "faith".

Showing me the math behind Pluto's existence is evidence.

Having a parent who practices their religion is not evidence, it is faith.

So find me a mathematical proof of God's existence and we'll be in business.

-JC

w

Moves
14 Jun 06
1 edit

[So find me a mathematical proof of God's existence and we'll be in business.

-JC[/b]
OK, you asked for it. I presented this information on a previous thread.

http://www.preceptaustin.org/daniel_924-27.htm

This web site is about a mathmatical calculation in Daniel 9:24 as to when the Messiah would come. If you read the text, it seems a little obsure and there are those who question the validity of its accuracy. However, rabbi's who calculated the same passage in Daniel wondered why the Messiah delayed in his coming during the time Christ lived and came to the conclusion that it was because of the great sin of Israel. You may not agree with the evidence, but it is evidence none the less.

C
Ego-Trip in Progress

Phoenix, AZ

Moves
14 Jun 06

OK, you asked for it. I presented this information on a previous thread.

http://www.preceptaustin.org/daniel_924-27.htm

This web site is about a mathmatical calculation in Daniel 9:24 as to when the Messiah would come. If you read the text, it seems a little obsure and there are those who question the validity of its accuracy. However, rabbi's who ca ...[text shortened]... he great sin of Israel. You may not agree with the evidence, but it is evidence none the less.
As I've already mentioned, you don't seem to have a valid internal definition for "proof."

-JC

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
14 Jun 06

You have a serious problem understanding the difference between "evidence" and "faith".

Showing me the math behind Pluto's existence is evidence.

Having a parent who practices their religion is not evidence, it is faith.

-JC
Purely physical/mathematical evidence for a transcendent Being? The math doesn’t add up.

C
Ego-Trip in Progress

Phoenix, AZ

Moves
14 Jun 06

Originally posted by Halitose
Purely physical/mathematical evidence for a transcendent Being? The math doesn’t add up.
Why do you insist on placing so many limitations on just about every topic you touch?

I see no reason why there can't be a physical/mathematical proof for God, depending on the definition being used.

-JC

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
14 Jun 06

Why do you insist on placing so many limitations on just about every topic you touch?

I see no reason why there can't be a physical/mathematical proof for God, depending on the definition being used.

-JC
The question is not whether there can be physical/mathematical proof, but rather why there must be such proof. It is not I, but you who have placed the limitation.

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
14 Jun 06

If you insist on finding my comments here tedious, I'll desist from dishing them to you. Would that make you happy?

C
Ego-Trip in Progress

Phoenix, AZ

Moves
14 Jun 06

The question is not whether there can be physical/mathematical proof, but rather why there must be such proof. It is not I, but you who have placed the limitation.
I'm not sure exactly where I said there "must" be such proof. If I did so at some point, I officially take it back.

-JC

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
14 Jun 06

I'm not sure exactly where I said there "must" be such proof. If I did so at some point, I officially take it back.

-JC

What about philosophical "proofs"? What about historical evidence? Tradition? Personal "spiritual" experiences? Surely they should all count for something.

P.S. Retraction accepted. I'm quite sure anybody who is a little more than nominally religious doesn't merely act on blind faith.

w

Moves
14 Jun 06
2 edits

As I've already mentioned, you don't seem to have a valid internal definition for "proof."

-JC
Did I say proof? No, I am talking about evidence. What can you actually prove? Perhaps nothing actually exists? All you have is evidence for things and make conclusions based on this evidence. Let me ask you this if you think it not to be proof, how could such a prophecy come to pass unless foretold by a higher power? You challenged me to find a "mathmatical" evidence and I have provided such. As Halitose rightly points out, there are other "evidences".

C
Ego-Trip in Progress

Phoenix, AZ

Moves
14 Jun 06

What about philosophical "proofs"? What about historical evidence? Tradition? Personal "spiritual" experiences? Surely they should all count for something.
Subjective. Relative. Speculative.

They count, but they don't offer universal proof.

-JC

C
Ego-Trip in Progress

Phoenix, AZ

Moves
14 Jun 06

Did I say proof? No, I am talking about evidence. What can you actually prove? Perhaps nothing actually exists? All you have is evidence for things and make conclusions based on this evidence. Let me ask you this if you think it not to be proof, how could such a prophecy come to pass unless foretold by a higher power? You challenged me to find a "mathma ...[text shortened]... ence and I have provided such. As Halitose rightly points out, there are other "evidences".
I said proof. I said to provide a "mathematical proof" of God, you gave me something else entirely.

-JC

w

Moves
14 Jun 06

I said proof. I said to provide a "mathematical proof" of God, you gave me something else entirely.

-JC
You cannot mathmatically prove a being which you cannot fully comprehend. This is only common sense. However, there are evidences such as the one I provided that become rather uncomfotable to explain away.

Moves
14 Jun 06

we create mathmatical arguments/proofs for things we don't comprehend every day. you can't comprehend an 11 dimensional space time but we can describe it mathematicaly with ease.