Why do we dream?

Why do we dream?

Science

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

T
Fast above

Slow Below

Moves
14 Apr 09

Cape Town

Moves
14 Apr 09

It is a side effect of the brains storage and analysis system.

T
Fast above

Slow Below

Moves
14 Apr 09

Originally posted by twhitehead
Really? Are you SURE it's not the other way around~?>

Cape Town

Moves
14 Apr 09

Originally posted by Thequ1ck
Really? Are you SURE it's not the other way around~?>
Yes.

T
Fast above

Slow Below

Moves
14 Apr 09

Yes.
What makes you so sure?

K

Germany

Moves
14 Apr 09

Originally posted by Thequ1ck
What makes you so sure?
Ockham's razor, I guess.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
14 Apr 09

Couldn't much the same be said of consciousness as well?

AH

Moves
14 Apr 09

I tried to search the net for the answer to this but didn’t get very far. But I got this:

http://psychology.about.com/od/statesofconsciousness/p/dream-theories.htm

http://www.coolquiz.com/trivia/explain/docs/dreams.asp

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
14 Apr 09
1 edit

Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
Couldn't much the same be said of consciousness as well?
Maybe, but consciousness is useful in itself. One could say everything that exists is a side effect of the increase in entropy, but that's not very helpful. We are conscious because it helps us survive and thrive and ultimately reproduce. Specifically, maybe it allows us to study ourselves and do things like empathize and understand psychology.

I'm sure a better answer could be given for the dreaming as well, such as it allows the brain to sort, analyze, organize and dispose of information. I don't have any evidence of that...but it seems like a reasonable hypothesis.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
14 Apr 09

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
Maybe, but consciousness is useful in itself.
Surely not. What is the use of isolated consciousness?

Then there are people who claim to have remained conscious while dreaming. And I've read about people capable of eluding sleep and dreams via a 'higher' state of consciousness.

I want a genuine horn and ivory gate set.

m

Moves
15 Apr 09

Originally posted by AThousandYoung

I'm sure a better answer could be given for the dreaming as well, such as it allows the brain to sort, analyze, organize and dispose of information. I don't have any evidence of that...but it seems like a reasonable hypothesis.
It certainly sounds possible that sleep allows us to organize thoughts.

What is going on when we dream about totally wierd things? How does that organize your thoughts or is that something else?

Cape Town

Moves
15 Apr 09

Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
Surely not. What is the use of isolated consciousness?

Then there are people who claim to have remained conscious while dreaming. And I've read about people capable of eluding sleep and dreams via a 'higher' state of consciousness.

I want a genuine horn and ivory gate set.
I am not entirely sure what you mean by 'isolated consciousness'. I am sure that consciousness is entirely necessary for the proper functioning of higher animals and that it is what one might term a primary function rather than a side effect. But I guess it does depend on what way you want to look at it. Dreams to a large extent are one of the brains storage and data analysis systems, what one might call a side effect is our consciousness being aware of those dreams and remembering them after waking up as I do no think that serves any useful purpose and happens infrequently anyway.

r

Moves
22 Apr 09

It is an often used exercise of the brain that takes your memory and recalls everything you've seen into what seems like a movie whether it sis your childhood or anything furhther. your brain also might take your so called imagination and guess your future.

m

Moves
22 Apr 09

Originally posted by rohmel
It is an often used exercise of the brain that takes your memory and recalls everything you've seen into what seems like a movie whether it sis your childhood or anything furhther. your brain also might take your so called imagination and guess your future.
So I had a dream last night that one of my teeth fell out and there was a new one just emerging to take it's place!

So I basically had a third set of teeth coming in!

Does that dream mean that my teeth are far more evolved than the average human teeth?😀

p
Patricia

Moves
23 Apr 09

I dream and remember them every night and almost every night I awake in my dream, realize that I am dreaming (while still asleep and dreaming) then I consciously go and do things that I want/need to see and do. I don't know if that makes any sence, but it is very fun, real and enlightening for me.