A life saved from the madness

A life saved from the madness

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
11 Jun 14

Originally posted by FMF
[b]A similar position faced Jehovah's witnesses in the Nazi concentration camps, they could simply sign a piece of paper and relinquish their faith and gain freedom, thousands went to their death rather than compromise, why do you think that is? Its for the same reason, to do so would be a betrayal of their convictions and principles.

Signing a piece of ...[text shortened]... nature? I see nothing wrong with lying to someone who is threatening to kill you or your family.[/b]
I guess that says a lot, you see nothing wrong with lying.
Kelly

rc

Moves
11 Jun 14
1 edit

Originally posted by FMF
[b]A similar position faced Jehovah's witnesses in the Nazi concentration camps, they could simply sign a piece of paper and relinquish their faith and gain freedom, thousands went to their death rather than compromise, why do you think that is? Its for the same reason, to do so would be a betrayal of their convictions and principles.

Signing a piece of ...[text shortened]... nature? I see nothing wrong with lying to someone who is threatening to kill you or your family.[/b]
your ignorance knows no bounds, it called for a relinquishment of their faith and their convictions. If you knew anything about it, you would know that, please cast your dark shadow upon some other poor unfortunate victim, your darkness cannot overcome what has transpired here.

Attempts were made, with every possible and impossible means, to force them to sign a sworn statement, declaring that they no longer want to be Witnesses, that they will never again resume contact and association with the Witnesses, and that they will no longer read any literature from the Witnesses
Those who do not capitulate and remain unwavering in their faith... were assigned to a punishment company. In the opinion of the SS, the Witnesses were the worst traitors, incorrigible, and the scum of humankind. Even prisoners were incited to threaten recalcitrant Witnesses, in order to instill fear from every possible side.

(Winkler, 1938, I March, p. 13; English quote in Hesse, 2001, p.157)

F

Moves
11 Jun 14

Originally posted by KellyJay
Of course there's nothing wrong with lying to someone threatening to kill you or your family.

Moves
11 Jun 14

Originally posted by KellyJay
Kelly
Hypothetical:

You are a Christian German in the late 1930's early 1940's.

You have Jews hidden in a secret basement.

The SS comes to your door and asks you if you have any Jewish people on the property.

You can:

A) Lie to them, and attempt to keep the Jewish people you are protecting from being rounded
up and taken to concentration camps and/or death camps.

B) Refuse to answer the question, get arrested/tortured and have your house searched.

C) Tell them that yes you have a bunch of Jew's in the basement and you would be happy
to show the SS officer where they are hiding.

Do try to explain how there is something wrong with lying in the above scenario.

F

Moves
11 Jun 14

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
your ignorance knows no bounds, it called for a relinquishment of their faith and their convictions. If you knew anything about it, you would know that, please cast your dark shadow upon some other poor unfortunate victim, your darkness cannot overcome what has transpired here.
Is your Christian faith something so shallow and disposable that simply writing something on a piece of paper could "relinquish" it?

rc

Moves
11 Jun 14

Originally posted by FMF
Is your Christian faith something so shallow and disposable that simply writing something on a piece of paper could "relinquish" it?
As i stated, please cast your dark shadow upon some other poor unfortunate victim of your ignorance. One might have asked Vivia Perpetua the same question, is your faith so shallow that a small piece of incense can relinquish it.

rc

Moves
11 Jun 14
1 edit

Originally posted by googlefudge
Hypothetical:

You are a Christian German in the late 1930's early 1940's.

You have Jews hidden in a secret basement.

The SS comes to your door and asks you if you have any Jewish people on the property.

You can:

A) Lie to them, and attempt to keep the Jewish people you are protecting from being rounded
up and taken to concentration camps ...[text shortened]... hiding.

Do try to explain how there is something wrong with lying in the above scenario.
this is not the same thing, Here you are being asked to take responsibility for the lives of other people which has different implications than when you are solely concerned with that of your own.

F

Moves
11 Jun 14

As i stated, please cast your dark shadow upon some other poor unfortunate victim of your ignorance.
I am responding to your statement about JWs dying in concentration camps. You have attached some sort of meaning to them refusing to lie to Nazis. I'd say dying because you did not want to lie to a murderer would be an unnecessary and meaningless death, other than whatever sense of pride it gave to the person getting murdered ~ that sense of righteousness may well have had 'meaning' for the victim. But I would call it meaningless.

F

Moves
11 Jun 14

this is not the same thing, Here you are being asked to take responsibility for the lives of other people which has different implications than when you are solely concerned with that of your own.
How many people who became victims of the Holocaust could have been saved, sheltered, hidden or helped to escape or leave the country by these "thousands [who] went to their death" because they didn't want to lie to a Nazi?

rc

Moves
11 Jun 14
1 edit

Originally posted by FMF
I am responding to your statement about JWs dying in concentration camps. You have attached some sort of meaning to them refusing to lie to Nazis. I'd say dying because you did not want to lie to a murderer would be an unnecessary and meaningless death, other than whatever sense of pride it gave to the person getting murdered ~ that sense of righteousness may well have had 'meaning' for the victim. But I would call it meaningless.
this is the second time you have responded to me, please spare me, i really have nothing to say to you.

rc

Moves
11 Jun 14

Originally posted by FMF
How many people who became victims of the Holocaust could have been saved, sheltered, hidden or helped to escape or leave the country by these "thousands [who] went to their death" because they didn't want to lie to a Nazi?
Gee wait till i check me records 🙄

F

Moves
11 Jun 14

A similar position faced Jehovah's witnesses in the Nazi concentration camps, they could simply sign a piece of paper and relinquish their faith and gain freedom, thousands went to their death rather than compromise, why do you think that is? Its for the same reason, to do so would be a betrayal of their convictions and principles.
And among those "convictions and principles" is what? ...always be honest in your dealings with people who run Nazi concentration camps?

F

Moves
11 Jun 14
1 edit

Gee wait till i check me records 🙄
More genuine "convictions and principles", as well as courage and compassion ~ and perhaps self-sacrifice ~ were exhibited by those who did whatever they could to help others to survive the Nazi Holocaust.

Moves
11 Jun 14

this is not the same thing, Here you are bing asked to take responsibility for the lives of other people which has different implications than when you are solely concerned with that of your own.
Kelly did not specify any context in his statement, and just spoke of lying in general.

However I can create a scenario to cover your issue.

Hypothetical 2:

You are Jewish.

You are in a bank that gets held up by a gunman who is a neo-nazi white supremacist
and he has just demonstrated that he will kill anyone who will not write down that
they are not-Jewish and sign their name on a piece of paper. [demonstrate by killing
the first person who refused]

It's your turn.

You can:

A) Lie, and write that you are not Jewish on the piece of paper. Sparing any and all
who love and care about you the anguish of your untimely death... plus you get to keep
living.

B) Tell the truth or refuse to answer and get shot in the head.

Now try to explain in a coherent and sensible fashion why someone shouldn't simply lie and
avoid getting killed.

rc

Moves
11 Jun 14

Originally posted by googlefudge
Kelly did not specify any context in his statement, and just spoke of lying in general.

However I can create a scenario to cover your issue.

Hypothetical 2:

You are Jewish.

You are in a bank that gets held up by a gunman who is a neo-nazi white supremacist
and he has just demonstrated that he will kill anyone who will not write down that
...[text shortened]... in a coherent and sensible fashion why someone shouldn't simply lie and
avoid getting killed.
Sorry I cannot speak on behalf of someone who is Jewish, it has no real relevance to me.