Humans have destroyed over 80% of mammals:

Humans have destroyed over 80% of mammals:

Science

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
25 May 18

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2018/05/23/humans-destroyed-83-all-wild-mammals-new-study-finds/639184002/

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
25 May 18

Originally posted by @sonhouse
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2018/05/23/humans-destroyed-83-all-wild-mammals-new-study-finds/639184002/
You should even the score and take one for their team by taking yourself out.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
25 May 18

Originally posted by @freakykbh
You should even the score and take one for their team by taking yourself out.
Only if you off yourself first

w

Moves
25 May 18

Of course. Take one look down from an airplane and ask "where would wild animals live? On that small patch of grass at the center of the rows and rows of cul-de-sacs?"

Unless you managed to make your way to a national forest, we're all captive now.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
26 May 18

Originally posted by @wildgrass
Of course. Take one look down from an airplane and ask "where would wild animals live? On that small patch of grass at the center of the rows and rows of cul-de-sacs?"

Unless you managed to make your way to a national forest, we're all captive now.
My question would be after the extinction of humans what will the recovery of Earth life look like?

h

Moves
27 May 18
1 edit

My question would be after the extinction of humans what will the recovery of Earth life look like?
It would be overrun by talking apes because some jerk drove one mad enough to shout "NO"'.

looking for loot

western colorado

Moves
28 May 18

We move in, all the big things die.

I think this is part of the reason we are quarantined.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
29 May 18
1 edit

Originally posted by @apathist

This would surprise me not. Aliens may be being extremely careful to keep signals we could recover from reaching us.

It may not matter though, we could theorize only one advanced life form gets to live in a galaxy. So we could in that situation listen to radio waves, IR, laser and so forth and there would be nothing but there would be one in Andromeda and one in each of the Magellenic clouds, and the problem there is it takes for instance minimum of 175,000 odd years for signals to reach us from the clouds and a million years to reach us from Andromeda.

So we get nothing.

Or only say 10 advanced civilization can exist at the same time in any given galaxy and in a galaxy 100,000 ly like ours more or less, would be average 10,000 light years apart so the signals could pass each other like ships in the night, say a wavefront of signals 5000 years long (the length of time a civilization either does it and then can't or does it and its technology advanced to the point they don't need RF or lasers anymore, whatever reason, that wavefront say started out 50,000 years ago and passed us by 45,000 years ago, only 45,000 years too early for our tech to catch the wave.

Or conversely, a signal starts out today and we don't even have the possibility of receiving it for 10,000 years which does us no good because our tech civilization may only last say 5000 years max. So no signals picked up EVER. `

looking for loot

western colorado

Moves
30 May 18

... and the problem there is it takes for instance minimum of 175,000 odd years for signals to reach us from the clouds and a million years to reach us from Andromeda...

Do you see a flood coming?

looking for loot

western colorado

Moves
30 May 18
1 edit

I guess you've met this kind of stuff.

edit if right now all people died

Über-Nerd

Moves
30 May 18

H. saps is an invasive species. We are a plague on the biosphere.

looking for loot

western colorado

Moves
31 May 18

In our defense, as we become successful the birth rate drops. Maybe it isn't hopeless.

Über-Nerd

Moves
31 May 18

In our defense, as we become successful the birth rate drops. Maybe it isn't hopeless.
Every species which overpopulates and craps its habitat ensures its own demise. We are not immune to laws of nature, but we act as if we were.

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
31 May 18

Originally posted by @moonbus
H. saps is an invasive species. We are a plague on the biosphere.
All hale the Biosphere.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
31 May 18

Originally posted by @freakykbh
All hale the Biosphere.
So perspicacious, so LADEN with wisdom.