1. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    01 Apr '20 14:47
    @petewxyz said
    There was an interesting study that made it into the British Medical Journal about five years ago. No surprise that there was no sig dif for groups taking multivitamins vs control in terms of viral illnesses, but (from memory) there was a curious phenomenon that not only did endurance athletes suffer less viral illnesses, but for that group multivitamins had made a further a ...[text shortened]... . Not really my area so I just read it in passing, no idea if it was ever repeated or taken further.
    Any idea what the group sizes were? Humans are chase hunters, so it is plausible that the combination of endurance sport and multivitamins does the trick. Being cynical, one might imagine that there's less point in endurance athletes taking steroids and the actual effect is due to the other athletes immune response being suppressed.
  2. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    06 Apr '20 22:24
    https://www.jabfm.org/content/29/2/226

Research suggests that the impact of vitamin D status on human health is large enough to have played a remarkable role in human evolution. Anthropologists regard human skin color as an evolutionary adaptation to ultraviolet light.3 The theory posits that dark skin is protective against the intense sunlight at the equator but that at other latitudes individuals with lighter skin have the evolutionary advantage of better health. This is because their sunlight-dependent vitamin D concentrations are closer to those of the ancestral, dark-skinned, equatorial population. Thus the geographic intensity of sunlight and its health impact produce the spectrum of human skin colors we see as we move away from the equator.

From a health perspective, this theory implies that health disparities are found in all populations with diverse skin colors.3⇓–5 In areas of intense sunlight, those with lighter skin are disadvantaged. In areas like the United States, those with darker skin have poorer health. Yet the theory also implies that health professionals can readily take action to alleviate these health disparities: sun protection for those with light skin where sunlight is intense, and vitamin D supplements for those with dark skin everywhere else.
  3. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    06 Apr '20 22:43
    http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2010/02/cdc-finds-racial-differences-pandemic-flu-hospitalizations
  4. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    07 Apr '20 00:31
    @eladar said
    http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2010/02/cdc-finds-racial-differences-pandemic-flu-hospitalizations
    What that write up doesn't tell us is whether they adjusted for Social Economic Status (SES).
  5. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    07 Apr '20 00:351 edit
    @deepthought said
    What that write up doesn't tell us is whether they adjusted for Social Economic Status (SES).
    Funny how that is a liberal's automatic go to.

Did you read both posts?

Do you believe higher rates of skin cancer among whites is rooted in socioeconomic differences?
  6. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    07 Apr '20 03:24
    @eladar said
    Funny how that is a liberal's automatic go to.

Did you read both posts?

Do you believe higher rates of skin cancer among whites is rooted in socioeconomic differences?
    No, I only read the second one. For respiratory illnesses SES is likely to be important, poor housing conditions are liable to exacerbate respiratory illnesses. It's plausible it matters for skin cancer rates, although the direction of effect is less predictable, the better off can afford holidays in sunny parts of the world so maybe they get more exposure. Unless they've controlled for it in the data you cannot start drawing conclusions about skin colour, vitamin D and incidence of respiratory illnesses. You have to show that it's not caused by anything else or at least that it dominates over other effects. In fact, since the article in your second post mentions Native Americans it seems unlikely to be due to skin colour. Further, SES is going to affect the likelihood that someone buys or takes vitamins.
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    07 Apr '20 03:40
    @Eladar
    Ultraviolet box like your god king Trump uses to stay orange.
  8. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    07 Apr '20 03:421 edit
    @deepthought said
    No, I only read the second one. For respiratory illnesses SES is likely to be important, poor housing conditions are liable to exacerbate respiratory illnesses. It's plausible it matters for skin cancer rates, although the direction of effect is less predictable, the better off can afford holidays in sunny parts of the world so maybe they get more exposure. Unless they ...[text shortened]... to skin colour. Further, SES is going to affect the likelihood that someone buys or takes vitamins.
    Lol, I am a white guy and I never have the money to holiday. I think people believe all white people are super rich while blacks are dirt poor.

Most people do not supplement vitamin D.
  9. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    07 Apr '20 03:44
    @sonhouse

I thought he uses orange makeup, the fake tan stuff.

Looks like you hyped out about nothing. This is projected to max out in just over a week and be over by early May.
  10. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    07 Apr '20 05:03
    @eladar said
    Lol, I am a white guy and I never have the money to holiday. I think people believe all white people are super rich while blacks are dirt poor.

Most people do not supplement vitamin D.
    Doesn't anyone who drinks milk get vitamin D? Why don't people who are lactose intolerant get sick more often?
  11. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    07 Apr '20 05:082 edits
    @metal-brain said
    Doesn't anyone who drinks milk get vitamin D? Why don't people who are lactose intolerant get sick more often?
    Another study found that 30 minutes of midday summer sun exposure in Oslo, Norway was equivalent to consuming 10,000–20,000 IU of vitamin D

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/vitamin-d-from-sun#time-of-day

You are not going to get 10 to 20k IU of vitamin d from milk. It is more like 100 IU in a cup of milk. Drinking a gallon of milk will give you about 1.6k IU of vitamin d, up for drinking 10 gallons of milk everyday?
  12. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    07 Apr '20 05:22
    A 10k IU vitamin d pill everyday for a year costs about 36 dollars.
  13. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    07 Apr '20 12:15
    @eladar said
    Another study found that 30 minutes of midday summer sun exposure in Oslo, Norway was equivalent to consuming 10,000–20,000 IU of vitamin D

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/vitamin-d-from-sun#time-of-day

You are not going to get 10 to 20k IU of vitamin d from milk. It is more like 100 IU in a cup of milk. Drinking a gallon of milk will give you about 1.6k IU of vitamin d, up for drinking 10 gallons of milk everyday?
    "Another study found that 30 minutes of midday summer sun exposure in Oslo, Norway was equivalent to consuming 10,000–20,000 IU of vitamin D"

What time of year is that?
  14. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    07 Apr '20 12:55
    @metal-brain said
    "Another study found that 30 minutes of midday summer sun exposure in Oslo, Norway was equivalent to consuming 10,000–20,000 IU of vitamin D"

What time of year is that?
    Summer, when winter viruses are nowhere to be seen in the Northern Hemisphere.
  15. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    08 Apr '20 00:09
    @eladar said
    Summer, when winter viruses are nowhere to be seen in the Northern Hemisphere.
    What about now? The equinox has passed and we have more than 12 hours of light per day now. You need to establish a correlation of UVB and Vitamin D in the spring. You have not done that.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree