1. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    08 Apr '20 00:512 edits
    @metal-brain said
    What about now? The equinox has passed and we have more than 12 hours of light per day now. You need to establish a correlation of UVB and Vitamin D in the spring. You have not done that.
    I do not know the exact, just the basic idea. Vitamin D is part of the puzzle.

It has been demonstrated that Vitamin D has a significant effect on respiratory virus infections.

By the way an earlier story I gave already explained UV b and spring. The University of Oregon link.
  2. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    08 Apr '20 00:59
    http://blogs.oregonstate.edu/linuspaulinginstitute/2016/01/25/sunlight-vitamin-d-winter/ 

A simple test is to look at your shadow. If its the same height or shorter than you, you’re getting enough sun to make vitamin D. If its longer than you, you’re probably not. In most places in the US in the winter, you can probably guess what you’re going to see.
  3. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    08 Apr '20 01:25
    @Metal-Brain

If you have some time, give this a read

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3250425/
  4. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    08 Apr '20 02:40
    @eladar said
    http://blogs.oregonstate.edu/linuspaulinginstitute/2016/01/25/sunlight-vitamin-d-winter/ 

A simple test is to look at your shadow. If its the same height or shorter than you, you’re getting enough sun to make vitamin D. If its longer than you, you’re probably not. In most places in the US in the winter, you can probably guess what you’re going to see.
    That really doesn't tell me much. I live at the 45th parallel. If I go outside on a warm sunny day to do yard work in a T-shirt for a couple of hours am I getting enough UVB for vitamin D conversion?
    The equinox was nearly 3 weeks ago. I should be getting about the same UVB now as I would in early September. The earth is a little closer to the sun this time of year than fall, but it shouldn't make much difference.

I don't doubt vitamin D deficiency is a factor, but I am not convinced it is the main factor. People still get influenza in April. I have noticed I tend to get a runny nose when it is cold and I don't have to be sick for it to happen. Maybe it is something as simple as that.
  5. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    08 Apr '20 03:072 edits
    @Metal-Brain

You should measure your shadow. If it is shorter than you are then you are making vitamin d.

How much of your skin is exposed? How light is your skin color? Are you wearing sun block?

By the way, I believe it is just one factor. Your body takes time to build up vitamin d levels.
  6. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    08 Apr '20 03:17
    @eladar said
    @Metal-Brain

You should measure your shadow. If it is shorter than you are then you are making vitamin d.

How much of your skin is exposed? How light is your skin color? Are you wearing sun block?
    Look, you're overstating the importance of this. The relative risk of not getting ill when taking vitamin D compared with placebo is 1.4 according to the Finnish study I cited on page 2 of this thread. This is a small effect.

If vitamin D was all it took to protect from the virus there wouldn't be a pandemic, it'd just be a matter of getting people to take some vitamins.
  7. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    08 Apr '20 03:201 edit
    @deepthought said
    Look, you're overstating the importance of this. The relative risk of not getting ill when taking vitamin D compared with placebo is 1.4 according to the Finnish study I cited on page 2 of this thread. This is a small effect.

If vitamin D was all it took to protect from the virus there wouldn't be a pandemic, it'd just be a matter of getting people to take some vitamins.
    Were they supplementing with 10k to 30k levels of vitamin d?

No only 400

They were not giving neatly enough vitamin d.
  8. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    08 Apr '20 03:20
    @eladar said
    @Metal-Brain

I'm not going to measure my shadow. That is stupid and unscientific with no regard for accuracy.
    I'm pretty sure I can get enough UVB light this time of year doing yard work. Your theory has holes in it.
  9. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    08 Apr '20 03:301 edit
    @metal-brain said
    I'm not going to measure my shadow. That is stupid and unscientific with no regard for accuracy.
    I'm pretty sure I can get enough UVB light this time of year doing yard work. Your theory has holes in it.
    It has to do with the elevation of the sun in the sky. If the elevation is above 45 degrees then you are getting UVB.

At this time of year if you are outside at noon, then you will be getting UVB. How much skin exposed, your skin color and if you are wearing sun block cream all plays a part.

But if you are pretty sure, I suppose that makes you right.
  10. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    08 Apr '20 03:531 edit
    @Metal-Brain

You do understand it takes time for nutrients/hormones to build up in your body. After a winter of depleting your vitamin d, it will take weeks, perhaps months to get your vitamin d levels back to optimal levels.
  11. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    08 Apr '20 04:08
    Nice UVB map here

https://www.grassrootshealth.net/document/sunshine-calendar/
  12. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    08 Apr '20 07:01
    @eladar said
    @Metal-Brain

You do understand it takes time for nutrients/hormones to build up in your body. After a winter of depleting your vitamin d, it will take weeks, perhaps months to get your vitamin d levels back to optimal levels.
    "it will take weeks, perhaps months to get your vitamin d levels back to optimal levels."

What is your source of information?
  13. Subscribermlb62
    mlb62
    Moves
    08 Apr '20 16:01
    Is it possible to take too much Vitamin D per day? what's the limit?
  14. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    08 Apr '20 17:30
    Considering a half hour around noon during the summer makes about 10 to 20k IU, I would guess that much would be ok.

Most recommendations I see are 5k, but if you weigh more then 10k would likely be fine.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/30611908/
  15. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    08 Apr '20 17:31
    @ogb

If it bothers you, then try 4k IU. Even 1k would help.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree