Metallic hydrogen found?

Metallic hydrogen found?

Science

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
31 Jan 20

https://gizmodo.com/after-an-80-year-quest-scientists-have-almost-certainl-1841332239

So my question is this: If they have in fact made metallic hydrogen, and they release the pressure on the diamond anvils, does it revert back to normal H2?

If it does, what good is metallic hydrogen other than a means to study it?
If it stays metallic, then I could see a manufacturing process where the diamond anvil continuously presses to the 400 Gpa or so to make a bit of the stuff and shoving it out as a tiny piece of metallic hydrogen and keep on doing that till you get significant volumes of the stuff.
But if it just turns back into a gas even after it is proven to be metallic, sounds like it is just a scientific curiosity rather than something that could actually be manufactured in large volumes.

bunny knight

planet Earth

Moves
03 Feb 20

@sonhouse said
https://gizmodo.com/after-an-80-year-quest-scientists-have-almost-certainl-1841332239

So my question is this: If they have in fact made metallic hydrogen, and they release the pressure on the diamond anvils, does it revert back to normal H2?

If it stays metallic, then I could see a manufactur ...[text shortened]... t a scientific curiosity rather than something that could actually be manufactured in large volumes.
Sure would be cool to wear metallic hydrogen clothing, but that's probably not possible. It reminds me of neutronium; if a teaspoon of neutronium were to appear on Earth's surface, it would simply expand and cause total life extinction.

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
03 Feb 20

@sonhouse said

If it stays metallic, then I could see a manufactur ...[text shortened]... t a scientific curiosity rather than something that could actually be manufactured in large volumes.
It is very clear that metallic hydrogen is not thermodynamically stable, but in theory the decomposition could be kinetically limited.

The Problem is, if by some means the decomposition starts, all the Energy is distributed in a Flash, I would wear clothing made from metallic hydrogen I would fear to vanish in a Cloud of smoke...

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
03 Feb 20

@Ponderable
Why is it clear metallic H is thermodynamically unstable? If folks just THINK they have made the stuff how would they be able to do other than think it is unstable?

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
03 Feb 20

@sonhouse

May I understand you in the way that you think that metallic Hydrogen could be the thermodynamically stable modification at room temperature and by some Freak quirk it just can't be brought into that??

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
03 Feb 20

@Ponderable
Can you restate that more clearly? I didn't suss what you were saying.

w

Moves
03 Feb 20

@sonhouse said

Never mind that man! I want metallic Helium. I want rocks that float!

bunny knight

planet Earth

Moves
03 Feb 20

@whodey said
Never mind that man! I want metallic Helium. I want rocks that float!
I'd still prefer metallic gold to either of those.

w

Moves
03 Feb 20

@bunnyknight said
Great! That means I have to go allllll the way to Saturn's rign for floating rocks.

What a way to put me out! No skin off your back I suppose.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
03 Feb 20

@whodey

You need anti hydrogen to get there though.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
04 Feb 20

@bunnyknight said
Metallic H or He would be worth more than gold

bunny knight

planet Earth

Moves
04 Feb 20

@AThousandYoung

By the way, some scientists speculate that Jupiter's core could be a diamond nearly as big as Earth.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
04 Feb 20
2 edits

@bunnyknight
Mining it would be a bitch though😉

bunny knight

planet Earth

Moves
04 Feb 20

@sonhouse said
@bunnyknight
Mining it would be a bitch though😉
Exactly my thoughts.
Probably the only way to get to it might be to slam Jupiter with a heavy moon to break up the core, and then retrieve the scattered diamond chunks.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
04 Feb 20

@bunnyknight
Which of course would reduce the price of diamonds to 10 cents a pound since we would have millions of tons of the stuff.
Be great for electronics though, diamond is the best heat conductor outside of heat pipes so a layer of diamond maybe 10 nm thick would make a great contractor thick heat moving substrate going to a computer chip with ten billion transistors on it....