The beta board code is complete!

The beta board code is complete!

Site Ideas

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RHP Code Monkey

RHP HQ

Moves
07 Feb 06

Originally posted by Nordlys
Nice! Maybe the different board colour choices will also solve the problem for those who had trouble seeing the green squares under some circumstances?

Edit: Is it intentional that some sets have the same size on the standard and on the large board? They look a bit lost on the large squares.
I have tweaked both the colour and the opaqueness of the selection tiles in yet another attempt to solve this problem. I saw Chris' laptop today which also appeared to have problems with colour range, and therefore it was hard to distinguish between the tiles. So at least I have seen the problem first hand now.

-Russ

m
Moo

UK

Moves
07 Feb 06

The new board styles seem to be working ok so far, with the errors fixed.

The one thing I would suggest is regarding the usability of the menu. I think in today's high-paced world I expect to see the change happen when I move the pull down menu - an autosubmit if you would - rather than when I press "update". I've been there a few times now and changed the board colour or chess set and thought "ooo, nothing's happened", before remembering that you must press "update".

I guess the problem is that for each person that prefers it one way there's as many people who prefer the other.

RHP Code Monkey

RHP HQ

Moves
07 Feb 06

Originally posted by mrmist
The new board styles seem to be working ok so far, with the errors fixed.

The one thing I would suggest is regarding the usability of the menu. I think in today's high-paced world I expect to see the change happen when I move the pull down menu - an autosubmit if you would - rather than when I press "update". I've been there a few times now and changed t ...[text shortened]... t for each person that prefers it one way there's as many people who prefer the other.
I agree in part, because even I have done the same in testing, but seeing as this form is something most people will only use a few times in their RHP life, I decided to keep it consistent with the site behaviour elsewhere.

-Russ

m
Moo

UK

Moves
07 Feb 06

Originally posted by Russ
most people will only use a few times in their RHP life, I decided to keep it consistent with the site behaviour elsewhere.

-Russ
True.

One other thing - there is a link from each game into the board style, but, once you've changed it, there's no obvious route "back" into the game you were just playing. You can use the back button (twice I guess), but you'd have to reload to see the board style change.

N

The sky

Moves
07 Feb 06

I agree in part, because even I have done the same in testing, but seeing as this form is something most people will only use a few times in their RHP life, I decided to keep it consistent with the site behaviour elsewhere.

-Russ
Speaking of changing the board settings, in the old version you could see the different styles (well, at least the knight); now you have to update your options to get any idea what kind of set you will get. Since the pieces probably can't be included in a drop-down menu, maybe they could be listed separately? There could even be a separate page showing all boards and sets.

m
Moo

UK

Moves
07 Feb 06

Originally posted by Nordlys
Speaking of changing the board settings, in the old version you could see the different styles (well, at least the knight); now you have to update your options to get any idea what kind of set you will get. Since the pieces probably can't be included in a drop-down menu, maybe they could be listed separately? There could even be a separate page showing all boards and sets.
You know, I think that's probably why I noticed having to press "update" more.

a

Moves
07 Feb 06

Russ, I'd love to do some testing. I promise to submit clear, unambiguous bugs...

(I'm a Java developer stuck with some goofy QAs).

r
petting the cat

On Clique Beach

Moves
07 Feb 06

My sister said she isn't getting move notifications from my moves any more. Is that a function of being on the beta site, or did I happen to move at a time when the notifications weren't working? I have mine turned off, so it's not something I'd notice myself.

b
Cheesy

Home

Moves
07 Feb 06

I have tweaked both the colour and the opaqueness of the selection tiles in yet another attempt to solve this problem. I saw Chris' laptop today which also appeared to have problems with colour range, and therefore it was hard to distinguish between the tiles. So at least I have seen the problem first hand now.

-Russ
I can see clearly now.
Tried with several board styles, and all have visable move icons,
Thanks

b
Cheesy

Home

Moves
07 Feb 06

Just an idea, for the future maybe...

I think it would be nice if when a piece was captured that square is a different color than green. So the board would display maybe a red square where the piece was captured. It is not really necessary, but handy.

r
petting the cat

On Clique Beach

Moves
08 Feb 06

I love the new board and piece options!

C
Oro!

Fear The Cow

Moves
08 Feb 06

The board styles rock....

Blue day looks a lot like purple? Could just be my flatscreen not sure.

The marble tile is great....

K
Happier Now!!

Home!!

Moves
08 Feb 06
2 edits

Personal favorite thus far for me is the maya on the chrome plate. Very smooth look.

EDIT: man I to tired to type

RHP Code Monkey

RHP HQ

Moves
08 Feb 06

Originally posted by KJCavalier
Personal favorite thus far for me is the maya on the chrome plate. Very smooth look.

EDIT: man I to tired to type
I hope that is enough options for all tastes.

For me it has to be brushed steel and khaki green. 🙂

-Russ

RHP Code Monkey

RHP HQ

Moves
08 Feb 06

Originally posted by ajhuntsman
Russ, I'd love to do some testing. I promise to submit clear, unambiguous bugs...

(I'm a Java developer stuck with some goofy QAs).
Thanks for the offer. I will message your over the next few days.

-Russ