Any update on conditional moves

Any update on conditional moves

Site Ideas

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

T

Moves
14 Sep 07

If we are having consitional moves, I hope they're seriously limited - for example, only one per game.

P

Moves
14 Sep 07

Originally posted by TacticalStrategy
If we are having consitional moves, I hope they're seriously limited - for example, only one per game.
Why would you have such a limitation?

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
14 Sep 07

Originally posted by PsychoPawn
Why would you have such a limitation?
Because he doesn't understand the concept of conditional moves?

D

T

Moves
14 Sep 07

OK guys, humour me here.
Some of the thread comments sound like conditional moves are a "take back", which is bad.
Other comments sound like its an "IF... THEN" command to auto-move based on an expected response.

Can someone clarify?

s

Moves
14 Sep 07
2 edits

a conditional move is when on considering a position, you make a move. You also decide that, IF the opponent plays X, THEN you will play Y. If the opponent plays X, the system plays Y for you, automatically.

Simple, no?

*edit* of course, like vacation flags, it will not apply to everyone, probably.

*edit 2* and tournaments.

ook

hirsute rooster

Moves
14 Sep 07
1 edit

Originally posted by TacticalStrategy
OK guys, humour me here.
Some of the thread comments sound like conditional moves are a "take back", which is bad.
Other comments sound like its an "IF... THEN" command to auto-move based on an expected response.

Can someone clarify?
I don't know about you, but I think* a bit before making a move. The thought process usually tries to work out what likely replies I could expect to my move, and what I should then do in response to that likely reply and then what the response to that reply to my response to the reply could be ... etc

Conditional moves allow you to record that thought process (as a series of "when this happens - then I'd do this in response" moves) and have it implemented when the situation comes up.

It speeds up the 'obvious' bits of games and negates you having to be on line to make those tedious moves that you have already thought through.

*loose description of what goes on in my head

r

Tony, kiss mine!

Moves
23 Sep 07

Originally posted by FabianFnas
[b] GIVE US CONDITIONAL MOVES! PLEASE!

If there is only one answer to my move, then I can foresee his answer, and I have another move in store for him.

The concept of conditional moves makes the games progress more rapidly. An this is exactly what we want.

If CM are implemented in a transparant way, the opponent will not even notice that it was a conditional move.[/b]
question...
will there be a feature allowing us to change our conditional move at any time before our opponent moves?
i.e. let's say we set a conditional move, then we decide that there is a better response if our opponent makes that move, could we change it real quick?

F

Moves
23 Sep 07

Originally posted by rubberjaw30
question...
will there be a feature allowing us to change our conditional move at any time before our opponent moves?
i.e. let's say we set a conditional move, then we decide that there is a better response if our opponent makes that move, could we change it real quick?
You can delete a conditional move if it hasn't been moved already.

t

my island

Moves
28 Sep 07

ok, been using it for a while now, not that often sometimes but still.

haven't found any problems with it other than i don't think a lot a people will use it. i only used it because its new, i wouldn't have the time to 'guess' my opponents move and i wouldn't want to in a lot of games.

T
Mr T

I pity the fool!

Moves
30 Sep 07

I think it would be great to have them, I can think of so many uses for conditional moves.

1.In 1 days games you sometimes get pussies who make one move per day, hoping that you will forget one day and time out. If they made a move and suddenly a conditional move appeared, it would force them to have to play at double the pace.

2. Often when I analyse a position, I have some sort of sensible plan at the time but if my opponent does not move for several days I could come back to the game cold and make some sort of massive blunder - conditional moves would help to cure that aspect as well.

3. It could help quicken games between players in large time zone gaps, where they are not ever going to be online at the same time, they could make more then one move against each other every sitting, rather then one per signing in. Therefore they could finish a game sooner if both wanted to play at a slightly faster pace.

e

Moves
30 Sep 07

I would also love to have this feature. There are several times where my opponent only has one move (in check, can only move one place).

This could save a lot of time.

I hope its made available soon.

Already mated

Omaha, Nebraska, USA

Moves
30 Sep 07

i don't really see the time savings against those who are intentionally lagging games in their losers so that they can pick up a few temporary rating points by winnnig their winners. so, you send a conditional move, they wait as lont as possible and then the conditional move moves and they wait again as long as possible. the only time saved is the time for you to go back to the game and move.

here is the real benefit: i've had winning lines worked out in detail, all the way to mate. then a month later, or sometimes almost two months later, in comes the move and i've forgotten that winning line and make a mistake. the conditional move would at least guarantee the path i've worked out already.

Missouri, USA

Moves
09 Nov 07

Conditional moves, a excellent addition to RHP and I would certainly look forward to thier implementation. RHP any closer to achieving this feature?

e

Moves
09 Nov 07

I've been testing the conditional moves. When they trigger it works great, but it seems to still need some debugging. I'd say 2 out of 3 times it doesnt trigger for some reason and you still have to move manually.

Also, if the player your playing against doesnt make the predicted move, the conditional move never clears. You have to manually delete the old one. If you leave it and create an additional one the new ones never trigger.

Still, I appreciate the work thats being done and really look forward to it being refined. What I like the best about RHP is that they're open to these ideas and are still actively enhancing and evolving the site.

F

Moves
09 Nov 07

Originally posted by erice1
I've been testing the conditional moves. When they trigger it works great, but it seems to still need some debugging. I'd say 2 out of 3 times it doesnt trigger for some reason and you still have to move manually.

Also, if the player your playing against doesnt make the predicted move, the conditional move never clears. You have to manually delete the o ...[text shortened]... P is that they're open to these ideas and are still actively enhancing and evolving the site.
I 've had no problems with conditionanl moves not triggering. But it takes a few minutes to them to trigger. The reason, I think, is that some opponents don't feel confortable that their moves are predictable.

I think it feels great that the game is progressing without even me being logged on. If I made the right predictions, of course.

I really like conditional moves!