2006 Championship

2006 Championship

Site Ideas

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

f
Quack Quack Quack !

Chesstralia

Moves
02 Dec 05
4 edits

how should it be?

Should it be the same as the 2005 championship? Tournament 414

i think there are a few minor improvements ...

give everyone a little extra time ... make it 62 day timebank (it finished 1 month early this year)

make it a sticky thread

start it on january 1st ...

and make the group size slightly smaller ... say group size 10.

so ...

max 950 players, groupsize 10, zero timeout, 62 timebank, three rounds.

and get entries started VERY SOON!

M

Moves
02 Dec 05

Rec'd.

Would like to see this up and running soon, like the ideas you have there. If it is started ASAP then it will give people almost a month to enter.

Moves
03 Dec 05

Originally posted by flexmore
how should it be?

give everyone a little extra time ... make it 62 day timebank (it finished 1 month early this year)

make it a sticky thread

and make the group size slightly smaller ... say group size 1 ...[text shortened]... ze 10, zero timeout, 62 timebank, three rounds.

and get entries started VERY SOON![/b]
I would much prefer a more conventional time setting for the 2006 Championship, such as a 3 day time-out and 14 day timebank. Hopefully, the tournament would still finish within a year, but it wouldn't matter that much if it over-ran a little.

The reason why I don't like the massive 60 day timebank is that some players abuse it. I had an opponent who stopped moving for about a month against me, despite moving regularly against all his other opponents. By the time he resumed playing, I had lost all interest in the game. It's bad enough waiting for a week in a normal tournament game, but a month is ridiculous. Then there are the people who never resign - they just let their timebanks run out...

However I agree with Flexmore that the groups should be smaller. There were too many games in the first round, but usually only one person qualifying for the second round. With smaller groups, far more people would have a chance of qualifying for the later rounds, making the tournament more interesting for everyone.

Jay D

London

Moves
03 Dec 05

Originally posted by David Tebb
I would much prefer a more conventional time setting for the 2006 Championship, such as a 3 day time-out and 14 day timebank. Hopefully, the tournament would still finish within a year, but it wouldn't matter that much if it over-ran a little.

The reason why I don't like the massive 60 day timebank is that some players abuse it. I had an opponent who ...[text shortened]... chance of qualifying for the later rounds, making the tournament more interesting for everyone.
i know what you mean about waiting, but guess thats the thing with varying timeout/timebank..

but do think it should be finished in the year otherwise it might lose its speciality, as when 2007 starts, 2006 wouldnt have finished..

not sure what the mathematical calc is to know what the absolute time is, but im sure someone does...

z
Mouth for war

Burlington, KY

Moves
03 Dec 05

how should it be?

make it a sticky thread

and make the group size slightly smaller ... say group size 1 ...[text shortened]... ze 10, zero timeout, 62 timebank, three rounds.

I think we should have 4 bands of championship tournaments. Say

f
Quack Quack Quack !

Chesstralia

Moves
03 Dec 05
1 edit

Originally posted by David Tebb
i do not believe it would finish in a year ...

it must finish in the year ... a 3 day tournament can last almost forever ... 80 moves, 3 days per move ... 240 days just for one player in one game (in a huge tournament the worst case scenario is relevant)

please leave it as zero timeout .. and just be patient as the rest of us lose our games to you and your peers.

Nearing 250000...!

Moves
03 Dec 05

I think a tournament for 2006 should run in that year, not all through 2007, that's a bit silly. I agree with Flexmore there should be a limit on the time to make sure it finishes on time before the 2007 tournament starts. We don't want the annual big championship tournaments crossing eachother, do we?

M

Moves
03 Dec 05

Yes the '06 championship would be better to finish inside '06.

And I don't think making it banded is a good idea. The purpose is to find the anual RHP champion, which can't happen in a banded tournament.

Was there one in '04? Who won it?

p

Moves
04 Dec 05

Why don't we call it "The fast movers champingnon chips"?
I'm online once a day usually-so I am one of the faster movers of the site. Tebb for example often answers my moves instantly. Even if I would manage to keep up for about 65 moves, *dreams on* I'd get timed out.
The real correspondence world champion chips take years and overlap, but are still called "Correspondece Chess World Chamionship 2003" or similar.
Nonetheless the final group consisted of 4 really good players(Congrats to all 4, especiallyss to Otto), but I'd say 1 reason Akizy didn't play was the 0 day timeout!
So do we want a fast Champion or a real Champion?
If we keep discussing this will never be kicked off.

f
Quack Quack Quack !

Chesstralia

Moves
07 Dec 05

bump

f
Quack Quack Quack !

Chesstralia

Moves
10 Dec 05

how should it be?

make it a sticky thread

bump -diddly ump

f
Quack Quack Quack !

Chesstralia

Moves
13 Dec 05

bump -diddly ump

C

Moves
19 Dec 05

hey mate there no good having a Chamionship if u need then stupid subscribe to join

X
Cancerous Bus Crash

p^2.sin(phi)

Moves
19 Dec 05

Originally posted by ChoasPoowoo
hey mate there no good having a Chamionship if u need then stupid subscribe to join
hey stupid ur stupid.