no title

no title

Site Ideas

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Here

Moves
01 May 18

Why not have a vacation system that actually stops the play clock when you are away ?

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
02 May 18

Originally posted by @padger
Why not have a vacation system that actually stops the play clock when you are away ?
Please expand your idea fully.

A few things:

* Some people do use the "vacation" system to actually cheat in timebank only tournaments. Playing while being protected while their opponent isn't.
* "vacation" is an add on to timebank. We could do away with either if we wanted to. But if you want that you should specify it.
* Should the player on vacation be able to move thus brining the game forward or should the game be parked until the vacation run off?

I personnally would change the vacation by showing the duration of the actual booked vacation days.

Dave

S.Yorks.England

Moves
02 May 18

So I'm on vacation in the Caribbean somewhere intending to lay on a beach for a fortnight so I book my vacation.
I than wake up one day to be told it's going to rain all day
Because my vacation flag is up and I can't cancel it for that day,I can't sit in the lobby and play chess on my fancy phone because the play clock is frozen.
isn't this a retrograde step?

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
03 May 18

What’s wrong with it the way it is?

Australia

Moves
03 May 18

Really, just the timebank-only tournaments. Do something with them and there won't be so many complaints any more.

Moves
03 May 18

Originally posted by @ponderable

A few things:

* Some people do use the "vacation" system to actually cheat in timebank only tournaments. Playing while being protected while their opponent isn't.
* "vacation" is an add on to timebank. We could do away with either if we wanted to. But if you want that you should specify it.
* Should the player on va ...[text shortened]... ersonnally would change the vacation by showing the duration of the actual booked vacation days.
I'd suggest one change: as soon as you make one move in any game, your vacation is automatically turned off, and can't be turned on again until next day.

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
03 May 18

Originally posted by @shallow-blue
I'd suggest one change: as soon as you make one move in any game, your vacation is automatically turned off, and can't be turned on again until next day.
If you have some dozen games running it is the death Penalty for some of those πŸ™

Here

Moves
03 May 18

A few things:

* Should the player on va ...[text shortened]... ersonnally would change the vacation by showing the duration of the actual booked vacation days.
I know some people have been accused of using the vacation system to post pone the loss of games but it gets there in the end anyway
I have just been on holiday and found that to save games ( mainly one day no time bank ) i had to try and find some where to get a connection
This in some places took up to two hours a day and I just gave up in the end
On other sites the play clock just stops why not here ?

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
04 May 18

On other sites the play clock just stops why not here ?
Because here the approach is different.
That's the simple answer.

Since people are not happy with the status quo we need a different strategy.
So what is the suggestion?

* Do away with timebank altogether and stop watches while vacation is on
* Keep timebank and stop watches when vacation is on
* Allow moves during vacation
* Don't allow moves during vacation?

* Limit number of games so that players can still manage theirs without having to Resort to vacation to save them the timeouts?

All These Options have side effects:
* If we do away with timebank, timebank only tournaments vanish
* If we do away with timebanks and have vacation as boon for subscribers, non-subscribers have a hard time to coordinate their games. (Timebank is the vacation for non-Subs)
* If we just stop clocks during vacation opponents Need to regularly check how things develop.
and on and on and on.

Of course I think if there would be a suggestion, which most of players are happy with Russ could be moved to implement that option. But I can't see it.

Moves
04 May 18

If you have some dozen games running it is the death Penalty for some of those πŸ™
So? Those things can and should be planned.

Here

Moves
04 May 18

You try it
Why have a vacation if you have to spend time during the vacation trying to find some sort of connection
I do not see why time banks should be affected by stopping the game clock

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
04 May 18

I'm not for this because I'd like my opponent to keep moving, even if they're on vacation.

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
05 May 18

If the vacation was lifted imidiately then you have to move on all your games simultamneously since they are not protected.
If you thought about not being able to be on vacation the day following the one you moved it could be done. But that would be overyl compliacted in terms of setting vacation days in my opinion. (you have to reset vacation days each time you move in that time. Right?

Here

Moves
05 May 18

If the vacation was lifted imidiately then you have to move on all your games simultamneously since they are not protected.
If you thought about not being able to be on vacation the day following the one you moved it could be done. But that would be overyl compliacted in terms of setting vacation days in my opinion. (you have to reset vacation days each time you move in that time. Right?
Surely you wouldn't move when you are on vacation
That's the whole idea
You wouldn't have to move which currently you do

Dave

S.Yorks.England

Moves
06 May 18

Surely you wouldn't move when you are on vacation
That's the whole idea
You wouldn't have to move which currently you do
The vacation label is an inaccurate description of the function it serves.
As has been said previously it's a timeout protection flag and it's primary use is for when you think you may be unavailable to make moves and you need to "protect" your games against being timed out.
Suppose you were going into hospital for an operation and you weren't sure when you would be fit enough to make a move again?
You would "protect" your games against being timed out by using the flag.
You have the op. and feel well enough to play on your phone whilst still in hospital so you move in a few games.
I can't see anything wrong in that.
I've suggested to Russ that the flag be re named but unfortunately, I've deleted his reply.
I think he said he would make the function of the vacation flag clearer in "faq" but is not considering renaming it.