Spiritosophy

Spiritosophy

Science

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
20 May 18
1 edit

Originally posted by @kazetnagorra
Well, son, considering I have a PhD in theoretical physics, and your credentials include a high school diploma from a rural American town paired with hours of intense browsing, I would submit that my analysis of the topic is quite a bit less brief and cursory as your own. It is straightforward to show that the Earth is approximately spherical in shape, which is why people did it thousands of years ago. No one educated has denied it ever since.
One would imagine that a person engaged in a particular activity every day would come to understand exactly what it is that they are doing.
Essentially, your field is not in the field.
Clearly, your field hasn't allowed for an historical understanding, either.
People didn't do it thousands of years ago; one person allegedly extrapolated the idea out from shadows in a well--- an experiment in desperate search for control.
Neither are you aware of the vast amount of educated people since that idea was first proffered who reject a spherical shape, apparently.
Perhaps you're just unclear on what constitutes education, really.
Who knows.
On one hand, you insist a loosely-configured "experiment" --- conducted by an uneducated rural man from ancient history is enough to seal the deal, while on the other hand, these days one can only understand anything worthwhile once they've been educated.

In your quest to achieve a PhD (no small accomplishment), you have joined a swollen group of hundreds of thousands of unsatisfied educated people, the majority of which are making much less than a guy who graduated from a rural high school.
Second from last in that rural class, by the way.

Coincidentally enough, one of your vaunted fellows of karaoke theses nailing wannabes works for me.
She makes less than one of my area manager.
Those hard-working folks bring in just a bit short of half the amount of my yearly intake, so that gives you an idea of her income.
In a field completely unrelated to her doctorate, because she can't get anything in that field which pays her anywhere close to what she can make doing what she's doing now.

How much did you pay for that education, exactly, son?

K

Germany

Moves
20 May 18

Originally posted by @freakykbh
One would imagine that a person engaged in a particular activity every day would come to understand exactly what it is that they are doing.
Essentially, your field is not in the field.
Clearly, your field hasn't allowed for an historical understanding, either.
People didn't do it thousands of years ago; one person allegedly extrapolated the idea out fr ...[text shortened]... can make doing what she's doing now.

How much did you pay for that education, exactly, son?
It's funny how you think science works: one person discovers something, and then the rest just calls it a day and no one ever challenges it again (except for the woke conspiracy theorists, of course)? The discovery that the Earth is approximately spherical in shape has been reproduced countless of times in countless different ways.

I got paid for getting my PhD and if you were getting a similar salary as I do straight out of high school I'd say you were a bit overpaid. I work full-time at a university doing research closely related to my PhD research.

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
20 May 18

It's funny how you think science works: one person discovers something, and then the rest just calls it a day and no one ever challenges it again (except for the woke conspiracy theorists, of course)? The discovery that the Earth is approximately spherical in shape has been reproduced countless of times in countless different ways.

I got paid for ge ...[text shortened]... it overpaid. I work full-time at a university doing research closely related to my PhD research.
It's funny how you think science works: one person discovers something, and then the rest just calls it a day and no one ever challenges it again (except for the woke conspiracy theorists, of course)?
What's funny is that you have failed to extrapolate out of my very clear articulations my view on science.
You cannot find a single line from anything I've ever put forward which even smells like what you're laying out here as my view of science.
It's almost as though you've set up a strawman argument.
It is assumed you have your reasons for doing so, but those reasons aren't really all that important.
What is important is that you are wrong in this assessment.
Retool; try again.

I got paid for getting my PhD...
And how do you pay them back?
That's called cost, professor.

...and if you were getting a similar salary as I do straight out of high school I'd say you were a bit overpaid.
Straight out of high school?
Who said I make the kind of money I make straight out of high school?
Is reading comprehension an afterthought for you?
You attempted to make education an issue--- which it clearly can be, but clearly is not necessarily a deal-breaker by any stretch of the imagination--- with your pejorative comment on rural high school.
Do you know any idiot PhD's?
I do.
In fact, I know plenty of them.
I also know plenty of uneducated geniuses.
There are rich and poor uneducated people.
There are rich and poor educated people.
The people venerated by science today--- those whose work became the basis of entire fields and thoughts within--- were, for the most part, uneducated.
And you scoff at uneducated me?
Sorry: uneducated, overpaid me?
Scoff away, son.

K

Germany

Moves
20 May 18

[b]It's funny how you think science works: one person discovers something, and then the rest just calls it a day and no one ever challenges it again (except for the woke conspiracy theorists, of course)?
What's funny is that you have failed to extrapolate out of my very clear articulations my view on science.
You cannot find a single line from anyth ...[text shortened]... uneducated.
And you scoff at uneducated me?
Sorry: uneducated, overpaid me?
Scoff away, son.[/b]
Education is a relevant issue here, since you are making statements about basic physics and geology, and your lack of knowledge on the topic is rather obvious.

The people venerated by science today--- those whose work became the basis of entire fields and thoughts within--- were, for the most part, uneducated.

Laughable nonsense.

h

Moves
20 May 18
8 edits

Laughable nonsense.[/b]
Indeed.
Was Niels boor 'uneducated'?
Was Einstein 'uneducated'?
Was Newton 'uneducated'?
lets see;

https://www.biography.com/people/niels-bohr-21010897
"...The young Bohr eventually attended Copenhagen University, where he received his master's and doctorate in physics by 1911..."

http://www.notablebiographies.com/Du-Fi/Einstein-Albert.html
"...Einstein mastered calculus ... by age sixteen.
..."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Early_life_of_Isaac_Newton
"Newton was educated at The King's School, Grantham
The study of Descartes's Geometry seems to have inspired Newton with a love of the subject, and introduced him to higher mathematics.
In January 1665 Newton took the degree of Bachelor of Arts. "

They probably had far far better education than most people at their time despite some difficulties the latter two listed there had with it.
Interestingly, both Einstein and Newton (don't know about Boor) really hated their education finding much of it (but certainly not all of it) boring and irrelevant.
Nevertheless, without any of it, they almost certainly would have achieved nothing (in science).

looking for loot

western colorado

Moves
20 May 18

Embracing or entertaining: either one is too hard for those in the embrace of dogma.
You responded to a loaded claim, and then made a real point. When you're right you are right. Dogma is opposed to critical thinking.

looking for loot

western colorado

Moves
20 May 18

Originally posted by @sonhouse
So answer my charge, you have to continuously turn left or right on the flat Earth equator.

You can't even answer something as simple as that.
Flat earths have equators? If you argue with people who don't get semantics right, aren't you wasting your time?

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
20 May 18

Education is a relevant issue here, since you are making statements about basic physics and geology, and your lack of knowledge on the topic is rather obvious.

[b]The people venerated by science today--- those whose work became the basis of entire fields and thoughts within--- were, for the most part, uneducated.

Laughable nonsense.[/b]
Circular logic.

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
20 May 18

Originally posted by @humy
Indeed.
Was Niels boor 'uneducated'?
Was Einstein 'uneducated'?
Was Newton 'uneducated'?
lets see;

https://www.biography.com/people/niels-bohr-21010897
"...The young Bohr eventually attended Copenhagen University, where he received his master's and doctorate in physics by 1911..."

http://www.notablebiographies.com/Du-Fi/Einstein-Albert.html
"...Ei ...[text shortened]... Nevertheless, without any of it, they almost certainly would have achieved nothing (in science).
Yes, indeed.
Now: find some people who, although venerated by science, were otherwise uneducated as we consider the term.

h

Moves
20 May 18
6 edits

... some people who, although venerated by science, were otherwise uneducated as we consider the term.
Like who?
Examples?
Show your own 'list' please...
Pretty unsurprisingly, the vast majority of commonly known people who made a noteworthy contribution to science had an education.
To contribute to science, it would be a huge help if you first learned something about it. That is why it is extremely unlikely that, for example, you could contribute anything to science; other than perhaps unintentionally to the science of psychiatry,

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
20 May 18
2 edits

uOriginally posted by @apathist
Flat earths have equators? If you argue with people who don't get semantics right, aren't you wasting your time?
Flatasssers don't deny there is an equator. But they have ZERO way of explaining that a circle on a flatish plane will REQUIRE turning left or right as long as you traverse that circular path and at the same time in reality the REAL equator requires no turns to stay on it all the way round the planet, and then they pull the 'well they are still turning' meaning it is on a 3D surface so going around a circular path but still no turn left or right turns needed EVER.
There IS no explanation for that simple fact and you may notice Freak will never BEGIN to answer that charge since it goes against his flat Earth religion which does not require evidence, just statements, ridiculous as they are.

This argument bypasses all the BS about how NASA ALWAYS lies or any physical measurements that have been made thousands of times.

There is also the problem of flying over a flat Earth, the path a plane would take going in a straight line passes over countries when going from point A to point B on the Earth, the places you fly over are totally different than the REAL Earth when flying on the circular paths on Earth, the places you fly over are totally different and there is no answer by the flatasssers for THAT either.

Further evidence flat Earth is a religion.

K

Germany

Moves
20 May 18

Yes, indeed.
Now: find some people who, although venerated by science, were otherwise uneducated as we consider the term.
Here's a homework exercise for you: go through the list of all Nobel Prize winners in physics. Do you think that "for the most part" they have non-academic backgrounds?

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
20 May 18

Here's a homework exercise for you: go through the list of all Nobel Prize winners in physics. Do you think that "for the most part" they have non-academic backgrounds?
Whoa.
The Noble Peace Prize is the bar?

If that's the standard for science, you win.
Such a corollary isn't supported by history--- or even reason.

But again, find the fathers of science.
Vet them with your accreditations.
If you can.

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
20 May 18

Originally posted by @humy
Like who?
Examples?
Show your own 'list' please...
Pretty unsurprisingly, the vast majority of commonly known people who made a noteworthy contribution to science had an education.
To contribute to science, it would be a huge help if you first learned something about it. That is why it is extremely unlikely that, for example, you could contribute anything to science; other than perhaps unintentionally to the science of psychiatry,
If you're going to begin dispensing medications, I'd like to see your price list, please.

looking for loot

western colorado

Moves
21 May 18

Originally posted by @freakykbh...
In your quest to achieve a PhD (no small accomplishment), you have joined a swollen group of hundreds of thousands of unsatisfied educated people, the majority of which are making much less than a guy who graduated from a rural high school.
Second from last in that rural class, by the way.

Coincidentally enough, one of your vaunted fellows of karaoke theses nailing wannabes works for me.
She makes less than one of my area manager....
Which doesn't make you right. It does make you something though.