2013 Poll: 100 Most Influential Religious...

2013 Poll: 100 Most Influential Religious...

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
04 Jan 13

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
[b]Summary: Jesus Christ (3); Constantine the Great (2); Elvis Presley (2); Seventeen others (1 each) = Total 24

Detail:
Eve; Adam; Satan; Isaac Newton; Galileo Galilei; Archimedes of Syracuse; Jesus Christ (3); Constantine the Great (2); Johann Gutenburg; Saint Paul (2); Saint Gregory; King Henry VIII; Jesus the Christ; The Apostle St. Paul; Con ...[text shortened]... ; Jesus; Elvis; Roy Orbison; Ori; Jacob Hutter; Menno Simons; Jakob Ammann;

(to be continued)[/b]
Your OP was ambiguous ... are we nominating or voting?

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
04 Jan 13

Originally posted by wolfgang59

Your OP was ambiguous ... are we nominating or voting?
2013 Poll: 100 Most Influential Religious People of All Time

"Please post your top three choices from the list given. I'll provide a ranked summary
of our poll's results by page. Comments supporting your nominations are welcome." (OP)

"Nomination is part of the process of selecting a candidate for either
election to an of, or the bestowing of an honor or award." (wiki)

http://www.adherents.com/adh_influ.html

Disambiguous, we're not engaged in some technical debate.
OP simply asks for three choices (or nominations, if you like)
of those most influential in historical, 'religious' impact.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
05 Jan 13

[b]2013 Poll: 100 Most Influential Religious People of All Time

"Please post your top three choices from the list given. I'll provide a ranked summary
of our poll's results by page. Comments supporting your nominations are welcome." (OP)

"Nomination is part of the process of selecting a candidate for either
election to an of, or th ...[text shortened]... inations, if you like)
of those most influential in historical, 'religious' impact.
.[/b]
I dont need definitions from you regarding defintions thank you

But there is a clear difference between asking for nominations and voting.

It is no wonder people cannot understand you.

And for your further education disambiguous is not a word, I assume you
mean unambiguous.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
06 Jan 13

Originally posted by wolfgang59

I dont need definitions from you regarding defintions thank you

But there is a clear difference between asking for nominations and voting.

It is no wonder people cannot understand you.

And for your further education disambiguous is not a word, I assume you
mean unambiguous.
"I dont need definitions from you regarding defintions thank you. But there is a clear difference between asking for nominations and voting. It is no wonder people cannot understand you. And for your further education disambiguous is not a word, I assume you mean unambiguous."

WG, please post your three choices. Others have complied; follow suit. And, yes, I'm well aware of both the spelling and meaning of the curious word you've taken to task. Maybe an Etymology Thread by wolfgang59 in the General Forum would spare this Spirituality Forum Thread from getting itself all hijacked and garbaged up. Thanks for cooperating. Look forward to your picks.

w

Moves
06 Jan 13

Originally posted by Suzianne
[b]2. Constantine the Great - brought Christianity into the mainstream, firmly establishing it as a major religion, and stopped the persecution of Christians in the Roman Empire
Interesting choice. I rather think the opposite. Sure he helped end alot of persecution amongst Christians, but at what cost? Before Constantine Christians were being thrown to the lions. After Constantine supposide Christians were burning people at the stake.

It is rumored that Constantine did not even convert to Christianity until his death bed. By all accounts he used the religion to achieve political goals. Before he came on the scene the religion was relatively blameless in the eyes of the world and was part of it's charm and the reason it spread so rapidly.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
06 Jan 13

Originally posted by whodey
Interesting choice. I rather think the opposite. Sure he helped end alot of persecution amongst Christians, but at what cost? Before Constantine Christians were being thrown to the lions. After Constantine supposide Christians were burning people at the stake.

It is rumored that Constantine did not even convert to Christianity until his death bed. By ...[text shortened]... meless in the eyes of the world and was part of it's charm and the reason it spread so rapidly.
You may have a good point.

I'm going to research this further.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
06 Jan 13

And, yes, I'm well aware of both the spelling and meaning of the curious word you've taken to task. Maybe an Etymology Thread ...
Congratulations on being aware of the spelling of a word you have invented!

Try looking up the meaning of etymology too as you seem to have used that out of context.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
06 Jan 13
4 edits

"Disambiguation in Wikipedia is the process of resolving the conflicts that arise when a single term is ambiguous—when it refers to more than one topic covered by Wikipedia articles. For example, the word "Mercury" can refer to an element, a planet, a Roman god, and many other things. There are three important aspects to disambiguation." (wiki)

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
06 Jan 13

"Disambiguation in Wikipedia is the process of resolving the conflicts that arise when a single term is ambiguous—when it refers to more than one topic covered by Wikipedia articles. For example, the word "Mercury" can refer to an element, a planet, a Roman god, and many other things. There are three important aspects to disambiguation." (wiki)
Disambiguation?
I am fully aware of that word and its meaning.

The "word" you used was disambiguous.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
06 Jan 13

Summary: Jesus Christ (4); the Apostle Paul (3); Constantine the Great (2); Elvis Presley (2); = (11) plus twenty three others (1 each) = Total (34);

Detail:
Eve; Adam; Satan; Isaac Newton; Galileo Galilei; Archimedes of Syracuse; Jesus Christ; Constantine the Great; Johann Gutenburg; Saint Paul; Saint Gregory; King Henry VIII; Jesus the Christ; The Apostle St. Paul; Constantine the Great; Elvis Presley; Buddha; Lao Tsu; Jesus; Elvis; Roy Orbison; Ori; Jacob Hutter; Menno Simons; Jakob Ammann; Frank Durocher; Jesus; Paul; Jesus Christ; The Apostles; Church Age Pastors; R J Hinds; Dasa; robbie carrobie;

Planet Rain

Moves
07 Jan 13

How the hell did the thread go this far without mention of Martin Luther?

j

Dublin Ireland

Moves
07 Jan 13

Originally posted by Soothfast
How the hell did the thread go this far without mention of Martin Luther?
The way this is going, Lex Luther would make the list before Martin Luther.

Earlier on I expressed surprise that Issac Newton charted ahead of Jesus.

w

Moves
10 Jan 13

Originally posted by johnnylongwoody
The way this is going, Lex Luther would make the list before Martin Luther.

Earlier on I expressed surprise that Issac Newton charted ahead of Jesus.
Sadly, I'm not. 😞