Vegetarians Less Healthy, Lower Quality Of Life

Vegetarians Less Healthy, Lower Quality Of Life

Science

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E

Moves
07 Apr 14
1 edit

Originally posted by humy
I am saying that if you are an extremist and take meat out of your diet completely, you are putting yourself at risk.

How so? You are talking total crap. What BARRIER is stopping someone NOT ever eating meat and having a balanced diet that does NOT put them “at risk”?
And, given the fact that much of humanity is, either by choice or by no ...[text shortened]... health, in what way would cutting out all meat make someone an “extremest”? -please explain....
Read the links I posted, but perhaps you are too blind to see what they are saying.

h

Moves
07 Apr 14
1 edit

Originally posted by Eladar
Read the links I posted, but perhaps you are too blind to see what they are saying.
I have read your links. I have debunked the http://authoritynutrition.com/5-brain-nutrients-in-meat-fish-eggs/ one and all your claims. See by previous post that debunks http://authoritynutrition.com/5-brain-nutrients-in-meat-fish-eggs/ where I prove it tells lies -or are you to blind to see what both I and all my science links say?

E

Moves
07 Apr 14
2 edits

I have read your links. I have debunked the http://authoritynutrition.com/5-brain-nutrients-in-meat-fish-eggs/ one and all your claims. See by previous post that debunks http://authoritynutrition.com/5-brain-nutrients-in-meat-fish-eggs/ where I prove it tells lies -or are you to blind to see what both I and all my science links say?
Debunked is in the eye of the beholder. A cup that is full see everything new as debunked.

B12 is not the same thing as B2, just saying. I'm sure in your mind it is, so I guess since there are b2 sources from Vegan foods, you believe that you also get b12 from those sources. Nice

h

Moves
07 Apr 14
1 edit

Debunked is in the eye of the beholder. A cup that is full see everything new as debunked.

B12 is not the same thing as B2, just saying. I'm sure in your mind it is, so I guess since there are b2 sources from Vegan foods, you believe that you also get b12 from those sources. Nice
Debunked is in the eye of the beholder.

No, debunked is when something has been demonstrated to be false. Either something has been demonstrated to be false or it hasn't -the eye of the beholder doesn't change that.

you believe that you also get b12 from those sources. Nice

I believe good science.
You can take B12 supplements for vegetarians thus no meat required for B12 intake. Nice.

E

Moves
07 Apr 14

Debunked is in the eye of the beholder.

No, debunked is when something has been demonstrated to be false. Either something has been demonstrated to be false or it hasn't -the eye of the beholder doesn't change that.

you believe that you also get b12 from those sources. Nice

I believe good science.
You can take B12 supplements for vegetarians thus no meat required for B12 intake. Nice.
Yes, you can take b12 supplements. I did not say that you couldn't. I just said that it was something you needed to be careful with. It was just one of many things listed. Yes, you could take supplement those things too, but many come from animals and put into pills.

These are just the things that we are aware.

If people did not supplement, then they would have issues. This may explain the original study.

D
Losing the Thread

Quarantined World

Moves
07 Apr 14

Yes, you can take b12 supplements. I did not say that you couldn't. I just said that it was something you needed to be careful with. It was just one of many things listed. Yes, you could take supplement those things too, but many come from animals and put into pills.

These are just the things that we are aware.

If people did not supplement, then they would have issues. This may explain the original study.
B12 deficiency is unbelievably rare. Anaemia is more likely, and not really that serious unless they're pregnant or something like. Most vegetarians in the U.K. eat dairy products and eggs in any case so both those outcomes are quite unlikely. The major health threat in the Western World is obesity and associated diseases so I find your criticism of vegetarianism on the basis of the Austrian paper odd as among the health advantages listed there is lower B.M.I..

E

Moves
08 Apr 14
1 edit

Originally posted by DeepThought
B12 deficiency is unbelievably rare. Anaemia is more likely, and not really that serious unless they're pregnant or something like. Most vegetarians in the U.K. eat dairy products and eggs in any case so both those outcomes are quite unlikely. The major health threat in the Western World is obesity and associated diseases so I find your criticism of v ...[text shortened]... the basis of the Austrian paper odd as among the health advantages listed there is lower B.M.I..
As long as you are eating eggs and drink milk you are not being vegan, which is what most people consider vegetarians.

If the vegetarians are doing it right, then the study would have come out differently. Evidently there are many uneducated vegetarians who are eating what they believe is a healthy diet and it is making them less healthy.

If you want to look at lowering obesity rates, then look at sugars and grains. These are the things that make us fat, not meat. I lost a lot of weight on the adkins diet, which was nothing but meat. The fat dropped right off.

E

Moves
08 Apr 14

Try reading this about the bmi

http://healthland.time.com/2013/08/26/why-bmi-isnt-the-best-measure-for-weight-or-health/

h

Moves
08 Apr 14
2 edits

As long as you are eating eggs and drink milk you are not being vegan, which is what most people consider vegetarians.

If the vegetarians are doing it right, then the study would have come out differently. Evidently there are many uneducated vegetarians who are eating what they believe is a healthy diet and it is making them less healthy.

If you want ...[text shortened]... lost a lot of weight on the adkins diet, which was nothing but meat. The fat dropped right off.
If you want to look at lowering obesity rates, then look at sugars and grains. These are the things that make us fat, not meat.

It is not “sugars and grains” that causes obesity but rather it is when your total calorie intake is too high. Meat, sugars and grains are all, per given volume, high in calories. If you eat any one of them alone, including just meat alone, in excess of your nutritionally required calorie intake, or if you eat any combination of the three or any high calorie foods or any combination of foods whether they have a high concentration of calories or not but in excess of your nutritionally required calorie intake, you will gain weight and can become obese. Of course, if your total calorie intake is not excessive, none of these food will make you fat whether you eat meat or grain etc.

I for one am and always been skinny and I have been eating a diet with lot of grain and potato for all my life but have never been overweight. It is no one food that causes obesity but rather the total calorie intake that counts.

rc

Moves
08 Apr 14

If you want to look at lowering obesity rates, then look at sugars and grains. These are the things that make us fat, not meat.

It is not “sugars and grains” that causes obesity but rather it is when your total calorie intake is too high. Meat, sugars and grains are all, per given volume, high in calories. If you eat any one of them alone, ...[text shortened]... erweight. It is no one food that causes obesity but rather the total calorie intake that counts.
I for one have always been skinny - Humy

ahhhhhrgh is there no justice!

E

Moves
08 Apr 14
1 edit

It is not “sugars and grains” that causes obesity but rather it is when your total calorie intake is too high. Meat, sugars and grains are all, per given volume, high in calories. If you eat any one of them alone, ...[text shortened]... erweight. It is no one food that causes obesity but rather the total calorie intake that counts.
You might want to read up on the effects of high glycemic foods.

As I said, genetics plays a big part in this. Some bodies can handle high carb loads, while others can't.

You might want to read this thread: http://www.redhotpawn.com/board/showthread.php?subject=Nutrition_and_Grains&threadid=152990

h

Moves
08 Apr 14
3 edits

As I said, genetics plays a big part in this. Some bodies can handle high carb loads, while others can't.

You might want to read this thread: http://www.redhotpawn.com/board/showthread.php?subject=Nutrition_and_Grains&threadid=152990

Why? Must you eat some meat to NOT eat high glycemic foods? 😛
There is plenty of vegetarian foods that are not high glycemic foods, so, your point is....?

E

Moves
08 Apr 14
1 edit

Why? Must you eat some meat to NOT eat high glycemic foods? 😛
There is plenty of vegetarian foods that are not high glycemic foods, so, your point is....?
My point was your mistaken statement about simply all calories. Certain foods cause your body to react and one of the reactions is to stop burning energy. What you eat causes hormonal reactions in your body. High glycemic foods cause negative responses. I was correcting your statement.

Diabetes is something you might be familiar. It is a problem caused by blood sugar. You don't get diabetes from eating meat, but you get it from eating grains and sugar.

Yes, you can avoid high glycemic foods like grains and sugars. Vegetables are a great source of nutrition with low glycemic profiles for the most part.

h

Moves
08 Apr 14
1 edit

My point was your mistaken statement about simply all calories. Certain foods cause your body to react and one of the reactions is to stop burning energy. What you eat causes hormonal reactions in your body. High glycemic foods cause negative responses. I was correcting your statement.

Diabetes is something you might be familiar. It is a problem caused ...[text shortened]... sugars. Vegetables are a great source of nutrition with low glycemic profiles for the most part.
My point was your mistaken statement about simply all calories. Certain foods cause your body to react and one of the reactions is to stop burning energy.

No such food existed -unless you are talking about lethal poison such as cyanide. Cyanide will stop your burning energy. If your body stopped “burning energy”, you will be dead. I think you meant certain foods can reduce, NOT stop, the rate of respiration? If so, I already knew that. So? How does it contradict what I said which is, basically, if you eat too many calories above your bodily energy needs, you can become overweight as a result? If a food reduces the rate of respiration, that simply means the energy needs of your body is reduced and thus my assertion still holds. I never said nor believed calorie intake was the ONLY factor determining weight gain.

Diabetes is something you might be familiar. It is a problem caused by blood sugar. You don't get diabetes from eating meat, but you get it from eating grains and sugar.

Firstly, you generally will not get it from eating grains because it is excess sugar, NOT starch, that is the main risk factor of getting diabetes. A diete rich in starchy food such as grains but low in sugar would generally give you a low risk of diabetes and there is no evidence that adding meat to that would lower that risk further. In fact, study after study has shown that meat can increase the risk of diabetes:

http://harvardmagazine.com/2012/01/a-diabetes-link-to-meat
“...Red-meat consumption is already linked to higher levels of colorectal cancer and cardiovascular disease (atherosclerosis, heart disease, and stroke). Now researchers from Harvard School of Public Health (HSPH) have added an increased risk of type 2 (adult onset) diabetes to that list. ...”

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2501852/Eating-meat-raises-risk-diabetes-eat-lots-fruit-vegetables-too.html
“...Eating too much meat 'raises risk of diabetes' even if they eat lots of fruit and vegetables too
...”

http://www.webmd.com/diabetes/news/20110810/red-meat-processed-meat-linked-to-diabetes-risk
“...The more processed or unprocessed red meat a person eats, the greater the risk, according to a new study in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition.
...”

Note that many other studies have clearly causally linked a high meat diet to high cancer rate.

Thus diabetes is NOT a reason to eat meat and, if anything, a reason to NOT eat meat! Why not simply NOT eat meat AND NOT eat sugar, like I do? I have an extremely low risk of diabetes mainly because of that!

E

Moves
09 Apr 14
1 edit

My point was your mistaken statement about simply all calories. Certain foods cause your body to react and one of the reactions is to stop burning energy.

No such food existed -unless you are talking about lethal poison such as cyanide. Cyanide will stop your burning energy. If your body stopped “burning energy”, you will be dead. I think y ...[text shortened]... t AND NOT eat sugar, like I do? I have an extremely low risk of diabetes mainly because of that!
You are hopeless. You have no desire to be educated, you simply want to feel good about knowing it all.

You have no desire to look at anything that challenges your religious beliefs.

Good luck.