supernatural

supernatural

Science

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cape Town

Moves
08 Dec 16

Originally posted by DeepThought
Nature, in other words particles, fields, and the various effects that supervene on them, is the subject and scope of science.
I disagree. Can you give any explanation as to why science must be so restricted?

By insisting that Science has universal scope you have insisted that there is nothing outside of nature, so no supernature.
Not so. It is your insistence that Science be restricted that is at fault, not my insistence that science has universal scope.

Your position is one of ontological naturalism.
No, that is your incorrect interpretation of my position based on what I believe is a faulty claim about sciences scope.

There's nothing wrong with that particularly, you just have to realize that there's nothing intrinsically irrational about taking a position of dualism, or even some sort of idealist position such as Berkeley's where all that really exists is mind.
Lets suppose that all that really exists is mind. Would science become instantly useless? Really?

Cape Town

Moves
08 Dec 16

Originally posted by humy
But I don't see how my definition of supernatural contradicts or is at odds with that because my definition doesn't imply all such purely metaphysical interpretations of observations must necessarily disobey apparent natural law and my definition would only call those such interpretation as being 'supernatural' as those that do disobey apparent natural l ...[text shortened]... , such a boulder magically floating through a solid brick wall without leaving a hole in it etc.
The problem I see is that if a boulder is observed to float through a solid brick wall without leaving a hole in it then either your observation is at fault or you do not have the correct 'natural law'. Natural law is the law that nature is observed to obey. If nature does not obey it, even in one instance, then it isn't natural law. Natural law is never violated by definition.

E

Moves
08 Dec 16
1 edit

Originally posted by twhitehead
I believe it is the best explanation for what we observe.
I asked if you believe that it is true.

Simple yes or no will do.

h

Moves
08 Dec 16
6 edits

Originally posted by Eladar

"I believe it is the best explanation for what we observe"
generally implies
"I believe it probably/definitely is"
unless the person who is saying it is so irrational as to reject the best explanation for what we observe!
What's your problem?
Lets call that a "yes"; So .... so what of it?
It is a rational belief based on the evidence as opposed to an irrational belief not based on the evidence; what of it?

D
Losing the Thread

Quarantined World

Moves
08 Dec 16

I am not sure but I think I finally getting what you are getting at;
Are you saying there are certain purely metaphysical interpretations of observations that scientific method cannot conclude any definable probability (whether high probability or low probability) of any of those interpretations being true thus they are outside the scope of science?
If so, th ...[text shortened]... , such a boulder magically floating through a solid brick wall without leaving a hole in it etc.
The difficulty is that there is not necessarily any discrepancy with natural laws. In the case of our Christian hearing the Voice of God and assuming the Christian is clinically sane then even with complete knowledge of the electrical activity in their brain (*) and a naturalistic theory which allowed one to interpret the data there is no strong reason to believe that one could rule out supernatural influence on thoughts. So you can't rule out supernatural intervention in events which are, apparently, in accordance with the known Laws of Physics.

(*) I've got something like the neural laces in Iain M Banks' Culture novels in mind here. Perfect knowledge of the brain-state.

D
Losing the Thread

Quarantined World

Moves
08 Dec 16

I disagree. Can you give any explanation as to why science must be so restricted?

[b]By insisting that Science has universal scope you have insisted that there is nothing outside of nature, so no supernature.

Not so. It is your insistence that Science be restricted that is at fault, not my insistence that science has universal scope.

Your p ...[text shortened]... ets suppose that all that really exists is mind. Would science become instantly useless? Really?
How do you intend to do an experiment on something that is not part of nature? It's not called natural science for no reason.

h

Moves
08 Dec 16
2 edits

The difficulty is that there is not necessarily any discrepancy with natural laws. In the case of our Christian hearing the Voice of God and assuming the Christian is clinically sane then even with ...
Hang on; if he assumes there is a God speaking to him then, regardless of how he believes this God is interacting with his mind, he is still assuming a God exists and, presumably, that God is supposed to be 'supernatural' which I take to mean it can disobey natural laws, such as able to float up against gravity to to violate the law of gravity etc. I mean, I presume he wouldn't call it a 'God' at all if it couldn't ever break at least ONE natural law we observe around us, right? Else this 'God' would be just a material thing because it would be subject to exactly the same constraints of other material things, such as boulders which cannot magically float up in defiance of the law of gravity, or being able to move at a speed of over c, or interact at a distance over c, etc.

Cape Town

Moves
08 Dec 16
1 edit

Yes.

I predict you will now try your darnedest to misinterpret that to make a false claim about my beliefs.

Cape Town

Moves
08 Dec 16
1 edit

How do you intend to do an experiment on something that is not part of nature? It's not called natural science for no reason.
The same way you experiment on anything. And sorry to inform you, but it is called 'natural science' to distinguish it from other branches of - guess what - science.
And by the way, experiment is not a necessary requirement of science.

E

Moves
08 Dec 16

Yes.

I predict you will now try your darnedest to misinterpret that to make a false claim about my beliefs.
If you believe it is true, but it has not been demonstrated to be true, then you rely on something other than direct observation.

A true scientist who only bases beliefs on what can be seen must limit belief to what can only be seen. Such a person would say "according to the theory of evolution this animal evolved over time" as opposed to "this animal evolved over time". One statement attributes the observation to the theory then other makes a statement of fact.

E

Moves
08 Dec 16

"I believe it is the best explanation for what we observe"
generally implies
"I believe it probably/definitely is"
unless the person who is saying it is so irrational as to reject the best explanation for what we observe!
What's your problem?
Lets call that a "yes"; So .... so what of it?
It is a rational belief based on the evidence as opposed to an irrational belief not based on the evidence; what of it?
Simple yes or no.

Is the theory of evolution true?

h

Moves
08 Dec 16
2 edits

If you believe it is true, but it has not been demonstrated to be true,...
evolution has been demonstrated to be true (via the evidence, obviously).

Yes, the theory of evolution is true. So what? Your point?

D
Losing the Thread

Quarantined World

Moves
08 Dec 16

The same way you experiment on anything. And sorry to inform you, but it is called 'natural science' to distinguish it from other branches of - guess what - science.
And by the way, experiment is not a necessary requirement of science.
If it does not involve experiment, things like astronomical observations being a type of experiment, then it is not science.

E

Moves
08 Dec 16

evolution has been demonstrated to be true (via the evidence, obviously).

Yes, the theory of evolution is true. So what? Your point?
My point is that you base that belief on the assumption God does not exist.

In a court case we assume that God did not intervene because the world as we know it works according to nature. That is what we observe. Court cases deal with people who are not supernatural.

As I said earlier, the existence of our universe does not make sense according to natural laws. Everything has a beginning everything is from something. Natural explanations do not fit, but you believe in them anyhow. You have faith based on an assumption.

E

Moves
08 Dec 16

It looks like even those who believe in Science take a leap of faith sometimes.