Checkmate detection in analyze board

Checkmate detection in analyze board

Site Ideas

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nearing 250000...!

Moves
18 Dec 05

I always have the feeling when I am close to checkmating my opponent and when I am making my final move, it will turn out to be not a checkmate yet. I thought of the idea of the analyze board function to be of use to detect a checkmate if you position the pieces around on the board. It will be of use too when I am working through different positions to see which position eventually leads to a checkmate, especially in complicated positions with many pieces.

So, when the new board code is there, can the analyze board function be extended with a checkmate detection? Or is that a bit too much of an aid?

F
9 Edits

London

Moves
18 Dec 05

Originally posted by Aiko
I always have the feeling when I am close to checkmating my opponent and when I am making my final move, it will turn out to be not a checkmate yet. I thought of the idea of the analyze board function to be of use to detect a checkmate if you position the pieces around on the board. It will be of use too when I am working through different positions to see whic ...[text shortened]... lyze board function be extended with a checkmate detection? Or is that a bit too much of an aid?

wotagr8game

tbc

Moves
18 Dec 05

Or is that a bit too much of an aid?
I agree, i'd like to be able to wire fritz into the analyse board and have it make all my moves for me. When the new analyse board is released, could we have this functionality as well please. πŸ™„

N

The sky

Moves
18 Dec 05

Originally posted by marinakatomb
I agree, i'd like to be able to wire fritz into the analyse board and have it make all my moves for me. When the new analyse board is released, could we have this functionality as well please. πŸ™„
Why make it a function of the analyse board? I think you should have the option to just let Fritz make the moves for you. You wouldn't even have to go to the game. Think how much time that would save you!

Nearing 250000...!

Moves
18 Dec 05

Uhm, just the checkmate detection (so it says something like "Oh my sweet Aiko, are you aware it is checkmate with the current positioning?!"πŸ˜‰, not the actually path that leads to the checkmate.

The RudeΒ©

who knows?

Moves
18 Dec 05

I always have the feeling when I am close to checkmating my opponent and when I am making my final move, it will turn out to be not a checkmate yet. I thought of the idea of the analyze board function to be of use to detect a checkmate if you position the pieces around on the board. It will be of use too when I am working through different positions to see whic ...[text shortened]... lyze board function be extended with a checkmate detection? Or is that a bit too much of an aid?
Is this supposed to be an "idea"?

You have to figure out by yourself if it is checkmate,like everyone who plays chess.

d

Moves
18 Dec 05

Analyse board is supposed to substitute for your playing out the moves on a real board. And a real board doesn't tell you when it's checkmate, does it?

(Unless it's an enchanted board.)

Nearing 250000...!

Moves
18 Dec 05

Allright allright, so it is a rubbish idea. (Still I think it is very usefull anyway...)

N

The sky

Moves
18 Dec 05

Allright allright, so it is a rubbish idea. (Still I think it is very usefull anyway...)
Just check before you mate, and everything will be fine. πŸ™‚

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
18 Dec 05

I like it.

I think the analyse board feature should enforce the rules of chess as per other pieces of analysis software, like chesspad.

Its not illegal to use aids like chesspad, so why not get rid of the extra work in having to export the pgn?

D

Ursulakantor

Pittsburgh, PA

Moves
21 Dec 05

I think that it is too much of an aid. A person needs to become sufficiently skilled to
know that a move is or is not checkmate on their own.

This site is essentially a glorified correspondence chess tool. In correspondence chess,
you only have a board. It doesn't tell you whether a move is legal or not, whether it
is check or checkmate, or anything.

The analyze board feature is simply a 'chessboard simulation.' Any addition beyond
that, I feel, will alter the nature of the tool and, thus, the site's aims.

It's not that it is a rubbish idea; it's that the idea is not really concordant with what
this site claims to be. Anyway, it's better not to have a crutch so you can
develop your skills at looking at the board.

Nemesio

f
Quack Quack Quack !

Chesstralia

Moves
21 Dec 05

for people who know how to play chess it does seem innappropriate ...

but ....

rhp can also become a chess teaching site ... in which case tools like this may be very valuable to the complete beginner.

opportunities to castle, and enpassant and mate in 1 could also be shown so that the learner gets to expand their horizons.

RHP Code Monkey

RHP HQ

Moves
21 Dec 05

Although possible, it won't appear on the next release with the new board code.

-Russ

WM

Moves
21 Dec 05

Originally posted by Russ
Although possible, it won't appear on the next release with the new board code.

-Russ
You make it sound like it is a possibility for the future.Pleeeease say it ain't so Mr. giver of hope to those wishing for you to do their thinking for them.πŸ™

TM

Moves
22 Dec 05

I think all this would be really is a time saving feature, you could work out if it is or isn’t checkmate if you put the time in and think but with it you could just enter each position in rapid suggestion not really thinking until a box pops up with the message "checkmate".

And for this reason I am against it.

Although when i play OTB games i miss checkmate often and a friend of mine always points them out after. I think the best way to improve would just be practise and more time spent on moves.