Any update on conditional moves

Any update on conditional moves

Site Ideas

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RHP Code Monkey

RHP HQ

Moves
21 Aug 07

Originally posted by Nordlys
That's actually not true. I have just come home and haven't made any moves yet, but a conditional move has been played, and the green dot is showing.
LOL! Now that is a problem I overlooked....and a very, very annoying one too.

-Russ

Nearing 250000...!

Moves
21 Aug 07

I cannot recall having read this suggestion already; I think it is quite an addition to actually see wich games on the My Games page are in conditional move. Can't it say something like "Opponent's Move (Conditional)" on the page under Action?

Moves
22 Aug 07

I had a conditional moved queued (which resulted in checkmate). My opponent sent a message on his last move. The PM came through and the moves and checkmate occurred without any problems. Very nice PM by the way, with a link to the game and everything.

k

Moves
22 Aug 07

Originally posted by Russ
a very, very annoying one too.

-Russ
That's why I asked.

RHP Code Monkey

RHP HQ

Moves
22 Aug 07

Originally posted by kenan
That's why I asked.
I was referring to the headache required to 'fix' it. But yes, annoying for everyone else too.

-Russ

N

The sky

Moves
22 Aug 07

Originally posted by Russ
I was referring to the headache required to 'fix' it. But yes, annoying for everyone else too.

-Russ
I see why it's annoying for you, but I don't really see why it's annoying for everyone else. The green dot also appears if someone pops in to make one move and then goes offline again. Now it can appear when you haven't been online at all, but is it really that much of a difference?

N

The sky

Moves
22 Aug 07

I think it would be nice to get a message when a conditional move has been played (this should probably be optional though). At the moment that only happens if your opponent has left you a message.

Nearing 250000...!

Moves
22 Aug 07
1 edit

I guess I am dumb and / or a bad interaction designer, but I cannot seem to get this functionality to work properly. This alone will get it a bad grade from me. The first one of this site.

It said it saved my conditional move, but then when my opponent actually makes the move I predicted (hooray!), I have to make a conventional move again. Boo.

k

Moves
22 Aug 07

Originally posted by Nordlys
I see why it's annoying for you, but I don't really see why it's annoying for everyone else. The green dot also appears if someone pops in to make one move and then goes offline again. Now it can appear when you haven't been online at all, but is it really that much of a difference?
Well, it can be annoying to some, there are thousands of active players here. It just makes sense that when we are psychically offline the green dot should not appear. Some people may prefer that.

If it is a big deal for Russ, we sure can learn to like it as it is.

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
22 Aug 07

Originally posted by Aiko
I guess I am dumb and / or a bad interaction designer, but I cannot seem to get this functionality to work properly. This alone will get it a bad grade from me. The first one of this site.

It said it saved my conditional move, but then when my opponent actually makes the move I predicted (hooray!), I have to make a conventional move again. Boo.
Did you give it 10 minutes to make the automatic move? Seems too long to me, but that's waht Russ said.

D

RHP Code Monkey

RHP HQ

Moves
23 Aug 07

And did you record the condition before your opponent moved? If your opponent was active at the time, this might be what happened.

-Russ

RHP Code Monkey

RHP HQ

Moves
23 Aug 07

Originally posted by Ragnorak
Did you give it 10 minutes to make the automatic move? Seems too long to me, but that's waht Russ said.

D
That 10 minute figure will be tweaked. It all depends on how well used this feature is when it goes live. And until go live date, everything is provisional...

-Russ

ook

hirsute rooster

Moves
25 Aug 07

Futher thoughts -

There are some situations where instead of 'when this happens, respond this way' you want to say 'when this does not happen respond this way'.

For example - my next move, I can take a piece and win the game. My opponent has exactly ONE valid move to prevent this, but 15 or 20 other perfectly valid moves.
So instead of recording the state of the board to which I respond, I'd like to record the state of the board to which I will not respond - with a given move - and maybe make this optional - there might be cases where I want to move a certain way regardless of the opponents move.

Recording the position is obviously OK - but switching the logic around to allow this would be a headache.
First - it would have to be a 'next move' feature, rather than - 'when the board looks like this' feature as conditional moves are currently - otherwise it might match all the time.
Second there would have to be a whole load of validation that the 'move' you wanted to happen was valid still (the intended move could have been blocked for example, even though the position to be avoided was not reached).

What does anyone think to that?

b
perpetualEditMonkey

Nova Scotia

Moves
25 Aug 07

Originally posted by orangutan

What does anyone think to that?
Well since you asked..

I don't like it. One, it's hard to implement for the reasons you mentioned. Secondly, it encourages people to play bad chess. Whenever your opponent makes an unexpected move, you should stop and ask why did your opponent make that move before continuing.

Nearing 250000...!

Moves
25 Aug 07

Originally posted by bosintang
Whenever your opponent makes an unexpected move, you should stop and ask why did your opponent make that move before continuing.
A very bad thing, indeed. One might learn.