How did water come to the earth?

How did water come to the earth?

Science

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
13 Nov 13

Originally posted by Kewpie
I thought this was quite a good explanation of the prevailing scientific view.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/How-Did-Water-Come-to-Earth-208340301.html
The fact - Scientist don't know.

The following is quoted about the water on the moon:

In September 2009, after decades of speculation, evidence of water on the surface of the Moon was discovered for the first time. Chandrayaan-1, a lunar probe launched by India’s space agency, had created a detailed map of the minerals that make up the Moon’s surface and analysts determined that, in several places, the characteristics of lunar rocks indicated that they bore as much 600 million metric tonnes of water.

In the years since, we’ve seen further evidence of water both on the surface and within the interior of the Moon, locked within the pore space of rocks and perhaps even frozen in ice sheets. All this has gotten space exploration enthusiasts pretty excited, as the presence of frozen water could someday make permanent human habitation of the Moon much more feasible.

The Instructor

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
13 Nov 13

Originally posted by RJHinds
The fact - Scientist don't know.

The following is quoted about the water on the moon:

[b]In September 2009, after decades of speculation, evidence of water on the surface of the Moon was discovered for the first time. Chandrayaan-1, a lunar probe launched by India’s space agency, had created a detailed map of the minerals that make up the Moon’s surfac ...[text shortened]... ld someday make permanent human habitation of the Moon much more feasible.

The Instructor[/b]
And I can't wait to hear your main point in all this. We actually knew all about the discovery of water on the moon and Mercury and Mars. I presume this means you think you have evidence for creationism out of all this.

Australia

Moves
13 Nov 13

If you want to argue with a creationist, please go to the Spirituality Forum. Most of us here are sick of the topic which has nothing whatsoever to do with science.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
13 Nov 13

Originally posted by Kewpie
If you want to argue with a creationist, please go to the Spirituality Forum. Most of us here are sick of the topic which has nothing whatsoever to do with science.
Yes, you are right. I fall into it from time to time but usually manage to ignore them.

rain

Moves
19 Nov 13
1 edit

Originally posted by humy
they are not "guesses". For example, we know that much of the water come to Earth via icy comets colliding with the early-Earth. There are several other known sources of this water. For example, we know that magma has surprisingly huge amounts of hidden water dissolved in it and this is released as steam from volcanic eruptions which, of course, eventually cond ...[text shortened]... ntributed to the water in the oceans which is, of course, a pretty academic trivial uncertainty.
Originally posted by KazetNagorra
Hydrogen is the most common and oxygen is the third most common element in the Milky Way galaxy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abundance_of_the_chemical_elements

My issue with these two theories, is that it doesn't explain why the earth has soooooooo much more of it in comparison to other planets or even moons.

K

Germany

Moves
19 Nov 13

Originally posted by vivify
[b]Hydrogen is the most common and oxygen is the third most common element in the Milky Way galaxy.

My issue with these two theories, is that it doesn't explain why the earth has soooooooo much more of it in comparison to other planets or even moons.[/b]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_giant

h

Moves
19 Nov 13
2 edits

Originally posted by vivify
[b]Hydrogen is the most common and oxygen is the third most common element in the Milky Way galaxy.

My issue with these two theories, is that it doesn't explain why the earth has soooooooo much more of it in comparison to other planets or even moons.[/b]
liquid water can only exist within a temperature range and pressure that is narrow compared to the typical temperature ranges and pressures that exist on moons and planets of our solar system. For example, there couldn't possibly be liquid water on the surface of the Earth's Moon because there is zero pressure there and no liquid can exist at zero pressure. And the reason why there is no liquid water on Venus is because it is too hot there although there are vast quantities of liquid sulfuric acid droplets in its cloud layer.

Actually, there are huge amounts of liquid water below the surface ice of the moon Europa which has more water than the entire Earth. So there is no mystery to be explained here.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
19 Nov 13

Originally posted by sonhouse
And I can't wait to hear your main point in all this. We actually knew all about the discovery of water on the moon and Mercury and Mars. I presume this means you think you have evidence for creationism out of all this.
Water and frozen water could have cooled the moon.

The Instructor

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
19 Nov 13

Water and frozen water could have cooled the moon.

The Instructor
And if I had been buddies with Bill Gates in 1982 I too would be a billionaire but that didn't happen and neither did water cool the moon. Words like preposterous, ridiculous, stupid come to mind for that hypothesis.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
21 Nov 13

liquid water can only exist within a temperature range and pressure that is narrow compared to the typical temperature ranges and pressures that exist on moons and planets of our solar system. For example, there couldn't possibly be liquid water on the surface of the Earth's Moon because there is zero pressure there and no liquid can exist at zero pressure. And ...[text shortened]... Europa which has more water than the entire Earth. So there is no mystery to be explained here.
But the pressure on the moon is not zero.

The Instructor

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
21 Nov 13

But the pressure on the moon is not zero.

The Instructor
Any means to desperately support your idiotic theory. LOOK, I saw an entire MOLECULE float by on the surface of the moon, surely that means there could be liquid water there.......

h

Moves
21 Nov 13
3 edits

Originally posted by sonhouse
Any means to desperately support your idiotic theory. LOOK, I saw an entire MOLECULE float by on the surface of the moon, surely that means there could be liquid water there.......
You mean he STILL cannot accept the proven scientific fact that liquid water cannot exist in the vacuum of space thus cannot exist on the surface of the Moon? I just don't think it is worth reasoning with this opinionated moron who cannot ever admit when he is wrong (which is all the time )

Planet Rain

Moves
22 Nov 13

Originally posted by KellyJay
How did water come to the earth, or did it form on earth?

I've read a couple of guesses, what say you?
Kelly
"On the eight day, God was majorly hung-over and tooketh a mighty leak upon the world. And it was awesome."

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
23 Nov 13

You mean he STILL cannot accept the proven scientific fact that liquid water cannot exist in the vacuum of space thus cannot exist on the surface of the Moon? I just don't think it is worth reasoning with this opinionated moron who cannot ever admit when he is wrong (which is all the time )
Maybe there is water underground.

The Instructor

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
23 Nov 13

Maybe there is water underground.

The Instructor
But you are really not interested in science so why do you bother to post here?