1. SubscriberAverageJoe1
    Gimme It! Free Stuf!
    Lake Como
    Moves
    01 Mar '23 22:53
    Blocking solar rays suggested. Google it, I guess. Too much for me. Has to be some rogue conservatives gone amuck.
  2. Subscribermlb62
    mlb62
    Moves
    06 Mar '23 04:43
    @averagejoe1 said
    Blocking solar rays suggested. Google it, I guess. Too much for me. Has to be some rogue conservatives gone amuck.
    better still...put up a Dyson sphere..
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    11 Mar '23 06:28
    @mlb62
    There you go, put a Dyson sphere around our planet, then let the place see what it would be like to have the sun totally blocked off, maybe it was a secret weapon to freeze out the enemy, and cleverly designed vanes lets sun into the motherland but those dirty FRAUDS calling themselves a country, see how they deal with 100 below for years on end.
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    13 Mar '23 04:59
    @sonhouse said
    @mlb62
    There you go, put a Dyson sphere around our planet, then let the place see what it would be like to have the sun totally blocked off, maybe it was a secret weapon to freeze out the enemy, and cleverly designed vanes lets sun into the motherland but those dirty FRAUDS calling themselves a country, see how they deal with 100 below for years on end.
    Hey, it might make a great sci fi story, they put up a Dyson around Earth but went too far and made the world totally cold, oceans frozen and such and it was up to these two hero's to secretly launch a spacecraft to punch holes in the sphere so sunlight can reach Earth again....

Let's see, Bruce is out, maybe Matt can do it, he did pretty good on the Martian, right?
  5. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    13 Mar '23 11:47
    There is already Larry Niven : Ringworld to expolre some of the concepts in well written and thought out SciFi.
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    14 Mar '23 08:13
    @Ponderable
    Yeah, I know about Ringworld.

Ringworld is the size of the solar system if I remember right,
    but I was imagining a tiny Dyson sphere say ten thousand km bigger than Earth completely enclosing it allowing zero solar energy to get to Earth.......
  7. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    14 Mar '23 12:38
    @mlb62 said
    better still...put up a Dyson sphere..
    The irony. Freeman Dyson knew global warming theory was bunk.

https://e360.yale.edu/features/freeman_dyson_takes_on_the_climate_establishment
  8. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    14 Mar '23 12:40
    @averagejoe1 said
    Major league stupid idea.
    People who support the idea should be tested for mental illness.
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    15 Mar '23 04:08
    @Metal-Brain
    Which is why it is called science FICTION.
    if human science advances unabated by wars and climate change, maybe in ten thousand years we can actually build a Dyson sphere but probably not even then and I think the idea of the sphere will prove to be not needed because other better tech makes that kind of thing superfluous.
  10. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    16 Mar '23 09:28
    @sonhouse said
    @Metal-Brain
    Which is why it is called science FICTION.
    if human science advances unabated by wars and climate change, maybe in ten thousand years we can actually build a Dyson sphere but probably not even then and I think the idea of the sphere will prove to be not needed because other better tech makes that kind of thing superfluous.
    Wars emit a lot of CO2.
    By your own logic GW cannot be controlled until you control war. War is ruining the planet and we keep exporting weapons to prolong wars. The military industrial complex does not want CO2 reduction. Ending all wars is not in their interest. They even do foreign policy analysis to promote wars. You are paying for them.
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    17 Mar '23 05:29
    @Metal-Brain
    You go from one weird tale to another. What about cow farts? I heard they are a danger to GW too.....
  12. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    17 Mar '23 16:20
    @sonhouse said
    @Metal-Brain
    You go from one weird tale to another. What about cow farts? I heard they are a danger to GW too.....
    Whataboutism is not the democrat way.
    Why are you adopting the republican way of thinking?
  13. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    17 Mar '23 18:58
    @sonhouse said
    @Ponderable
    Yeah, I know about Ringworld.

Ringworld is the size of the solar system if I remember right,
    You don't, at least not by surface area. It's both much, much, much larger and much, much, much smaller than you think. Yes, someone less Libertarian and more numerate than Niven actually did the maths.
  14. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    18 Mar '23 15:20
    @Shallow-Blue
    If Ringworld was around OUR solar system, I would assume it would be about the size of Earth's orbit, say 160 million km from the sun which would put the object more than 10 million km from Earth. I assume it would be in solar equatorial orbit itself so we could still see stars.
    Of course, if you could actually build such a thing you wouldn't need Earth....
    I wonder how many planets would have to be totally used for such a project and how long would it take to actually build? Using previous numbers, 160 million km from its sun, 320 million km diameter, and circumference about 1 billion km,
    If they could do 1000 km per year, it would take 1000 years to finish......
    I bet there would be a huge party when they did finish it๐Ÿ™‚
  15. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    18 Mar '23 16:03
    @sonhouse said
    @Shallow-Blue
    If Ringworld was around OUR solar system, I would assume it would be about the size of Earth's orbit, say 160 million km from the sun which would put the object more than 10 million km from Earth. I assume it would be in solar equatorial orbit itself so we could still see stars.
    Of course, if you could actually build such a thing you wouldn't need Earth....
    ...[text shortened]... t would take 1000 years to finish......
    I bet there would be a huge party when they did finish it๐Ÿ™‚
    Yeah, you clearly haven't read the books. Let alone done the maths.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree