A Brute Fact ?

A Brute Fact ?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
05 Jul 16
2 edits

Originally posted by twhitehead
I'll take that as an 'I'm too scared to look in a dictionary because I might learn something'.
Did you even read the post where I quoted vistesd?

Cape Town

Moves
05 Jul 16

Originally posted by Fetchmyjunk
Did you even read the post where I quoted vistesd?
Yes. Have you looked up the dictionary definition yet?

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
05 Jul 16
1 edit

Yes. Have you looked up the dictionary definition yet?
Yes. Would you care to explain the logic behind "neither true nor false" = "not true"?

Cape Town

Moves
05 Jul 16
2 edits

Yes. Would you care to explain the logic behind "neither true nor false" = "not true"?
Would you care to tell us what you found in the dictionary for the meaning of the word 'neither'?
I won't do it for you, because last time I quoted a dictionary for you, you spent the next few weeks trying to pretend you hadn't read half of it.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
05 Jul 16
1 edit

Would you care to tell us what you found in the dictionary for the meaning of the word 'neither'?
I won't do it for you, because last time I quoted a dictionary for you, you spent the next few weeks trying to pretend you hadn't read half of it.
The last time you quoted a dictionary it contradicted what you had said. No dictionary definition has contained the phrase "facts are not true". You just made that part up. And for the past few weeks you have been trying to convince yourself (more than anyone else) that it is true.

Cape Town

Moves
05 Jul 16

The last time you quoted a dictionary it contradicted what you had said.
We have already established that it didn't.

Now, are you going to look up 'neither' or not?

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
05 Jul 16
7 edits

We have already established that it didn't.

Now, are you going to look up 'neither' or not?
Keep telling yourself that. I told you I had. Have you looked up the definition of "false" yet? When you do you will find that it means the same thing as "not true". Then you might figure out that "neither true NOR FALSE" cannot mean the same thing as "not true" since "not true" means "false".

(Then you can watch your victory lap in rewind, and weep.)

Cape Town

Moves
05 Jul 16

Have you looked up the definition of "false" yet?
Yes.

When you do you will find that it means the same thing as "not true".
No, it doesn't.

Then you might figure out that "neither true NOR FALSE" cannot mean the same thing as "not true" since "not true" means "false".
I never said it means the same thing.

Have you looked it up yet? What does 'neither' mean?

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
05 Jul 16
5 edits

Yes.

[b]When you do you will find that it means the same thing as "not true".

No, it doesn't.

Then you might figure out that "neither true NOR FALSE" cannot mean the same thing as "not true" since "not true" means "false".
I never said it means the same thing.

Have you looked it up yet? What does 'neither' mean?[/b]
Definition of false:
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/false

: not real or genuine
: not true or accurate; especially : deliberately untrue : done or said to fool or deceive someone
: based on mistaken ideas
-----------------------------------
Bolded for your convenience. Now you may pack up your things and leave quietly without anyone noticing. (That way you don't have to admit you were wrong. Again.)

PS: If you really want you can look up what 'nor' means.

Cape Town

Moves
05 Jul 16
1 edit

Bolded for your convenience. Now you made pack up your things and leave quietly without anyone noticing.
Now I 'made'? Made what?

As always, your reading comprehension leaves much to be desired. Just because one interpretation of a word is a given phrase, it doesn't make that word mean 'the same as' that phrase.

False means something is not true, but not all not true things are false. I am certain you already know this given that you foolishly want to pretend that something being neither true nor false is not not true, but in this case you are wrong - and you know it, hence your refusal to give a definition for the word 'neither'.

And I note that the famous seekers of truth, sonship and lemon lime have not joined in to explain to you why you are wrong. They only care about the truth if it involves criticising atheists.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
05 Jul 16
4 edits

Now I 'made'? Made what?

As always, your reading comprehension leaves much to be desired. Just because one interpretation of a word is a given phrase, it doesn't make that word mean 'the same as' that phrase.

False means something is not true, but not all not true things are false. I am certain you already know this given that you foolishly want to ...[text shortened]... in to you why you are wrong. They only care about the truth if it involves criticising atheists.
But it can mean the same thing. And you said it does't. So you were wrong. Again. And once again you will not admit it?

Cape Town

Moves
05 Jul 16

But it can mean the same thing. And you said it does't. So you were wrong. Again. And once again you will not admit it?
And once again, you miss the subtleties of the English language.

Moves
05 Jul 16

One of the cupboard doors in my kitchen is not true (it doesn't hang straight and catches when closed). By your reasoning, is my cupboard door also false? (Is it actually a flat hedgehog? )

Hmmm . . .

Moves
05 Jul 16
2 edits

Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
One of the cupboard doors in my kitchen is not true (it doesn't hang straight and catches when closed). By your reasoning, is my cupboard door also false? (Is it actually a flat hedgehog? )
Good example. Do you intend to "true it up"?

EDIT: An excellent example of how meaning, and comprehension, can depend on the "language game" in play. A carpenter would understand perfectly well what you meant, without any parenthetical explanation.

Moves
05 Jul 16

Originally posted by vistesd
Good example. Do you intend to "true it up"?

EDIT: An excellent example of how meaning, and comprehension, can depend on the "language game" in play. A carpenter would understand perfectly well what you meant, without any parenthetical explanation.
Thanks. My example though probably didn't need the hedgehog.