@Suzianne

@Suzianne

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
15 Apr 18
1 edit

Originally posted by @divegeester
Quite a coincidence; no posts from you for 3 or more days and suddenly, within a few politely spaced hours of me mentioning you to Romans1009, lo and behold, here you are...and posting about me and alcohol...just like Romans1009’s little catch phrases.

Your card is well and truly marked sonny.
Undeniable proof right there. You have (me) cornered. 🙄

Moves
15 Apr 18

Quite a coincidence; no posts from you for 3 or more days and suddenly, within a few politely spaced hours of me mentioning you to Romans1009, lo and behold, here you are...and posting about me and alcohol...just like Romans1009’s little catch phrases.

Your card is well and truly marked sonny.
Quite a coincidence that you accuse him of being me whenever he has you under the cosh?

Moves
15 Apr 18

Originally posted by @dj2becker
Quite a coincidence that you accuse him of being me whenever he has you under the cosh?
Where was that? 😵

Moves
15 Apr 18

Undeniable proof right there. You have (me) cornered. 🙄
Your card is well and truly marked Fetchmybecker

Moves
15 Apr 18

Your card is well and truly marked Fetchmybecker
Well at least myself and Romans are now fully aware of how poor your judgement really is.

Sinner

Saved by grace

Moves
15 Apr 18

Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
You quote for example Revelation 20:13-15 (lake of fire) but your argument is self-defeating as you are referencing a part of the bible particularly rife with metaphor and symbolism. Surely you see that?
So because there are metaphors and symbolism then it doesn't mean that there really is a judgment and punishment to come. Or that forever and ever doesn't mean forever and ever. Or that a record isn't being kept of the lives of every man, and that all men will be held accountable for what they did in this life.

Because it's metaphorical and symbolic it doesn't mean what it says and is open to individual interpretation.

What freaks everyone out isn't so much the idea of punishment. What freaks out the unbeliever is the idea of accountability.

Now for you and I the idea of accountability isn't so intimidating, but for the mass murdering rapist thieving lying child molesting filth of this world it is of dire consequence.

But for you and I that worked hard, loved our wives and children and generally did the best we could with our lot, judgement may seem unfair and just a little too harsh.

This is the thing though, the standard is perfection. Unattainable in our present condition. We know we don't measure up to the biblical standard. A change in our condition needs to be made. God provided the way and means. Without any help from us.

Look at the whole of the picture. A short life in a lost and dying world. A chance to live forever in a reality that was originally meant to be. We need a saviour. Bottom line. The only solution to this pernicious drama of life and death placed before us.

We make the right choice now while we live because judgement is sure to come. It would be a greater tragedy if it didn't.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
15 Apr 18
2 edits

Originally posted by @secondson
So because there are metaphors and symbolism then it doesn't mean that there really is a judgment and punishment to come. Or that forever and ever doesn't mean forever and ever. Or that a record isn't being kept of the lives of every man, and that all men will be held accountable for what they did in this life.

Because it's metaphorical and symbolic i ...[text shortened]... now while we live because judgement is sure to come. It would be a greater tragedy if it didn't.
Actually what freaks out normal thinking people is that idea of tormenting someone in fire for ETERNITY. Do you know what eternity is?

Say a man lives 70 yrs and commits the most horrendous acts of evil.. lets say he was like Hitler, Pol Pot, + the sickest child mosester in history, all rolled into one. That is because of 70 yrs of sin and evil God sees it fit to torment this man in eternal fire for zillions and zillions of years. And on and on without end. Normal thinking people know that God will not do that.

What is worse is that for someone to conclude that that doctrine is true they have to ignore all the parts of the bible that speaks of destruction and death for evil doers, and they have to force their thinking past what the Bible says and stick with eternal torment.

Further the worse kind of Christian is the one that goes beyond that and says that all people who are not Christians will experience this fate even children who do not know Christ.

The whole doctrine is sick. It was developed by depraved crooked church leaders, preached by sycophantic fools, and swallowed by morons. You fall somewhere in there as well.

Moves
15 Apr 18

Well at least myself and Romans are now fully aware of how poor your judgement really is.
Well there is that to be grateful for... 🙄

Sinner

Saved by grace

Moves
15 Apr 18

Originally posted by @rajk999
Actually what freaks out normal thinking people is that idea of tormenting someone in fire for ETERNITY. Do you know what eternity is?

Say a man lives 70 yrs and commits the most horrendous acts of evil.. lets say he was like Hitler, Pol Pot, + the sickest child mosester in history, all rolled into one. That is because of 70 yrs of sin and evil God see ...[text shortened]... , preached by sycophantic fools, and swallowed by morons. You fall somewhere in there as well.
I'm sure, since you're so spiritually astute, that you know exactly what eternity is.

You think eternity has to do with the duration of time.

"...they have to force their thinking past what the Bible says..."

Perfect description of you.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
15 Apr 18

I'm sure, since you're so spiritually astute, that you know exactly what eternity is.

You think eternity has to do with the duration of time.

[b]"...they have to force their thinking past what the Bible says..."

Perfect description of you.[/b]
You are very skilled in the art of talking without saying anything.
Common traits of politicians, preachers, insurance salesmen, bankers
... and other crooked occupations.
Keep it up.

Moves
15 Apr 18

Because it's metaphorical and symbolic i ...[text shortened]... now while we live because judgement is sure to come. It would be a greater tragedy if it didn't.
My point is, in a book like Revelation, full of metaphor and symbolism, how do you know what is factual and what is not intended to be taken literally?

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
15 Apr 18

I notice that when so-called Christians don't have anything else to argue about, they bring out the tired old 'eternal torment' debate.

I mean when they're temporarily tired of assuming and judging and telling people what they should do, without feeling the slightest imperative to do it themselves.

Moves
15 Apr 18

Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
My point is, in a book like Revelation, full of metaphor and symbolism, how do you know what is factual and what is not intended to be taken literally?
Good point, but wrt the Bible, whose intentions are we talking about? The putative God’s intentions? The human author? Those who declared it to be part of the Canon? Once we open the door to such questions, uncertainty lurks.

Moves
15 Apr 18

Originally posted by @suzianne
I notice that when so-called Christians don't have anything else to argue about, they bring out the tired old 'eternal torment' debate.

I mean when they're temporarily tired of assuming and judging and telling people what they should do, without feeling the slightest imperative to do it themselves.
I'm sorry to hear you find the 'eternal torment' debate tiresome. Personally, I think eternal torment is a topic you need to debate more not less, in order to come to the realization how incongruous it is to the notion of an all-loving deity.

Moves
15 Apr 18

Where was that? 😵
A better question would be 'where wasn't that?'