min # of moves before allowed to post

min # of moves before allowed to post

Site Ideas

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s

Moves
16 Jul 08
2 edits

Since there are oh so many idiots creating a new account to post idiotic messages in the forums, it might be a good idea to impose a minimum number of moves before one can post.

100, maybe 500?

maybe even 50 will suffice.

p

tinyurl.com/ywohm

Moves
17 Jul 08

Originally posted by schakuhr
Since there are oh so many idiots creating a new account to post idiotic messages in the forums, it might be a good idea to impose a minimum number of moves before one can post.

100, maybe 500?

It's mostly one idiot, but it's still a great idea.

A

Moves
17 Jul 08

Already mated

Omaha, Nebraska, USA

Moves
17 Jul 08

Originally posted by pawnhandler
It's mostly one idiot, but it's still a great idea.
Really? Only one idiot?

R

Moves
17 Jul 08

F

Moves
17 Jul 08

Even if there were a minimum move criterium, that number of moves are easily collectable.

C
Not Aleister

Control room

Moves
17 Jul 08

This has been discussed and subsequently shot down many times before, but I agree.

If a person subscribes he should be allowed to post wherever he likes, but new, non-subscribing users should only be allowed to post in the Help Forum until X number of moves were made.
This person should only be allowed to create 1 thread per day until X number of moves have been completed.

Solve for X....

I also think 50 moves is a good number.

g
Mad Murdock

I forgot

Moves
17 Jul 08

Originally posted by Crowley
This has been discussed and subsequently shot down many times before, but I agree.

If a person subscribes he should be allowed to post wherever he likes, but new, non-subscribing users should only be allowed to post in the Help Forum until X number of moves were made.
This person should only be allowed to create 1 thread per day until X number of moves have been completed.

Solve for X....

I also think 50 moves is a good number.
They can open two accounts, play each other in a few minutes and then post.

RHP Member No.16

Moves
17 Jul 08
1 edit

How about this?

For new non-paying members, make it a combination of a minimum number of moves and also add a waiting period of a few days or weeks before allowing full access to regular forums. Legitimate new members probably will not have a problem with that policy.

or better yet,

Simply ignore the trolls. Just alert the post if it really bothers you, so a moderator can deal with it. If there are no responses to the troll posts, boredom will quickly set in and the author will move on to some other site.

just a couple of thoughts

Moves
17 Jul 08

wotagr8game

tbc

Moves
17 Jul 08

Agree and rec'd

Nearing 250000...!

Moves
17 Jul 08

100, maybe 500?

I think the Hit Squad is a better idea than this. Could be more enjoyable if there is a camera (wo)man nearby with access to YouTube or alike.

p

tinyurl.com/ywohm

Moves
17 Jul 08

Originally posted by coquette
Really? Only one idiot?
Most of the recent flood of posts by newbies with no moves are the same person. It's safe to say he's created maybe 20 names in the past week, proof that one shouldn't let one's meds run out.

Pawny -- sitting in an airport 😕

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
17 Jul 08

100, maybe 500?

There are some chess problem enthusiasts in the puzzles forum that have not moved at all, or made very few moves. They neither spam nor troll. This proposal would unfairly stop them from posting.

The main flaw in the proposal is that RHP is not just a chess site. The various forum categories alone show that. RHP is clearly trying to appeal to a wider audience than just chess players.

L
Stick your hands up

Your bum

Moves
17 Jul 08

I certainly think new players should have posting rights in Help. I had loads of stupid questions to ask when I first joined that were answered really patiently by people like Miss O. I think greenpawn34 has made some very valuable contributions in Chess. I guess similar arguments could be made for Posers. It might be an idea to restrict people's access to General, but only for their own protection.