This silly situation again

This silly situation again

Site Ideas

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
30 Mar 10
1 edit

Game 25344

This should be immediately ruled a draw by the server. There is obviously no mating material.

As it stands, my opponent had to play ...Kb7 and hit 'claim draw' just to get the draw recognized.

It is not practical to code every such position, but how about the most common three:

King vs. King
K/B vs. K
K/N vs. K

Any position with exactly this material should immediately be ruled a draw by the server.

a

THORNINYOURSIDE

Moves
30 Mar 10

Originally posted by SwissGambit
Game 25344

This should be immediately ruled a draw by the server. There is obviously no mating material.

As it stands, my opponent had to play ...Kb7 and hit 'claim draw' just to get the draw recognized.

It is not practical to code every such position, but how about the most common three:

King vs. King
K/B vs. K
K/N vs. K

Any position with exactly this material should immediately be ruled a draw by the server.
Game doesn't show.

However as there is always the possibility of a timeout win/loss it is unlikely that the current situation will be changed. The situation doesn't arise often enough.

I am not staying I disagree, just that it may be more work than we think for something that maybe only occurs in 0.005% of games played.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
30 Mar 10

Game 25344

King vs. King
K/B vs. K
K/N vs. K

Is it a major problem for either of the two players to hit the "claim draw" button?

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
30 Mar 10

Originally posted by adramforall
Game doesn't show.

However as there is always the possibility of a timeout win/loss it is unlikely that the current situation will be changed. The situation doesn't arise often enough.

I am not staying I disagree, just that it may be more work than we think for something that maybe only occurs in 0.005% of games played.
Oops; try this one.

Game 7285649

There should not be the possibility of a timeout win or loss from a position that cannot possibly be won or lost on the board, even with the most unskilled play. [This is also a FIDE rule.]

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
30 Mar 10

Originally posted by no1marauder
Is it a major problem for either of the two players to hit the "claim draw" button?
No; but I'd still like to see RHP follow suit on FIDE rules. This is an easy change to implement. Let's not have timeout losses in games where there is no mating material.

Already mated

Omaha, Nebraska, USA

Moves
30 Mar 10

Highly recommend an RHP automatic draw for any game with insufficient material to mate, as stated in the opening thread. KvK, Kv K & N, Kv K& B

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
30 Mar 10

Originally posted by coquette
Highly recommend an RHP automatic draw for any game with insufficient material to mate, as stated in the opening thread. KvK, Kv K & N, Kv K& B
Are there any (ANY) situations where a Kv K & N, Kv K& B can stumble into a mate?

P-

o
Art is hard

Moves
30 Mar 10

Originally posted by Phlabibit
Are there any (ANY) situations where a Kv K & N, Kv K& B can stumble into a mate?

P-
No. B+N and B+B are winning. N+N only if the opponent cooperates. If in any situation a pawn is present, then there is a strong possibility the result is not a draw.

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
30 Mar 10

Originally posted by orion25
No. B+N and B+B are winning. N+N only if the opponent cooperates. If in any situation a pawn is present, then there is a strong possibility the result is not a draw.
Ah, I thought there a situation where a Night could mate if the other guy 'cooperates' as you say.

Same for Bishop, no mate when all alone with king?

I had a guy drag an opposite color bishop game out. I messaged offer draw, he just went on. I offered again (not bothering, just 'saying' "it's a draw, offer when you realize).

Finally after 30 moves he realized neither of us would win and offered a draw.

P-

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
30 Mar 10

Originally posted by Phlabibit

P-
No, there are none.

To demonstrate, try just placing the pieces on the board to form a checkmate. Even with the lone King stuck in the corner, there is always one free square:

Proof: No matter where he is on the board, the black King always has at least a 2x2 square to move around in.

The white King is capable of guarding two adjacent squares on the same rank [or file], but a Knight and Bishop can't. Thus, checkmate is impossible.

Already mated

Omaha, Nebraska, USA

Moves
01 Apr 10

No, there are none.

To demonstrate, try just placing the pieces on the board to form a checkmate. Even with the lone King stuck in the corner, there is always one free square:

[fen]k7/8/K1B5/8/8/8/8/8[/fen]

[fen]k7/8/KN6/8/8/8/8/8[/fen]

Proof: No matter where he is on the board, the black King always has at least a 2x2 square to move around i ...[text shortened]... uares on the same rank [or file], but a Knight and Bishop can't. Thus, checkmate is impossible.
Oh oh, I think I see a board with four black Kings on it. I'm suspecting an illegal position! Have fertility drugs arrived in chess?

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
01 Apr 10

Rec'd.

F

Moves
01 Apr 10
2 edits

No, there are none.

[fen]kk6/kk6/8/8/8/8/8/8[/fen] The last diagram with four kings...

The white King is capable of guarding two adjacent squares on the same rank [or file], but a Knight and Bishop can't. Thus, checkmate is impossible.
I see the draw, I see the draw !!!

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
03 Apr 10

Game 25344

King vs. King
K/B vs. K
K/N vs. K

Of course.