1. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    08 Apr '20 18:43
    @metal-brain said
    "it will take weeks, perhaps months to get your vitamin d levels back to optimal levels."

What is your source of information?
    “If you have a significant deficiency, the recommended approach currently is to use 50,000 IU of vitamin D once a week for six to eight weeks, then remeasure levels, to try to boost those values back up a little more quickly,” LaSalle said.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.courant.com/prime/hc-fea-prime-vitamin-d-1205-story.html&ved=2ahUKEwjfksjUvNnoAhVRgK0KHflJCVUQFjADegQIDBAK&usg=AOvVaw0QE-FARSBd1zS4AsspN1Dl

That was from a Google search, here is another

For this reason, it's recommended to take vitamin D supplements with a meal to enhance absorption. According to one study in 17 people, taking vitamin D with the largest meal of the day increased vitamin D blood levels by about 50% after just 2–3 months ( 7 ).

Anytime you use supplements the general rule is to wait 3 months to see results.
  2. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    09 Apr '20 11:50
    @eladar said
    “If you have a significant deficiency, the recommended approach currently is to use 50,000 IU of vitamin D once a week for six to eight weeks, then remeasure levels, to try to boost those values back up a little more quickly,” LaSalle said.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.courant.com/prime/hc-fea-prime-vitamin-d-1205-story.html&ved=2ahUKEwjf ...[text shortened]... months ( 7 ).

Anytime you use supplements the general rule is to wait 3 months to see results.
    "Anytime you use supplements the general rule is to wait 3 months to see results."

You have not proven that. You are also talking about supplements, we were talking about sunlight. You digressed into something different.

I don't believe it takes long for sunlight to bring up Vitamin D levels if the light from the sun is direct enough and has a good UVB content. Besides, a lag time would keep D levels higher in September and people still get colds in that month.

Your theory has all sorts of holes in it. Africans are not the only people with dark skin either. East Indians are pretty dark. Are they getting SARS2 at a higher rate? We have all sorts of races here in the USA. If Vitamin D was such an important factor you would see white people getting viruses less often than dark skinned people in general. Until you can show something like that your theory has no traction as you are presenting it.
  3. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    09 Apr '20 14:21
    I am going off what a dictor has said many times on his show. He is a D.O. and has done great research into natural supplements.

You are free to disagree with me. You are free to disagree with doctors and with University experts.
  4. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    09 Apr '20 15:144 edits
    @eladar said
    I am going off what a dictor has said many times on his show. He is a D.O. and has done great research into natural supplements.

You are free to disagree with me. You are free to disagree with doctors and with University experts.
    As I keep telling somebody here, and this is always my attitude, always better to just listen to the experts and the recorded scientific facts rather than form your own layperson opinion independently of the relevant experts and the recorded scientific facts.
    The particular expert you listen to or the science website you look at could be wrong, of course. So it really helps to look at multiple sources just to check to at least make sure you aren't looking at an odd one that goes against the general scientific consensus. But your default assumption should be they are less likely to be wrong than any layperson opinion you form yourself without first listening to and completely taking head to the experts and the recorded scientific facts.
    Amazingly, the are apparently many people that have the exact opposite view; And they seem to be always wrong about most things.
  5. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    09 Apr '20 15:26
    @humy

I have researched his claims. Anyone can do the same.

In general all Americans need to be supplementing fish oil, vitamin D and magnesium.

If you live in the Northern tier of the US, you are getting no vitamin D from the sun during the winter months.
  6. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    09 Apr '20 16:28
    @metal-brain said
    "Anytime you use supplements the general rule is to wait 3 months to see results."

You have not proven that. You are also talking about supplements, we were talking about sunlight. You digressed into something different.

I don't believe it takes long for sunlight to bring up Vitamin D levels if the light from the sun is direct enough and has a good UVB content. Besi ...[text shortened]... eneral. Until you can show something like that your theory has no traction as you are presenting it.
    Are there any numbers for the other races?
  7. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    10 Apr '20 18:16
    It is a little after 1 here, sunbathing in my yard, 20 min should do. Not naked, in shorts. No cops showing up to arrest me yet.
  8. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    11 Apr '20 01:24
    @eladar said

9. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    11 Apr '20 04:291 edit
    @metal-brain said
    Vitamin D is vitamin d if your body produces it or if you take it as a supplement, specifically vitamin d3.

If you are concerned about not getting rickets, then you do not need much vitamin d.

If you want optimal health, which brings a stronger immune system you need much more.
  10. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    12 Apr '20 00:33
    @eladar said
    Vitamin D is vitamin d if your body produces it or if you take it as a supplement, specifically vitamin d3.

If you are concerned about not getting rickets, then you do not need much vitamin d.

If you want optimal health, which brings a stronger immune system you need much more.
    What is your source of information?
  11. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    12 Apr '20 02:20
    @Metal-Brain

I got the info from the Doctor.

You can see the idea echoed here

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/18348447/
  12. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    12 Apr '20 05:38
    @eladar said
    @Metal-Brain

I got the info from the Doctor.

You can see the idea echoed here

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/18348447/
    We can get enough from light this time of year. Your theory is deeply flawed.
  13. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    12 Apr '20 05:471 edit
    @metal-brain said
    We can get enough from light this time of year. Your theory is deeply flawed.
    You asked, I gave you the place to read it.

Yes, our stores are being filled if we are in the sunlight between about 10 and 2.

Black people need 3 times as much time in the sun to make as much d as a white person.

You do not know enough about this topic to make a good judgment.
  14. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    12 Apr '20 07:05
    @eladar said
    You asked, I gave you the place to read it.

Yes, our stores are being filled if we are in the sunlight between about 10 and 2.

Black people need 3 times as much time in the sun to make as much d as a white person.

We can get enough from light this time of year. You have produced absolutely nothing to challenge this.

15. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    12 Apr '20 07:081 edit
    @metal-brain said
    We can get enough from light this time of year. You have produced absolutely nothing to challenge this.

Tell me, what is enough after going through 3 months of making zero vitamin d.

How much is enough?

How much exactly are we making?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree