Should dolphins have rights? (Scientific perspective)

Should dolphins have rights? (Scientific perspective)

Science

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
12 Feb 10
2 edits

Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
You made your point after his opening statement, then accused him of lying. Is this a case of preemptive lying? Don't be a dick.

That said, you are correct in pointing out that the scientists did not say 'dolphins should be granted rights', although one of them seems to think so -- since to regard someone as a person is clearly to regard them as a person invested with rights, if you believe in such things.
No, one of them doesn't think dolphins should be granted rights. One of them thinks dolphins have rights. There's a very important difference. If you can grant other peoples' rights, you can choose not to grant other peoples' rights. The whole point of rights is that other people (e.g. King George) cannot decide you don't have them any more. I know you and wolfgang find this distinction pointless and my bringing it up offensive, but I find the idea that anyone feels they have the power to "grant" or not grant the rights of others repugnant. It's also not consistent with rights theory, and I think it's important to point this out every time the same mistruths are repeated, whether the person telling the mistruth likes it or not.

Did the USA "grant" the black slaves their rights? No, the USA stopped violating the slaves' rights. The slaves always had rights.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
12 Feb 10

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
This is the third thread on the topic. He made the last two as some sort of attack aimed at me. He refuses to acknowledge my comments and instead keeps making new threads with the same mistruths I've already pointed out and asking me not to participate.

It's some kind of childish attempt to avoid having to deal with my point because he doesn't li ...[text shortened]... This is getting kind of weird. You're been very aggressive toward me lately it seems.
I don't have a personal problem with you. I did find your 'LYING' post unwarrantedly aggressive & more than a little strange. I guess that's because I can't judge your intentions remotely and your writing doesn't shed any light on them either. I now understand more clearly your objections, but you're making a fairly paranoid impression.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
12 Feb 10
2 edits

I don't have a personal problem with you. I did find your 'LYING' post unwarrantedly aggressive & more than a little strange. I guess that's because I can't judge your intentions remotely and your writing doesn't shed any light on them either. I now understand more clearly your objections, but you're making a fairly paranoid impression.
I'm making a paranoid impression, you're making an aggressive impression, six of one half a dozen of the other...good job implying my annoyance is some failing of mine instead of a reasonable objection to your hostility.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
12 Feb 10

No, one of them doesn't think dolphins should be granted rights. One of them thinks dolphins have rights. There's a very important difference. If you can grant other peoples' rights, you can choose not to grant other peoples' rights. The whole point of rights is that other people (e.g. King George) cannot decide you don't have them any more. I kn ...[text shortened]... ts? No, the USA stopped violating the slaves' rights. The slaves always had rights.
Yes, they always had rights, the rights of slaves. Then slavery was legislated away and they acquired the status of citizens. So in fact the legislature did have the power to grant rights.

It's like when the franchise was extended to women: they acquired the right to vote. I should point out that in many instances women have had limited status as persons precisely because of perceptions of their 'nature', as judged and acted on by male legislators.

Perhaps instead of fixating on terms like 'nature', 'right' and 'grant', we could talk about whether certain legal protections enjoyed by human beings should be extended to dolphins. Would that work better?

At the same time, if there is an overlap between human and dolphin nature, surely there must be an overlap in the rights that they enjoy 'by virtue of their nature'?

And incidentally, why should rights theory as it pertains in the USA be considered universally applicable?

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
12 Feb 10

I'm making a paranoid impression, you're making an aggressive impression, six of one half a dozen of the other...good job implying my annoyance is some failing of mine instead of a reasonable objection to your hostility.
Annoyance is one thing, accusing someone of lying is another.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
12 Feb 10

Annoyance is one thing, accusing someone of lying is another.
And in both cases I am right. I rightfully challenged his repeated mistruths (which after being challenged could only be lies), and I rightfully got annoyed at your hostility.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
12 Feb 10

Yes, they always had rights, the rights of slaves. Then slavery was legislated away and they acquired the status of citizens. So in fact the legislature did have the power to grant rights.

It's like when the franchise was extended to women: they acquired the right to vote. I should point out that in many instances women have had limited statu ...[text shortened]... should rights theory as it pertains in the USA be considered universally applicable?
Perhaps instead of fixating on terms like 'nature', 'right' and 'grant', we could talk about whether certain legal protections enjoyed by human beings should be extended to dolphins. Would that work better?

Absolutely. I suggested this a while ago but was ignored.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
12 Feb 10

It's like when the franchise was extended to women: they acquired the right to vote. I should point out that in many instances women have had limited statu ...[text shortened]... should rights theory as it pertains in the USA be considered universally applicable?
Do you realize the natural consequence of your saying black slaves didn't have the same rights as non slaves is that it was not immoral to torture and kill them - that the US government changed what was moral when it changed what rights they had - that slave traders were perfectly virtuous people?

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
12 Feb 10

And incidentally, why should rights theory as it pertains in the USA be considered universally applicable?

Why do you think that I believe this? I talk about rights because it's considered universally applicable, not because I think it SHOULD be universally applicable.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
12 Feb 10

And in both cases I am right. I rightfully challenged his repeated mistruths (which after being challenged could only be lies), and I rightfully got annoyed at your hostility.
LOL

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
12 Feb 10

[b]Perhaps instead of fixating on terms like 'nature', 'right' and 'grant', we could talk about whether certain legal protections enjoyed by human beings should be extended to dolphins. Would that work better?

Absolutely. I suggested this a while ago but was ignored.[/b]
Fantastic. Let's pursue this avenue of thought. You go first 🙂

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
12 Feb 10

Do you realize the natural consequence of your saying black slaves didn't have the same rights as non slaves is that it was not immoral to torture and kill them - that the US government changed what was moral when it changed what rights they had - that slave traders were perfectly virtuous people?
It's not a natural consequence at all. Why should ethics be founded on a theory of rights? I prefer an ethics founded on virtue. It's simply ignoble to go around molesting people.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
12 Feb 10

Why do you think that I believe this? I talk about rights because it's considered universally applicable, not because I think it SHOULD be universally applicable.
You give the perception that you so believe.

Clearly its not considered universally applicable. The rule of law doesn't even pertain in China, for example.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
12 Feb 10

You know, there are PMs, Clubs, etc for your private conversations. This insistence you have on asserting that others' rights are something you choose to grant or take away is very dangerous and I don't want you spreading it in public without challenge. In any case you are LYING. I won't let you get away with that simply because you're annoyed that I keep pointing it out.
Just noticed that I have been accussed of LYING. Must say I'm a bit miffed with that - I do talk rubbish sometimes but I have never lied. Why would I?

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
12 Feb 10

Originally posted by wolfgang59
Just noticed that I have been accussed of LYING. Must say I'm a bit miffed with that - I do talk rubbish sometimes but I have never lied. Why would I?
Because you failed to be persuaded by ATY's argument, it seems. Never fear, though, we have moved on to better things 🙂