non subscribers non forum

non subscribers non forum

Site Ideas

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
05 Apr 06

Originally posted by XanthosNZ
It would work better if there was even a decent chance that a mod would be around when the spamming starts.
At one point JoniG had the last post in the entire first page of General and the posts were over around 4 minutes. Just bunches of copy pasted text.

Even if he does get a decent forum ban for it, the forum was still badly disrupted.

The same ...[text shortened]... they hang around for hours sometimes and by the time they are removed the damage has been done.
The site ought to have some limits on how many threads can be started and how many posts can be made. For example, no poster should be allowed to create more than 10 threads per day per forum. No poster should be allowed to make more than 10 posts back-to-back in a thread. If legitimate posters are incovenienced by these limits, they could be widened. The idea is to target spammers.

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
05 Apr 06

Originally posted by drdon
I'm not sure why non-subscibers have the same access to forums and as scribers
For starters, we could teach you how to spell...

DS

Moves
05 Apr 06

If non-subscribers were disallowed from the forums, I know several who would leave.

X
Cancerous Bus Crash

p^2.sin(phi)

Moves
06 Apr 06

Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
The site ought to have some limits on how many threads can be started and how many posts can be made. For example, no poster should be allowed to create more than 10 threads per day per forum. No poster should be allowed to make more than 10 posts back-to-back in a thread. If legitimate posters are incovenienced by these limits, they could be widened. The idea is to target spammers.
I'd say there must be say 30 seconds between any posts a person makes in the public forums (that includes ones in seperate threads and even seperate forums) to help stop spamming.
As for 10 and 10 on threads per day and back to back posts I'd be willing to see those lower (perhaps not the second one until max post length is extended).
Would you feel that limiting non-subscribers to a slightly greater degree than subscribers would be fair? I'm still thinking of restrictions 99% of legitimate posters would never notice but you will admit that many of the most prolific spam attacks come from newly registered (or re-registered) non-subs.

The Rude©

who knows?

Moves
06 Apr 06

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
If non-subscribers were disallowed from the forums, I know several who would leave.
Then what's the problem? 😀

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
06 Apr 06

I'd say there must be say 30 seconds between any posts a person makes in the public forums (that includes ones in seperate threads and even seperate forums) to help stop spamming.
As for 10 and 10 on threads per day and back to back posts I'd be willing to see those lower (perhaps not the second one until max post length is extended).
Would you feel tha ...[text shortened]... any of the most prolific spam attacks come from newly registered (or re-registered) non-subs.
Well, as long as the restrictions aren't going to hamper legitimate posters, any difference in restrictions for non-subs vs. subs would probably be too small to notice.

It does make sense to have stricter spam control for very new members. This weeds out most of the people who want to create accounts for the sole purpose of spamming.

DS

Moves
07 Apr 06
2 edits

Originally posted by Ravello
Then what's the problem? 😀
No problem - just stating a fact.

1 Hundred chess moves - 1 forum post. [per day or week or whatever]
2 Hundred chess moves - 2 forum posts.
And so on and on....

This would prevent new accounts being made for the sole purpose of spamming.

X
Cancerous Bus Crash

p^2.sin(phi)

Moves
07 Apr 06
1 edit

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
No problem - just stating a fact.

1 Hundred chess moves - 1 forum post. [per day or week or whatever]
2 Hundred chess moves - 2 forum posts.
And so on and on....

This would prevent new accounts being made for the sole purpose of spamming.
But I'd only have 182 posts a day! That's inhumane.

DS

Moves
07 Apr 06

But I'd only have 182 posts a day! That's inhumane.
Well it's assumed that once a person reaches around 1000 moves [hence 10 posts per day] they will have learned not to spam, and restrictions would end for them.....until or if they are banned for spamming when they would have to start over.

C

Earth Prime

Moves
08 Apr 06

XanthosNZ for forum mod.

L

The Untouchables;)

Moves
08 Apr 06

It would work better if there was even a decent chance that a mod would be around when the spamming starts.
At one point JoniG had the last post in the entire first page of General and the posts were over around 4 minutes. Just bunches of copy pasted text.

Even if he does get a decent forum ban for it, the forum was still badly disrupted.

The same ...[text shortened]... they hang around for hours sometimes and by the time they are removed the damage has been done.
However, you are not being objective now about JoniG now.

I witnessed the whole thing.

He's mentally ill, that for fact but;

''JoniG started to spam copy texted messages after some subscribers spammed the thread''.

So; all this created by both sides. Both sides has faults. There's definately provacation factor too.

You cannot take one fool's mistake and make that a general guideline for all non-subscribers.

I agree with you about the cheating accusations, they are permanent.

X
Cancerous Bus Crash

p^2.sin(phi)

Moves
08 Apr 06

Originally posted by LazyKnight

''JoniG started to spam copy texted messages after some subscribers spammed the thread''.
No actually JoniG started his copy paste spamming about a week before any intimidation started.

L

The Untouchables;)

Moves
08 Apr 06

No actually JoniG started his copy paste spamming about a week before any intimidation started.
Ah, I see. I did not follow the whole thing. What's the whole JoniG story?

Where does this intimidation come from? It just happened?

But still no matter what;

We're not in school. You cannot have thought control over RHP forums. That's barbaric.

If he's saying he's mentally ill and he's making up things as he goes; then what's the point in engaging in that cheap argument?

If everybody ignored him, nothing would take place in the first place.

X
Cancerous Bus Crash

p^2.sin(phi)

Moves
08 Apr 06

Originally posted by LazyKnight
Ah, I see. I did not follow the whole thing. What's the whole JoniG story?

Where does this intimidation come from? It just happened?

But still no matter what;

We're not in school. You cannot have thought control over RHP forums. That's barbaric.

If he's saying he's mentally ill and he's making up things as he goes; then what's the point in eng ...[text shortened]... cheap argument?

If everybody ignored him, nothing would take place in the first place.
I knew I should have taken a screenshot when he had the last post in every single thread on the first page of the General forum.

L

The Untouchables;)

Moves
08 Apr 06

I knew I should have taken a screenshot when he had the last post in every single thread on the first page of the General forum.
Yes.